The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC22
Corbett set the tempo for the final game and it is all but amazing that the Florida Gators were able to win this game. It is testimony to Donovan keeping his composure and his players able to step up and hit big shots when it counted down the stretch. I have TiVo and could review each call as it was made. The foul called on Horford at the beginning of the game was a "message" call. One of the worst calls in a big game I have ever seen. Corbett and crew clearly intended to protect Oden and make him a star. There was nothing any of the Florida players could do. If they touched Oden they were whistled for a foul. Even when Richards had his arm against Oden's back to keep Oden from leaning back and pushing him down under the basket Richards was whistled. Just absolutely atrocious officiating, particularly by Corbett. Just awful.
And your analysis is based on what rules interpretation or POE?? Do you officiate many games? Shoot ANY games? Or are you just speaking on behalf of "joe fan"? The answer is obvious.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:04am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Corbett set the tempo for the final game and it is all but amazing that the Florida Gators were able to win this game. It is testimony to Donovan keeping his composure and his players able to step up and hit big shots when it counted down the stretch. I have TiVo and could review each call as it was made. The foul called on Horford at the beginning of the game was a "message" call. One of the worst calls in a big game I have ever seen. Corbett and crew clearly intended to protect Oden and make him a star. There was nothing any of the Florida players could do. If they touched Oden they were whistled for a foul. Even when Richards had his arm against Oden's back to keep Oden from leaning back and pushing him down under the basket Richards was whistled. Just absolutely atrocious officiating, particularly by Corbett. Just awful.
Go away, dickhead. NCAA fanboy season ended last night. Sorry, but we're now closed to idiots like you until the NBA playoffs start.

Shoo, shoo......
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

I gotta agree. Florida did a tremendous job of overcoming an official that was obviously out to make sure they lose. They let Oden get by with murder and didn't blow the whistle. Jeez, you'd think out of an entire nation of officials they could find 3 that are unbiased. (I just thought I'd try to post like a fan and see how it works. )
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Keep to facts, don't attack the messenger

I had no dog in this fight. I actually reside in Cincinnati and pulled hard for Ohio State to defeat Florida in the football final. My point is clear and there can be no disputing it, Oden was the media darling and the refs, particularly Corbett, were set on making him a star. Oden has been hyped all season as though he were the next Alcindor or Walton. The guy is not even remotely close to either in skill set.

But, again, sticking to the facts, how could you interpret Horford's defense on Oden as a foul a minute and a half into the game? How can Richards be whistled for a foul for placing his arm, not elbow, up against Oden to keep him from backing him down? You know as well as I do that an official can make or break a player or game? Corbett was hellbent on doing that last night. Perhaps he has aspirations of moving up to the NBA. Who knows?

I've played a lot of basketball, both high school and college. You needn't attempt to denigrate my observations by classifying me as simply "joe fan." In fact that tells a great deal about your mindset regarding those who are watching this great game.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I had no dog in this fight. I actually reside in Cincinnati and pulled hard for Ohio State to defeat Florida in the football final. My point is clear and there can be no disputing it, Oden was the media darling and the refs, particularly Corbett, were set on making him a star. Oden has been hyped all season as though he were the next Alcindor or Walton. The guy is not even remotely close to either in skill set.

But, again, sticking to the facts, how could you interpret Horford's defense on Oden as a foul a minute and a half into the game? How can Richards be whistled for a foul for placing his arm, not elbow, up against Oden to keep him from backing him down? You know as well as I do that an official can make or break a player or game? Corbett was hellbent on doing that last night. Perhaps he has aspirations of moving up to the NBA. Who knows?

I've played a lot of basketball, both high school and college. You needn't attempt to denigrate my observations by classifying me as simply "joe fan." In fact that tells a great deal about your mindset regarding those who are watching this great game.
Our "mindset" is that 99.9% of the fans who don't officiate are clueless regarding how a game is officiated, while 90% of the fans think you just steal a referee shirt from Foot Locker and start working college games.

So, again, how many NCAA games HAVE you officiated? How many games at all? Fanboy, go home.

Last edited by Rich; Tue Apr 03, 2007 at 10:13am.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:11am

Quote:
Corbett set the tempo for the final game and it is all but amazing that the Florida Gators were able to win this game. It is testimony to Donovan keeping his composure and his players able to step up and hit big shots when it counted down the stretch. I have Tito and could review each call as it was made. The foul called on Horford at the beginning of the game was a "message" call. One of the worst calls in a big game I have ever seen. Corbett and crew clearly intended to protect Oden and make him a star. There was nothing any of the Florida players could do. If they touched Ogden they were whistled for a foul. Even when Richards had his arm against Oden's back to keep Oden from leaning back and pushing him down under the basket Richards was whistled. Just absolutely atrocious officiating, particularly by Corbett. Just awful.
That's what champions do. They step up.

I'm sure the officials pregamed that they didn't want Oden to get in foul trouble early with nothing ticky-tack. If you're going to call one on him, make sure it's legitimate.

If you're talking about that foul call on the break where there was no contact. We talked about that in the bar last night, and the player has to take some ownership of getting that call blown against him. He doesn't make that swipe, official has no reason to put air in the whistle. The thing about it, is anybody can make a mistake. If I'm going to make a mistake, I'd rather do it early in the game then late in the game. The point is, you didn't continue to see calls like this thru-out the rest of the game which tells me this was a call to get the referee going. Now that I made that first call, I'm ready to officiate. I call it getting settled into the game. I thought they settled into this game very nicely because the 2nd half was very well called.

It's easy to sit back after the fact and say you would have did this or that. Let me tell you, when you're working big games like that. There is another element you can't see. It's call stage fright, being in the lime light, front and center stage. You got to get those pre-gitters out of you just like the players do. We all get it and if you say you don't you're lying. Once you start running and getting into your routine, things start to settle down for you and you begin to see and think clearly. That be the way it is...no exceptions, nobody escapes this.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Give me a break. Perhaps if you knew anything about officiating, you'd know rough post play has been a POE all season, and particularly in the tournament. It was a foul, called early in the game because.....IT WAS A FOUL. If you for one second believe that Corbett was biased in his officiating, then you are absolutely insane.

The "joe fan" classification is appropriate for you. You're not interested in having a well officiated game, but rather, with "letting them play." I mean really, why do officials call traveling, especially the little ones. We should just "let them play." The game is over, Corbett (and the rest of the crew) did a fantastic job, and I would say all of them will be in the running for a repeat performance next year.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Go away, dickhead. NCAA fanboy season ended last night. Sorry, but we're now closed to idiots like you until the NBA playoffs start.

Shoo, shoo......
I haven't watched the NBA for years. It is no longer basketball. Do you know it was a foul if you even touched a player when Dr. Naismith invented this great game? It is a shame people of your calibre are even allowed to put on the striped uniform. Too many officials have become so intimidated by the star players and coaches that they cower over their disapproval. They are like puppy dogs seeking approval from those who may propel their careers to new heights, or at least allow them to officiate the big games.

The game is in a sad state right now. On a positive note, though, with a good new director and commissioner college and professional basketball could be returned to its greatness once again, BY SIMPLY ADHERING TO THE RULES. Imagine that!
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On a positive note, though, with a good new director and commissioner college and professional basketball could be returned to its greatness once again, BY SIMPLY ADHERING TO THE RULES. Imagine that!
You wouldn't know a rule if it bit you in the A$$!
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Stupid monkeys.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
BC22, IMO, you make some very good points...but I can also guarantee you, they will not be heard here.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:30am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I've played a lot of basketball, both high school and college. You needn't attempt to denigrate my observations by classifying me as simply "joe fan."
Gee, let me be the first to apologize. I didn't know that you played basketball. That obviously makes you an expert on officiating.

Just to set the record straight, no one called you "Joe Fan" either. The term usually used here is "ignorant fanboy azzhole".

Sooooooo......piss off, fanboy.

Shoo, shoo.......

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Apr 03, 2007 at 10:35am.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_Ref
I'm not talking about the NBA...I'm talking about the NCAA tournament. L has called across the lane MORE than I can EVER remember! The whole freaking lane seemed to be the L's responsibility at times...and the C was all too often not involved. What have we heard for years? "The key to a well-refereed game is having a strong C."
I know that you weren't talking about the NBA but my point is that in the high school and NCAA level (on average) the officials don't get into position as fast and as well as the NBA officials do.

I watch NBA games just so that I can watch where the officials place themselves on the court. From my observations they do a hell of a job getting in the right place at the right time. I will pause the television when they are about to shoot, or on rebounding, etc. in order to see where the 3 officials are at that time. When I do this with high school or NCAA games I tend to see more officials straight-lined and/or out of position.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
I know that you weren't talking about the NBA but my point is that in the high school and NCAA level (on average) the officials don't get into position as fast and as well as the NBA officials do.

I watch NBA games just so that I can watch where the officials place themselves on the court. From my observations they do a hell of a job getting in the right place at the right time. I will pause the television when they are about to shoot, or on rebounding, etc. in order to see where the 3 officials are at that time. When I do this with high school or NCAA games I tend to see more officials straight-lined and/or out of position.
Agreed 100%! The NBA officials are the very best at getting into position. They virtually NEVER get straight-lined!
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The game is in a sad state right now. On a positive note, though, with a good new director and commissioner college and professional basketball could be returned to its greatness once again, BY SIMPLY ADHERING TO THE RULES. Imagine that!
BC I agree with you that the game is in a sad state. The salaries in the NBA, the troubles of recruiting and the graduation rate of a student athlete, the hip-hop culture of the game to the point where the athlete thinks he can do whatever he wants without consequences, all of this may have or may not have anything to do with the STATE of the game. What you fail to understand is this is an officials forum. If you or Indy are insinuating that the current state of the game of basketball is due to the officials not "adhering to the rules", then you (fanboy), and refs like Indy and OS don't have a clue. In today's high tech environment, there is very little that an official can and cannot do that is not so closely scrutinized by people with actual rules and mechanics knowledge. In some cases, if not most, every call we make can and is scrutinized by supervisors, assignors, evaluators, clinicians or whatever. So for you (fanboy), and people like Billy Packer to insinuate that the game of basketball is in a sad state due to the officiating is totally asinine. My .02.
Closed Thread