The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Worst Weekend Ever (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/33351-worst-weekend-ever.html)

ref18 Mon Apr 02, 2007 01:25pm

Worst Weekend Ever

I just finished the worst weekend I've ever had.

15 games, tossed 2 coaches, gave about 10 techs.

No one has any respect anymore.

I can honestly say in 6 years, I've never considered hanging up the whistle. Until last weekend.

It just sucked.

:(

JRutledge Mon Apr 02, 2007 01:32pm

What kind of games were you working? I would quit working that kind of ball before I gave it up completely.

Peace

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Apr 02, 2007 01:38pm

Has to be AAU ball.

Ch1town Mon Apr 02, 2007 01:40pm

Only 241 days until 2007 - 2008 H.S. Basketball Season Starts Thursday, November 29, 2007! :)

JRutledge Mon Apr 02, 2007 01:40pm

It does not have to be.

Peace

JRutledge Mon Apr 02, 2007 01:43pm

November 19, 2007

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town
Only 241 days until 2007 - 2008 H.S. Basketball Season Starts Thursday, November 29, 2007! :)

My HS seasons starts much earlier than that. I will beat you by 10 days (at least for the HS season).

Peace

ref18 Mon Apr 02, 2007 01:46pm

Our equivalent to AAU ball.

Yeah, I can't wait for the HS season to begin again too.

When they pay $33 a game, and you're a college student, there are factors that are going to make you keep doing it.

tmp44 Mon Apr 02, 2007 01:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref18
Our equivalent to AAU ball.

Yeah, I can't wait for the HS season to begin again too.

When they pay $33 a game, and you're a college student, there are factors that are going to make you keep doing it.

Ref18,

Details???? Were the ejections kids or coaches?

And $33 for an AAU game?? I wish we got that around here!!!

Ch1town Mon Apr 02, 2007 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
My HS seasons starts much earlier than that. I will beat you by 10 days (at least for the HS season).

Peace

Yeah I'm working out of "The Mile High City" by way of "The Windy City"... everything is a tad bit s l o w e r out this way.

ref18 Mon Apr 02, 2007 02:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmp44
Ref18,

Details???? Were the ejections kids or coaches?

And $33 for an AAU game?? I wish we got that around here!!!

Grade 8 boys games, ejections and T's were all coaches.

Kids are reasonably well behaved, except for the one I got for taunting.

JoeTheRef Mon Apr 02, 2007 02:09pm

Quote:

I can honestly say in 6 years, I've never considered hanging up the whistle. Until last weekend.:(

Did you learn anything from the weekend? Was there anything in your game management that you could've done to prevent 1,2 or all 10 techs? Do you pre-game the coaches and captains? I know it's only AAU or YBOA, but I pre-game the coaches at the 3 minute mark, and I let them know that SPORTSMANSHIP is a requirement, and their fans are their responsibility. If you let them know up front what you are and aren't going to put up with, then it may help during your game. If anything, it'll show the coach that you have your $h!t together. If you're just tossing the ball up, then they're going to assume that they can coach and act the same way that they've always acted. And as always, players take on the same personality of their coaches. Just my .02.

Junker Mon Apr 02, 2007 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
Did you learn anything from the weekend? Was there anything in your game management that you could've done to prevent 1,2 or all 10 techs? Do you pre-game the coaches and captains? I know it's only AAU or YBOA, but I pre-game the coaches at the 3 minute mark, and I let them know that SPORTSMANSHIP is a requirement, and their fans are their responsibility. If you let them know up front what you are and aren't going to put up with, then it may help during your game. If anything, it'll show the coach that you have your $h!t together. If you're just tossing the ball up, then they're going to assume that they can coach and act the same way that they've always acted. And as always, players take on the same personality of their coaches. Just my .02.

Well said. Those weekends suck, but I think most officials go through them, I know I did. I used to pregame only with the coaches and explain that sportsmanship was THE priority. it seemed to help sometimes. The other trick I used was when I knew I was on the same court for 5 or six games, I'd be really quick on the trigger in the first game. Usually there were fans, coaches or players I'd see throughout the day. Send the message early.

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Apr 02, 2007 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
Well said. Those weekends suck, but I think most officials go through them, I know I did. I used to pregame only with the coaches and explain that sportsmanship was THE priority. it seemed to help sometimes. The other trick I used was when I knew I was on the same court for 5 or six games, I'd be really quick on the trigger in the first game. Usually there were fans, coaches or players I'd see throughout the day. Send the message early.

....AND often!!

JoeTheRef Mon Apr 02, 2007 03:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker

15 AAU games in one weekend is a ton. I know our AAU games are stop clock, and they scheule them every 1 1/2 hours. That's a lot of ball. My feet would be killing me. That's why I tend to do no more then 8-10 a weekend. I caught myself being sick and tired of those coaches by game 10, and anyone after that would probably feel the brunt of my patientless whistle.. :D

truerookie Mon Apr 02, 2007 03:34pm

[QUOTE=JoeTheRef]15 AAU games in one weekend is a ton.

I agree 15 games is a ton and 10 games is 2000 pounds. :D In AAU ball no more then 4-6 games during a weekend. If it's a two day weekend no more then 6. Three day weekend, I MIGHT stretch it to 8. We got newer officials who needs the repetitions.

Mwanr1 Mon Apr 02, 2007 03:41pm

[QUOTE=truerookie]
Quote:

15 AAU games in one weekend is a ton.

I agree 15 games is a ton and 10 games is 2000 pounds. :D In AAU ball no more then 4-6 games during a weekend. If it's a two day weekend no more then 6. Three day weekend, I MIGHT stretch it to 8. We got newer officials who needs the repetitions.

14+ this weekend (over 4 days) for me. It should be interesting to see and hear crazy psycho maniac coaches....

JoeTheRef Mon Apr 02, 2007 03:42pm

[QUOTE=truerookie]
Quote:

15 AAU games in one weekend is a ton.

15 @ $33 game is pretty good weekend. Plus the OP is still in college and has young legs. I wish we were getting $33 a game down here.

Mwanr1 Mon Apr 02, 2007 03:48pm

[QUOTE=JoeTheRef]
Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie

15 @ $33 game is pretty good weekend. Plus the OP is still in college and has young legs. I wish we were getting $33 a game down here.

$33 is alot for AAU. Joe - where are you from?

OHBBREF Mon Apr 02, 2007 03:53pm

We are getting $ 25 for AAU in Cincy
boys with 7 or 8 minute quarters
and girls with up to 18 minute stop and go halves.

not enough on the girls side.

running not more than 3 in row - 5 in day max.

But there are those young guys who work more. They are nuts.

JoeTheRef Mon Apr 02, 2007 03:56pm

[QUOTE=Mwanr1]
Quote:

$33 is alot for AAU. Joe - where are you from?

I'm in Georgia, and we're getting $22 for girls. 16, 18, 20 minute halves stop clock every whistle unless we can get to the mercy rule. Then it's running.

Mwanr1 Mon Apr 02, 2007 04:07pm

[QUOTE=JoeTheRef]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mwanr1

I'm in Georgia, and we're getting $22 for girls. 16, 18, 20 minute halves stop clock every whistle unless we can get to the mercy rule. Then it's running.

$22 per game is grossly underpaid. Considering gas price is sky high, working 2-3 games often can only cover the cost of gas driving to the gym

Old School Mon Apr 02, 2007 04:53pm

Quote:

I can honestly say in 6 years, I've never considered hanging up the whistle. Until last weekend.

It just sucked.

:(

That's why I say, you got to take care of business. Sometimes calling a technical can make matters worse.

Part of your problem can be attributed to working too many games in a row. You were mentally tired and you're not doing the game or those teams any service when you are in this state. Limit your games in a day and I think you will be fine. These coaches are paying upwards of $300 or more to play and they get out there and get some ref's that are tired and missing a lot of calls, that's a problem. You can't blame the coaches for being upset either. They should get some fresh referee's, but they got money hungry you, sucking up all the games. They paid there money but they're not getting their dollars worth. Look at it this way, you just earned your money the old fashion way. Me, I try to limit myself to 4 games in a day. I stay away from assigners who try to push me to do more.

Mwanr1 Mon Apr 02, 2007 05:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old School
These coaches are paying upwards of $300 or more to play and they get out there and get some ref's that are tired and missing a lot of calls, that's a problem.

OHH That's BS - I don't give a sh*t how much money they put out. Yelling and screaming at the refs, at whatever level, should not be tolerated.

Quote:

They paid there money but they're not getting their dollars worth. Look at it this way, you just earned your money the old fashion way.

They don't pay us - they pay for their teams to play. We are not a well understood bunch outside the business. Who do you know that likes to be yelled at, degraded and threatened, knowing it will happen consistently while we work and the only compasion anyone will ever show is when we are seriously injured? Make sure to include we are grossly underpaid.

Camron Rust Mon Apr 02, 2007 05:28pm

[quote=Mwanr1]
Quote:

$22 per game is grossly underpaid. Considering gas price is sky high, working 2-3 games often can only cover the cost of gas driving to the gym

After your other comment on gas and this, you're either the king of exaggerations, you're mathematically challenged, you live in Frisco and work games in LA, or you drive someone else's Bugatti Veyron at full throttle (2.1 mpg @ full throttle). :eek:

Old School Mon Apr 02, 2007 05:28pm

Quote:

OHH That's BS - I don't give a sh*t how much money they put out. Yelling and screaming at the refs, at whatever level, should not be tolerated.

I agree with your take on yelling and screaming, but remember, they would not be doing this if you are taking care of business. Contrary to popluar belief, coaches just don't yell and scream for no reason at all.

Quote:

They don't pay us - they pay for their teams to play. We are not a well understood bunch outside the business. Who do you know that likes to be yelled at, degraded and threatened, knowing it will happen consistently while we work and the only compasion anyone will ever show is when we are seriously injured? Make sure to include we are grossly underpaid.

You need to have a gut check here. This is the type of business officiating is. Some nights are worse than others but when you put that uniform on, you gotta know it's going to be coming at you. Believe it or not, I don't have very many problems like this anymore in my AAU games until of course, I get tired and I'm not as attentive to everything I need to be. BTW, the money they collect from the teams goes to pay for you.

Mwanr1 Mon Apr 02, 2007 05:54pm

[QUOTE=Camron Rust]
Quote:

After your other comment on gas and this, you're either the king of exaggerations, you're mathematically challenged, you live in Frisco and work games in LA, or you drive someone else's Bugatti Veyron at full throttle (2.1 mpg @ full throttle). :eek:

Of course I'm exaggerating - DUH :eek: ! We all know it isn't $50 dollars eac
time driving to a damn gym. For me, when I officiate AAU game, I have to drive 60 miles each way (V8 vehicle). Since I'm not mathematically challenged, I will break it down for you.

60 miles each way = 120 miles. 20 miles/gallon highway & 18 miles/gallon street.

120 miles / 18 miles per gallon = 6.666 gallons
6.666 gallons x 3.69 (PREMIUM in San Francisco) = $24.60.

I don't keep track of millage anymore - it's pointless. Ohh I forgot to mention, to operate a motor vehicle cost money too (insurance, ware and tear, maintance, etc). All I'm saying is to take off time away from work and family to officiate 3 AAU games isn't really worth it for many people. BUT I love officiating and enjoy doing it. So even though I don't make much out it, I do it because i love it!!!

smoref Mon Apr 02, 2007 06:13pm

Quote:

I agree with your take on yelling and screaming, but remember, they would not be doing this if you are taking care of business. Contrary to popluar belief, coaches just don't yell and scream for no reason at all.

You need to have a gut check here. This is the type of business officiating is. Some nights are worse than others but when you put that uniform on, you gotta know it's going to be coming at you. Believe it or not, I don't have very many problems like this anymore in my AAU games until of course, I get tired and I'm not as attentive to everything I need to be. BTW, the money they collect from the teams goes to pay for you.

I have ignored you long enough, I just can't hold it anymore.

YOU ARE AN IDIOT

To say that you never have problems doing AAU ball is either a complete lie are you are doing 1st graders.

Yesterday, in my first game I had a nice little pregame with the coaches and explained what I expected from them, yada yada. I called a foul and the coach stood in front of the table and was blocking the view of the score keeper. I politely asked him to go back in front of his bench. A few minutes later he was out of his box again complaining. I whacked him and we moved on. After the game he came over and apologized for being out of line and said we did a great job. He also lost the game.

I was not tired or being lazy and he was acting out of line and he was wrong. That was one of 4 T's I had this weekend. The other three were basically the same scenario

Go back to fairy tail land or coaching. What ever is your reality

ChrisSportsFan Mon Apr 02, 2007 06:28pm

I'd like to agree with several other posters here (not about gasoline prices or holding a rules clinic with fans), I don't work these games to listen to the parents or coaches act like idiots. I think it's a great time to work on certain aspects of my game management but not the time to see how patient I can be with someone who is thinking they are going to say or act in such a way to influence my calls. If it gets to that point, I choose to offer a warning and then issue the T if it continues. It amazes me how many guys will offer the warning and then don't follow it up if needed. They keep going back and offer more warnings and then they complain about the coaches. Just like others have said, issue the T and I've seen countless times where the coach will come back with an apology after they've had time to consider their actions. I don't look for it but sometimes they will learn and then next time you're on their game it's soooooo much easier.

Another thing I do with these games is make sure I am working with a quality partner who I know will take care of their business if needed.

Adam Mon Apr 02, 2007 06:30pm

Every single T I've called on a coach in AAU has made the game better. Funny how it works every time.

ChrisSportsFan Mon Apr 02, 2007 06:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Every single T I've called on a coach in AAU has made the game better. Funny how it works every time.

perfect:cool:

26 Year Gap Mon Apr 02, 2007 06:43pm

I work 3 games on one day of a two game tournament or 2 on 1 off 2 on. We get paid $30 per game. I use it to work on positioning and other stuff I felt I was weak on during the season. This past weekend was great--no money grubbers while I was there. And all three games went by without a hitch. No Ts, no problems. Of course they all won't be that way, but it was nice to have a weekend set that went smoothly.

ChrisSportsFan Mon Apr 02, 2007 06:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
I work 3 games on one day of a two game tournament or 2 on 1 off 2 on. We get paid $30 per game. I use it to work on positioning and other stuff I felt I was weak on during the season. This past weekend was great--no money grubbers while I was there. And all three games went by without a hitch. No Ts, no problems. Of course they all won't be that way, but it was nice to have a weekend set that went smoothly.

I've heard some areas do that (sit out a game thing). If I'm there for 4 games, then let me work them and go. I don't want to be there for 5 games and get paid for 4. I sureasheck don't want to sit a game and then have to stretch out again.

26 Year Gap Mon Apr 02, 2007 07:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
I've heard some areas do that (sit out a game thing). If I'm there for 4 games, then let me work them and go. I don't want to be there for 5 games and get paid for 4. I sureasheck don't want to sit a game and then have to stretch out again.

Are you 50 yet?

Old School Mon Apr 02, 2007 07:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoref
I have ignored you long enough, I just can't hold it anymore.

YOU ARE AN IDIOT

To say that you never have problems doing AAU ball is either a complete lie are you are doing 1st graders.

I did not say that, now go back and read my posts and try it again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoref
Yesterday, in my first game I had a nice little pregame with the coaches and explained what I expected from them, yada yada. I called a foul and the coach stood in front of the table and was blocking the view of the score keeper. I politely asked him to go back in front of his bench. A few minutes later he was out of his box again complaining. I whacked him and we moved on. After the game he came over and apologized for being out of line and said we did a great job. He also lost the game.

I was not tired or being lazy and he was acting out of line and he was wrong. That was one of 4 T's I had this weekend. The other three were basically the same scenario.

Go back to fairy tail land or coaching. What ever is your reality

My reality is not to whack a coach because he's standing in front of the table while I'm trying to report a foul in an AAU game. I have been doing this for a long time. I figured a few things out but to say that all my games are perfect would be a lie. The majority of my games I don't have a problem because I work hard at being an effective communicator. A part of the job they don't really teach you. I use to umpire and do adult wreck softball. You learn a few things when you got 20 beer drinking men, all with baseball bats and attitudes and you are the single guy in charge of the game and controlling the fans. You develop this attitude.

The art of communicating. I remember a softball game I had where in the top half of the 1st inning this player had on a football helmet playing left field. When he came in, I was like, what is that on your head, take it off. Player and his coach and all the other guys on his team, the other umpires let him play with it on. I said fine, he can leave it on! Everytime he comes up to bat, he will be automatically out, but, he can leave it on. You should have seen how quick he took that helmet off. My point is, you don't have to carry a big stick to get your point across. You control the game, take control and keep control. We are going to all (players, coaches, fans) respect one another in this game. Remember, if you give respect, you will get respect in return. That is my reality.