The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

How many signals are giving when reporting a violation?
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

1. Count the bucket (if necessary)
2. Color
3. Number
4. Foul (Hit, block, PC.....)
5. Resulting Action (Shots, spot of ball, etc...)

edit Dummy me. After seeing Rockyroad's response below, I realize I have commented on actions for a foul, not a violation.

[Edited by Danvrapp on Dec 4th, 2001 at 02:57 PM]
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 03:53pm
Esteemed Participant

When reporting a violation, there should be 4 arm motions...hand up on whistle (open hand), signal violation (travel, double dribble, etc), point new direction, and point at spot for throw-in...the violation, color, and spot are also verbalized...
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
When reporting a violation, there should be 4 arm motions...hand up on whistle (open hand), signal violation (travel, double dribble, etc), point new direction, and point at spot for throw-in...the violation, color, and spot are also verbalized...
When I call traveling, double dribble, palming, etc. I never verbalize.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

BktBallRef, I am just curious; is there a particular reason why you do not verbalize the call or is that just personal preference? I personally verbalize the call, simply because I have been reffing Jr. High games and I have received some very stupid looks from players when they don't seem to understand which direction they are going. I'm not trying to be snotty, just working on how I do things. Thanks!
Matt
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

I also verbalize but in the officials manual there is no requirement that a violation be verbalized (p. 42)
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MattRef
BktBallRef, I am just curious; is there a particular reason why you do not verbalize the call or is that just personal preference? I personally verbalize the call, simply because I have been reffing Jr. High games and I have received some very stupid looks from players when they don't seem to understand which direction they are going. I'm not trying to be snotty, just working on how I do things. Thanks!
Matt
As paulis stated, there's no requirement to verbalize, so why do it. Sometimes when officiating, the more you say, the more trouble you can get into.

Off the top of my head, the only violations that I ever verbalize are 3 seconds and a FT lane violation. Since these violations are usually by a player without the ball, I usually verbalize the violation, color, and number of the player who violated.

Think about it. If you call traveling, double dribble, palming, or OOB, everyone knows that it was the player with the ball that violated. Also, these signals are pretty common. I believe even the normal, clueless fan knows what the travel signal is.

Soumthing else that I don't do? I don't verbalize what the foul is when I report. Why? Again, the manual doesn't require it and the more you say, the more trouble you can get into. I verbalize color, number, signal the foul, and then verbalize the shots, if we're shooting. But to say "Push" or "Hold" is just asking for a coach to make a comment. Signal and get outta there.

JMHO

Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Exclamation Beware extra fouls in book

Tony,

I agree with your thoughts on verbalization. However, be careful in those instances where you do tell who the violation was on, i.e. 3 seconds or lane violations. You may have an overzealous scorer who was drafted for the night that does not really understand the game. This well-meaning person may record a foul in the book.

Just a thought.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

It's a thought but I've never had that happen. I'm not in the reporting area and I don't face the table.

Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BktBallRef
Think about it. If you call traveling, double dribble, palming, or OOB, everyone knows that it was the player with the ball that violated.
[/QUOTE}

Tony (big T)
I've had coaches ask "Which number?" after I signalled travelling. My guess is they aren't really paying any attention to the game, or they're just trying to "work" the ref. I respond, "The one that had the ball..." in a sort of "huh?" tone of voice.

Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

rainmaker -- I like your reply -- almost a Daveism(sp??)
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Think about it. If you call traveling, double dribble, palming, or OOB, everyone knows that it was the player with the ball that violated.
[/QUOTE}

Tony (big T)
I've had coaches ask "Which number?" after I signalled travelling. My guess is they aren't really paying any attention to the game, or they're just trying to "work" the ref. I respond, "The one that had the ball..." in a sort of "huh?" tone of voice.
Juulie-

Ever administer a FT, yell "2!", signal with 2 fingers and then have some knucklehead ask, "How many ref?"

You just can't win!

Tony

Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Ever administer a FT, yell "2!", signal with 2 fingers and then have some knucklehead ask, "How many ref?"

You just can't win!

Tony
Every game! I do not answer verbally, because that could distract the shooter. I simple signal with my fingers low, near my waist, out of the shooter's view.

As for verbalizing on violations, we're taught to do so here, thus it is expected. We also keep it short, using "walk" as a nice, crisp word, instead of "traveling" which will come out who knows how.

My personal signal when a player barely steps on a side or end line is:
  1. Open hand up with whistle
  2. Point to the line and say loudly "line"
  3. Point the wrong way and say the color
I find that the word "line" answers the guaranteed question "What'd they do?" and works well, plus makes it obvious where the inbound will be. The extra, not-by-the-book action consumes ~0.3 seconds. I expect an evaluator will question it at some point but for now it is one of my personal idiosyncrasies that I believe adds to the game.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking of pointing the wrong way, how do you guys remember what way to point? It seems that at least 3-4 times per game I call out "BLUE!" and point the way white is going.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Speaking of pointing the wrong way, how do you guys remember what way to point? It seems that at least 3-4 times per game I call out "BLUE!" and point the way white is going.
Good. That just means you're normal