The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Throw-in after technical

Is there ever a situation in which the throw-in spot would be at the POI instead of the division line after the free throws for a technical foul? The reason I ask is, my partner called a T on a A1 for slamming his hands on the floor while he was down. At the same time B1 had the ball at his disposal OOB for a throw-in after a made shot and I started the 5 second count. After administrating the free throws for the T, I grabbed the ball and started for the division line and my partner said because the ball was live when the T was called, we go to POI for the throw in. I thought for sure that the throw in after a T was ALWAYS at the division line. But being the obedient new guy that I am, I hustled down to the end line and we continued on. Was my buddy right on this?
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 09:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski
1)Is there ever a situation in which the throw-in spot would be at the POI instead of the division line after the free throws for a technical foul?

2) Was my buddy right on this?
No and no under NFHS rules.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

J.R. is, of course, correct for the situation in your original post. If there were a double technical foul, then you would resume play using POI as per 4-36-1.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

in NFHS it is possible, but rare, if you have a technical foul after time has expired in a period, but befor the period has ended.

Sitch: A1 fouls B1 on a shot attempt by B1 and while the ball is in the air the horn sounds and time expires in the quarter. While the official reports the foul, Coach A receives a unsporting technical foul.

You would administer the free throws to B1 for the shooting foul and then the technical foul free throws to any Team B member before the quarter ended. Since penalties can not carry over from one quarter to the next you would start the next quarter as usual with an AP throw in.

Don't have the case book right in front of me, but I looked it up one time this year.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Your partner is wrong for NFHS - It is at the division line.
Your partners explaination is wrong for NCAA -
In almost all T's in NCAA the ball goes POI rather than the division line
Exceptions
Excessive timeouts in womens
Intentional Technical mens
Flagrant Technicals both
there might be another one (I don't have my book)

But that is the way it works.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoInZebra
in NFHS it is possible, but rare, if you have a technical foul after time has expired in a period, but befor the period has ended.

Sitch: A1 fouls B1 on a shot attempt by B1 and while the ball is in the air the horn sounds and time expires in the quarter. While the official reports the foul, Coach A receives a unsporting technical foul.

You would administer the free throws to B1 for the shooting foul and then the technical foul free throws to any Team B member before the quarter ended. Since penalties can not carry over from one quarter to the next you would start the next quarter as usual with an AP throw in.

Don't have the case book right in front of me, but I looked it up one time this year.
You are correct about how to administer that situation, however, the throw-in for the T still doesn't go to the POI. It simply disappears and is never administered.