Official Forum Member

Jon Diebler fanboy update

The following story on our patron saint:

Diebler's 48-point effort sets division record in tight loss
Sunday, March 25, 2007 3:35 AM
By Mark Znidar

The Columbus Dispatch

KYLE ROBERTSON Dispatch
Dayton Dunbar's Anthony Oden blocks the shot of Upper Sandusky's Jarryd Nelson in a frenetic back-and-forth game that included 38 fouls, 42 turnovers and 20 steals.

The 2007 Division II state basketball tournament will go down forever as Jon Diebler's personal showcase.

Diebler, an Upper Sandusky guard, scored a Division II-record 48 points in the championship game yesterday. It was the third-highest point total in tournament history behind the 53 Jerry Lucas scored for Middletown in 1956 and the 51 by Clark Kellogg for Cleveland St. Joseph in 1979.

Dayton Dunbar players are OK with that. Diebler might have the numbers, but they've got the championship.

Diebler was surreal playing through a bloodied and broken nose in totaling 10 rebounds, five assists, three blocked shots and seven steals to go with his point total.

Note - Diebler's grandfather had passed away during the past week. Very emotional situation with the arena sold out 18000+. Crowd was really into it anytime he touched the ball. Then at halftime he took a cell call to confer with Steve Welmer on a couple of calls, performed some minor surgery and shined the shoes of the officiating crew. Game was great with 8 player control fouls called by the crew working. I sat up in the Bob Eucker seats. As I'm watching the game on commenting to my 14 year old son, the guy next to me says "you work basketball too?" Turns out he was an official also. Great conversation the rest of the game.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

I'm skeptical.

The real Jon wouldn't have let his team lose.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 01:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I'm skeptical.

The real Jon wouldn't have let his team lose.
We don't know what his long-term plan is, M&M. Maybe he's helping his teammates build character. You're such a skeptic.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

i have found that Jon works in mysterious ways.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 08:23pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaryrams
The following story on our patron saint:

Diebler's 48-point effort sets division record in tight loss
Sunday, March 25, 2007 3:35 AM
By Mark Znidar

The Columbus Dispatch

KYLE ROBERTSON Dispatch
Dayton Dunbar's Anthony Oden blocks the shot of Upper Sandusky's Jarryd Nelson in a frenetic back-and-forth game that included 38 fouls, 42 turnovers and 20 steals.

The 2007 Division II state basketball tournament will go down forever as Jon Diebler's personal showcase.

Diebler, an Upper Sandusky guard, scored a Division II-record 48 points in the championship game yesterday. It was the third-highest point total in tournament history behind the 53 Jerry Lucas scored for Middletown in 1956 and the 51 by Clark Kellogg for Cleveland St. Joseph in 1979.

Dayton Dunbar players are OK with that. Diebler might have the numbers, but they've got the championship.

Diebler was surreal playing through a bloodied and broken nose in totaling 10 rebounds, five assists, three blocked shots and seven steals to go with his point total.

Note - Diebler's grandfather had passed away during the past week. Very emotional situation with the arena sold out 18000+. Crowd was really into it anytime he touched the ball. Then at halftime he took a cell call to confer with Steve Welmer on a couple of calls, performed some minor surgery and shined the shoes of the officiating crew. Game was great with 8 player control fouls called by the crew working. I sat up in the Bob Eucker seats. As I'm watching the game on commenting to my 14 year old son, the guy next to me says "you work basketball too?" Turns out he was an official also. Great conversation the rest of the game.

Don't you mean Blark Kellogg?
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

According to the AP Diebler, always gave a portion of the net cut down after tournament wins to his grandfather.

The Dayton Dunbar coach made sure that Diebler got a portion of the net from the game on Saturday. Diebler apparently plans to put to have it buried with his grandfather.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

According to the AP Diebler, always gave a portion of the net cut down after tournament wins to his grandfather.

The Dayton Dunbar coach made sure that Diebler got a portion of the net from the game on Saturday. Diebler apparently plans to put to have it buried with his grandfather.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 08:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano

All kidding aside, that's a great gesture from that coach. Kudos to him.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
All kidding aside, that's a great gesture from that coach. Kudos to him.
Oy.

I can hardly tell what's real and what's not with the Diebler.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 10:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Comically, his career will likely be followed here like no other player's has before. I'm looking forward to it.