Official Forum Member

Jon Diebler fanboy update

The following story on our patron saint:

Diebler's 48-point effort sets division record in tight loss
Sunday, March 25, 2007 3:35 AM
By Mark Znidar

The Columbus Dispatch

KYLE ROBERTSON Dispatch
Dayton Dunbar's Anthony Oden blocks the shot of Upper Sandusky's Jarryd Nelson in a frenetic back-and-forth game that included 38 fouls, 42 turnovers and 20 steals.

The 2007 Division II state basketball tournament will go down forever as Jon Diebler's personal showcase.

Diebler, an Upper Sandusky guard, scored a Division II-record 48 points in the championship game yesterday. It was the third-highest point total in tournament history behind the 53 Jerry Lucas scored for Middletown in 1956 and the 51 by Clark Kellogg for Cleveland St. Joseph in 1979.

Dayton Dunbar players are OK with that. Diebler might have the numbers, but they've got the championship.

Diebler was surreal playing through a bloodied and broken nose in totaling 10 rebounds, five assists, three blocked shots and seven steals to go with his point total.

Note - Diebler's grandfather had passed away during the past week. Very emotional situation with the arena sold out 18000+. Crowd was really into it anytime he touched the ball. Then at halftime he took a cell call to confer with Steve Welmer on a couple of calls, performed some minor surgery and shined the shoes of the officiating crew. Game was great with 8 player control fouls called by the crew working. I sat up in the Bob Eucker seats. As I'm watching the game on commenting to my 14 year old son, the guy next to me says "you work basketball too?" Turns out he was an official also. Great conversation the rest of the game.