The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:29am
Esteemed Participant

How Many of You...

Just wondering here...how many of you regular posters who mainly officiate basketball have ever gone to the baseball/softball board or the football board and bashed the MLB umps doing the World Series of any other play-off games...or maybe blasted the NFL guys doing a play-off game??? I really can't believe it when some jack-*** comes on the basketball board and says "I do HS football" or "I've done baseball for 35 years" and then proceeds to tell us how bad the basketball officials are...so - how many of you have gone to one of their boards specifically to blast away at the officials in that sport?
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Just wondering here...how many of you regular posters who mainly officiate basketball have ever gone to the baseball/softball board or the football board and bashed the MLB umps doing the World Series of any other play-off games...or maybe blasted the NFL guys doing a play-off game??? I really can't believe it when some jack-*** comes on the basketball board and says "I do HS football" or "I've done baseball for 35 years" and then proceeds to tell us how bad the basketball officials are...so - how many of you have gone to one of their boards specifically to blast away at the officials in that sport?

Sure Rocky, I live for October so I can start dishing it out. Absolutely. It's an important part of my general overall personality of self-importance and arrogant over-control. I mean, Duh!
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:37am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I really can't believe it when some jack-*** comes on the basketball board and says "I do HS football" or "I've done baseball for 35 years" and then proceeds to tell us how bad the basketball officials are..
I think it's because people who don't referee basketball assume that it's no harder than reffing football or baseball or whatever they happen to officiate. Basketball is BY FAR the hardest sport that I've ever officiated. People who officiate a different sport probably just think "how hard can it be" and assume that we all just do a bad job. (And yes, I just crapped on every non-basketball official in the world! )
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I think it's because people who don't referee basketball assume that it's no harder than reffing football or baseball or whatever they happen to officiate. Basketball is BY FAR the hardest sport that I've ever officiated. People who officiate a different sport probably just think "how hard can it be" and assume that we all just do a bad job. (And yes, I just crapped on every non-basketball official in the world! )
I think too many one-sport people elevate their own sport to an underserved level of difficulty.

I work baseball and football along with basketball. All sports have their challenges. The hardest TASK I have is working the plate in a baseball game. The hardest ruleset to keep up with, for me, is football (I'm a white hat).

Basketball is the most running.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I officiate FB, BB, VB, and SB and would say that FB is the most difficult rules wise, while BB is the most difficult to call game wise. Those of you who do both probably would undestand what I am saying.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Rocky - good question.

Maybe we should start?

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 12:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

I work Football, Basketball and Baseball. I work at the highest level I work is Baseball. It is by far the easiest sport for me to work. The decisions are easily defined most of the time. It is either a strike or a ball. An out or a safe call, a home run or not. I do not even have to be consistent with my partner's calls when I umpire. As a football and basketball official, I have to work much more with partners and be on the same page with my partners.

So it cracks me up when a baseball umpire comes to a basketball board to talk about calls that are not close to anything in baseball. The game is not simple and black and white.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
I usually only go to the baseball board to remind Carl that he's a prick. Or when JR starts a good fight.

Other than that I don't bother the umpires too much. But when I do go it's usually around LL WS or MLB WS time & I do notice they really, really, really like to rip the guys they see on TV.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 12:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Sure Rocky, I live for October so I can start dishing it out. Absolutely. It's an important part of my general overall personality of self-importance and arrogant over-control. I mean, Duh!
I'm just impressed that you know when the World Series is.

I have been thinking of taking up a fall hobby.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 12:59pm
Courageous When Prudent

I only officiate basketball but I'm a huge NFL fan. I usually troll over to their board to asks a rules' question or why an official made a certain call based on the rules.

I only time I have been obstinent over there is when someone said the team who wins the opening coin toss only has 2 choices, receive or defend a goal. I say they had 3 choices, receive, defend a goal, or kick.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Mar 23, 2007 at 01:03pm.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 01:23pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
So I will mark you done as a "no" Juulie - that ok?? I go to the football board and ask rules questions - as a HS coach there are things that happen that I don't understand and I get answers there...but I don't go there and bash the NFL guys or the guys calling some NCAA Bowl game...I just don't get why officials from other sports come here and bash the basketball refs...
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 01:59pm
Huck Finn

I think it is a lack of respect.

I would like to think I know something about what an official must go through when making a call, but I know officiating other sports require knowing those rules.

Rut, some interesting comments.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

I never have but it sure sounds like fun!

Do we have to tak a licence out or a test before we go?
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 02:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF
I never have but it sure sounds like fun!

Do we have to tak a licence out or a test before we go?
not necessarily, but if you do, you can then say, "I know the rules, d@mmit, I've taken the test and am a certified baseball/football/soccer/cricket official."
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 07:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I work Football, Basketball and Baseball. I work at the highest level I work is Baseball. It is by far the easiest sport for me to work. The decisions are easily defined most of the time. It is either a strike or a ball. An out or a safe call, a home run or not. I do not even have to be consistent with my partner's calls when I umpire. As a football and basketball official, I have to work much more with partners and be on the same page with my partners.

So it cracks me up when a baseball umpire comes to a basketball board to talk about calls that are not close to anything in baseball. The game is not simple and black and white.

Peace
So you didn't like my tie goes to runner analogy?