The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Question

High School: A1 is closer to the division line than the 3-point arc. B1 is guarding A1 from the side within 6'. To illustrate, if you drew a line from A1 to the basket, and another line from A1 to B1, these two lines would form an angle of approximately 90 degrees. There is essentially no one between A1 and the basket.

The question is: Do you consider this closely guarded? (Never mind asking why the guard didn't simply drive to the basket. I often cannot explain the thinking, or lack thereof in the minds of players or coaches. The issue here is whether this positioning constitutes closely guarded.) Are you counting 5 seconds?
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have a perfect picture of what you are describing, so I see two different scenarios. If B1 is right on A1 and A1 is contesting the situation with B1 (i.e., B1 is really guarding A1 but has poor positioning), yeah sure, I would expect a 5 second count. If B1 is fairly passively 5.5 feet away and not really "guarding" A1, I would expect a no call. Somthing in between, have to see it to know what I would think of the sitch.

Also, I know this is sometimes more controversial, but if A1 is driving with clear line to basket and B1 is on them but to the side, I would expect no 5 second count (even if drive started 4 seconds into a 5 count on a dribbling A1). Not all agree I know, just my perspective on the intent of the rule.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 06:23pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Actionless contest.

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
High School: A1 is closer to the division line than the 3-point arc. B1 is guarding A1 from the side within 6'. To illustrate, if you drew a line from A1 to the basket, and another line from A1 to B1, these two lines would form an angle of approximately 90 degrees. There is essentially no one between A1 and the basket.

The question is: Do you consider this closely guarded? (Never mind asking why the guard didn't simply drive to the basket. I often cannot explain the thinking, or lack thereof in the minds of players or coaches. The issue here is whether this positioning constitutes closely guarded.) Are you counting 5 seconds?
Richard,
Man, that's thought provoking!
At first blush, I won't count based upon the "It doesn't feel right" rule. ( I'm not sure where you find that in the book).
If A1 is doing nothing, I may count in order to get something going. Oh, my!
mick
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

By rule, to be closely guarded (in short) a defensive player must be 1) Within 6 feet 2) located in the front court and 3) guarded by an opponent.

Guarding is defined as "the act of legally placing the body in the path of an offensive opponent". In addition, to obtain guarding position "the front of the guard's torso must be facing the opponent." If is understand the situation correctly this is not a closely guarded situation. Hope this helps.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2001, 07:25am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy
By rule, to be closely guarded (in short) a defensive player must be 1) Within 6 feet 2) located in the front court and 3) guarded by an opponent.

Guarding is defined as "the act of legally placing the body in the path of an offensive opponent". In addition, to obtain guarding position "the front of the guard's torso must be facing the opponent." If is understand the situation correctly this is not a closely guarded situation. Hope this helps.
Maybe the defender knows that this guy only has a right hand, that he always goes right and is standing on his right.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2001, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Also, I know this is sometimes more controversial, but if A1 is driving with clear line to basket and B1 is on them but to the side, I would expect no 5 second count
If A1 is head and shoulders past B1 there is no count.

[/i] I would expect no 5 second count (even if drive started 4 seconds into a 5 count on a dribbling A1). Not all agree I know, just my perspective on the intent of the rule. [/QUOTE]

The second part to this is that A1 has begun a move to the basket.
I know this is a different situation, but if a player is in the paint and begins to move to the basket at 2.5sec, there is no 3sec call even though they technically may have been in the lane for more than 3sec. (Rule 9-7: Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the restricted area for less than three seconds, dribbles in or moves to try for goal.). Would this apply in principle to a 5sec count on a guard who begins his/her move to the basket from the top of the key? I think not, but that is just my perspective on the intent of the rule.

Mike