The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 22, 2000, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Is there any advice for the following situation?
Last season I was leaving the floor (with my regular partner) after a third place contest in an x-mas tourney at this coach's school when he quietly asked why I was out to get him. I reported the remarks to his AD. I wanted it handled internly. The AD hired us for the tourney this year but not that coach's game.

The AD also hired us for a game for his school in a recent shootout jamboree. The coach became more irritating as the game progressed. After the fourth travel call on a particular player( she did a bunny hop before dribbling), he made a rude, unsportsmanslike comment to my partner. My partner gave him a T which was followed by "I bet you have been waiting the whole day for that." We passed on another T since the comments were close together. He was fine the last 1 1/2 quarters. Our conference assignor has us at his school next year. What should I do is this case? Take that game next season? Give it back? Talk to the coach after the season?

Thanks for the time!
Old Sat Jan 22, 2000, 07:57pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Why wouldn't you go back? Sounds to me like you did a great job - the coach was out of hand, your partner issued a techncial, and then the coach behaved the rest of the game.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2000, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

What amazes me is that you have your assignments for next year already?
Old Sat Jan 22, 2000, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Nothing really out of the ordinary there--just one of many coaches who feel they are getting shafted. I agree with Brad: You handled it great (esp. by passing on issuing a second "T"), and you should continue to work that coach's games if assigned to them. Just another night at the office. Sounds like the A.D. has no particular concerns about it, either.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2000, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

In my 1st year on the HS school level, I was assigned a game with a 30 yr veteran partner, at a school that was known to be tough on officials, well in that 1st game, I was forced to "T" both the home girls and boys coaches, I mean they left me know choices, either "T" them or I would have lost respect. Anyway, that was the only 2 "T's" I had to call the entire year on coaches, but to make a long story short, My assigning supervisor, gave me their 1st round distric game, and every thing went great. This year I have worked them 3 or 4 times with no problems. My supervisor was right to give me their games, because if you give it all you've got each night to work a good game, then you've done your job, and to not take their games, they would feel they have intimidated you, and believe me, at the coaches meetings and camps, etc... they would let the other coaches know you can be pushed around. My advice is work 'em all.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Always remember that your Assignors and Evaluators are looking for Referees not Umpires.
I have learned that you are better off not talking to coaches if you don't have to. I don't think you need to talk to this coach or worry about what happened in the game you mentioned.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
Thumbs up

As much as we might not want to think about it--coaches do remember us--especially if we have to do the T thing to them. The old addage about them testing the boundries of a new official are very true. I cannot think of a coach that I have T'd that ever gave me problems after that momentous occasion! I think that a good coach keeps a list of preferred officials, tolerateable officials, weak officials and scratchers. We all fit in one of those categories. T's and Video are great tools for us--coaches are reminded who is in charge by an occasional T, and they learn from game videos that most of us do a good job most of the time. Take the assignment, work your butt off, and have fun. If he did not want you there, you would have been scratched.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by crazyvol24 on 01-22-2000 10:43 PM
In my 1st year on the HS school level, I was assigned a game with a 30 yr veteran partner, at a school that was known to be tough on officials, well in that 1st game, I was forced to "T" both the home girls and boys coaches, I mean they left me know choices, either "T" them or I would have lost respect. Anyway, that was the only 2 "T's" I had to call the entire year on coaches, but to make a long story short, My assigning supervisor, gave me their 1st round distric game, and every thing went great. This year I have worked them 3 or 4 times with no problems. My supervisor was right to give me their games, because if you give it all you've got each night to work a good game, then you've done your job, and to not take their games, they would feel they have intimidated you, and believe me, at the coaches meetings and camps, etc... they would let the other coaches know you can be pushed around. My advice is work 'em all.

I don't know what kind of Association you come from, but how does a first year H.S. Referee get a District game? Heck, most 1st year officials I know can't even spell District!
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Take the game next year and look for every possible opportunity to 'stick' him. Referee with an attitude. Just kidding......sort of!

You know what I would do, buffet.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by divey on 01-27-2000 07:18 AM
I don't know what kind of Association you come from, but how does a first year H.S. Referee get a District game? Heck, most 1st year officials I know can't even spell District!

You dog-(LOL)
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

You did nothing wrong. If the coach still can't get over it, then it might be time to tell the assignor, that it is not worth it to keep going back and not receive any respect.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2000, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Thanks for all the help! My partner and I had a long talk at our next game and have decided to work ALL our assigned games, do our best,and let the coaches worry about whatever it is they worry about.

P.S.-My partner may see this coach later this season if his team makes the sectional?