The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 12:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Pretty sure in the picture the Xavier #1 player is holding Oden's left arm down. You'd better stick to SB and BSB, cuz if you want to call that one on Oden, you'd really be a bad BB official!
He's crying because he thinks Oden gets abused regularly.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Pretty sure in the picture the Xavier #1 player is holding Oden's left arm down. You'd better stick to SB and BSB, cuz if you want to call that one on Oden, you'd really be a bad BB official!
Really?

You mean Oden got fouled and there was no call?

Wow.

That has happened a mere 786 times this year.

A rarity I am sure.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Chances are better that the hold was overlooked - would anyone really see that kind of hold "as it appears in the still" and not call it? I don't think passing on that call would make anyone a legacy of being a good official. It's horrible to post a snapshot and try to make a case, though - maybe they both had their arms interlocked before this happened! A lot goes on that no doubt is classified as 'give and take' so no advantage gained and I'm sure any official who saw that, and the entire play from that point of view, would have sound reasoning behind not making the call.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
There is no point in Greg Oden playing anymore for free when typical plays like this all season long never get called.
Like it will get any better in the NBA. Go back and look at the tape and you can see that the Lead was straight-lined on this call - at the moment that picture was most likely taken, Center had a player between him and that matchup and no doubt had other things to look at. Posting the still shot was lousy.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 07:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
Chances are better that the hold was overlooked - would anyone really see that kind of hold "as it appears in the still" and not call it?
From an official's standpoint, it's impossible to call anything from that photograph. You simply have no idea who is holding who, if any. Fanboys don't understand that.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Oden should thank all the officials that have allowed him to play physical and the defenders to be physical with him. That's how it's gonna be a the next level.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Ad hominems instead of answers?
Ad hominem, hominy grits, who gives a ****

Another one on my ignore list.

I loved the player control call on Oden's swim move in the first half, BTW.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
Like it will get any better in the NBA. Go back and look at the tape and you can see that the Lead was straight-lined on this call - at the moment that picture was most likely taken, Center had a player between him and that matchup and no doubt had other things to look at. Posting the still shot was lousy.
Which was my only point. In the NBA he gets paid handsomely to get abused.

And it is interesting to see how many here will dismiss a photograph in one case, yet embrace another one, or a youtube video, to underscore their feelings.
Very few camera angles tell the story from the official's perspective and none of them, with the exceptions of timing and line calls, can ever be believed as proving or disproving the call on the floor or on the field.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:45am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Which was my only point. In the NBA he gets paid handsomely to get abused.

And it is interesting to see how many here will dismiss a photograph in one case, yet embrace another one, or a youtube video, to underscore their feelings.
Very few camera angles tell the story from the official's perspective and none of them, with the exceptions of timing and line calls, can ever be believed as proving or disproving the call on the floor or on the field.
Hey fan-boy, go back and read the discussions on the possible intentional foul again...you will see that posters who made comments about the officials being bad got pasted just like you have been...we are equal opportunity fan-boy bashers...
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Abused? Good grief, someone call child services.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

wow -- when you are done bending over and taking it from Oden tonight and the two of you are cuddling....

now that you have proven to us about your abilities as a baseball and softball umpire I must agree with you -- definitly looked like a foul. however the 50-100 snapshots before and after that are needed to determine who initiated the tangle-up and how quickly it might have been resolved and the angles the officials had of the play.

other than that go eat a turd.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:11am
Do not give a damn!!

This post proves to me why I say the things I do about baseball and softball umpires.

For the record I am a baseball umpire for about the same time as I have worked basketball.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:34am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
wow -- when you are done bending over and taking it from Oden tonight and the two of you are cuddling....

other than that go eat a turd.
ROFLMAO!! That is hilarious...other than the part about the turd - that's just gross!!
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am a registered baseball and softball official and have been for 35 years.

If you disagree with my post then explain the non-call and the willingness of most on here to base their view of an intentional foul on TV pictures.
Since you are a "registered baseball and softball official and have been for 35 years"....can you please explain how Don Denkinger called Jorge Orta safe at first base during the 9th inning of Game 6 in the 1985 World Series?

If you disagree with my post, then please explain this wrong-call and your willingness to bash basketball officials in this forum.