Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Yet another "you make the call"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmWxMV_RPHk
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks
I'm assuming you mean the last-second shot?

Even with the volume turned up to maximum, I couldn't hear a horn or buzzer. The "clock" on the video means nothing. I can only assume that the officials saw the ball get released before the horn, although I'd probably be going to the timer for some help with this one.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Agreed the clock in the corner is meaningless but it appears in sync at 0:09 at the free throw.

That shot could have been right AT the buzzer
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You (or at least I) can't tell anything. I can't hear the horn. At least the officials got together and discussed it.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agreed the clock in the corner is meaningless but it appears in sync at 0:09 at the free throw.

That shot could have been right AT the buzzer
It looked to me like the on-screen clock went a little long when the ball was called dead on the out of bounds. Should have been at 10, making the shot at the buzzer awfully close.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Like evryone else has mentioned, the clock on the screen maybe off. But, this comes down to mechanics. Who is responsible for the last second shot? It would be the C or T opposite the scorer's table (or at least that's how it is in our association). Look at the C at the position of the free throw and then look at the end of play he still at half court - he could not have made that last second shot call if he wanted to. Pre-game is important to this situation.

Prior to the 30 second count, I am speculating there was a break in the action. The officials should have got together and remind each other of the possiblility of a last second shot and be aware of it. They could have given each other a signal at the free throw to remind each other.

I don't know if they got it right or not. THey did the right thing by coming together and making a decision since no one knew or the one official responsible for making the last second call was not sure. But mechanically, they should have been communicating and signaling to each other on the last second shot. IMO.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Can't tell. Can't see a game clock and can't hear a horn.

Also have no idea if they got together at the last time-out or pre-gamed the clock.

Kudos to the blue team for showing good sportsmanship and shaking hands afterwards despite the heartbreaking end.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

I heard a whistle after the ball had left the rebounder hands.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
The mechanic I think they booted is running off the court after the game is officially over. They're standing there right in the middle of the winning fans. WOW!
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
The mechanic I think they booted is running off the court after the game is officially over. They're standing there right in the middle of the winning fans. WOW!
It didn't help that the official went right in front of the table to signal the goal as good. In a situation like this, I could see going over to the table, telling them to count it, then backing off before giving the signal.

I don't know about my partners, but I'd be heading for the door pretty quickly!
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
The C, who should have the shot in this got hung up at midcourt for some reason. I guess due to the action that was there. We essentially had 2 trails the entire play. I do hear a whistle too but who is it from? We always communicate as to who has the last shot. It may be they got the play correct but it was the TV clock that screwed things up. I also agree with the idea of going to the table to make the call. Call it good from the "reporting area" and get out of Dodge!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 07:46pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I hear what I believe is a whistle after the ball is released that eventually goes in the basket.