The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Had I not read it here... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/32676-had-i-not-read-here.html)

archangel Mon Mar 12, 2007 04:26pm

1st year basketball ref also, though 10 yrs of baseball and football.....This season worked out really well, 75 games, not too much coach complaints, several "coach, control your bench (asst coach) comments" that worked, 3 T's, but only 2 deserved,.....
3rd game of the season, 5th grade girls coach asks for a timeout, so I blow whistle, make a "T" with my hands, point to her. She asks loudly "What did I do?", I, of course, look at her like she's nuts, say "You wanted a timeout!"

Jurassic Referee Mon Mar 12, 2007 05:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by archangel
3rd game of the season, 5th grade girls coach asks for a timeout, so I blow whistle, make a "T" with my hands, point to her. She asks loudly "What did I do?", I, of course, look at her like she's nuts, say "You wanted a timeout!"

There's a funny little point to that one too......

The FED has said that it's OK for a coach or player to use the "T" signal to request a timeout. However, they don't want officials to use the same signal for that reason. The NFHS wants the usage of the "T" signal by officials reserved only for signaling technical fouls.

The approved mechanic is simply using the "stop clock" open-hand signal, and then following that with the approved signal for either a 30-second or 60-second timeout.

BillyMac Mon Mar 12, 2007 08:44pm

Once Seatbelted ...

FYI, by NFHS rules, once "seatbelted", a coach may stand: during charged timeout or intermission, to spontaneously react to an outstanding play, to acknowledge a replaced player, to request a time out, to confer with table for a correctable error, to rectify a timing, scoring, or alternating possession mistake.

Junker Tue Mar 13, 2007 08:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

The FED has said that it's OK for a coach or player to use the "T" signal to request a timeout. However, they don't wasn't officials to use the same signal for that reason. The NFHS wants the usage of the "T" signal by officials reserved only for signaling technical fouls.

The approved mechanic is simply using the "stop clock" open-hand signal, and then following that with the approved signal for either a 30-second or 60-second timeout.

I'm glad someone else caught that too. You don't want to make the T sign unless you are really giving one.

Adam Tue Mar 13, 2007 09:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
I'm glad someone else caught that too. You don't want to make the T sign unless you are really giving one.

I thought he was acknowledging that he'd screwed that one up. One of my rookie partners this year admitted he'd done it early in the season when he was still transitioning from volleyball season.

Vinski Tue Mar 13, 2007 09:16am

I worked an 8th grade girls game this year had an inbounds play that used the “T” sign to indicate a particular play. Well, you can guess what happened. Just as I was about to administer the ball to the thrower-in she give the “T” signal to her teammates. So I call timeout. She looked at me like I was nuts. I thought it very strange to use that signal.

Adam Tue Mar 13, 2007 09:23am

Not only strange, but it's poor coaching.

Junker Tue Mar 13, 2007 09:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I thought he was acknowledging that he'd screwed that one up. One of my rookie partners this year admitted he'd done it early in the season when he was still transitioning from volleyball season.

So when he called travelling he was actually bringing in substitutes? :D You're right, he may have been acknowledging, I was just posting to get my $.02 in, not that anyone cares about my opinion.

JugglingReferee Tue Mar 13, 2007 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

The FED has said that it's OK for a coach or player to use the "T" signal to request a timeout. However, they don't want officials to use the same signal for that reason. The NFHS wants the usage of the "T" signal by officials reserved only for signaling technical fouls.

Good point JR. I stopped the "T" signal for a TO long ago. I don't like the confusion it brings.