The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 25, 2001, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Talking

A5 is fouled, 8th team foul on Team B. After the foul on A5, he takes a technical. After the reporting of the fouls, the officials, line A5 up for the one and one, no line up. He misses the first shot. Then B3 goes to the other end to shoot the "T", makes one of two. The officials realize, that they shot them in the wrong order. Now what? Is this a correctable error, for erroneously awarding foul shots? Do you cancel all the shots, line B3 up for another two shots, followed by A5 shootig a one and one with a line up, and play resume following the free throw activity?
NCAA Men rules, in this play situation.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2001, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I am not sure on this one, since in the pre game we always go over that if there is a T we will shoot that right away, but since you didn't I would have to say that since A missed the first shot, and then you shot the T you have a loose ball. You would have to go to the arrow to see who gets the ball.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2001, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

I think I would have to agree with you. Going to the arrow is the only thing you can do, that makes the most sense.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2001, 05:13am
Official Forum Member

I'm confused. If you have a personal foul followed by a technical foul then you did it correctly. Free throws are administered in the order in which the fouls occurred, right? After the penalty shots for the technical, ball is throw-in at division line by B.

Regardless, check-out the statement on the bottom of Page 58 of the current NFHS Case book....."However, since all merited free throws were attempted it does not constitute a correctable error situation."

Old Mon Nov 26, 2001, 05:16am
Official Forum Member

Angry

Oops! I just saw "NCAA Men's Rules in this case"...sorry...Never mind!!!!
Old Mon Nov 26, 2001, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ngilref Send a message via Yahoo to ngilref
I had a similar situation this year. yes, you cancel all FT and shoot them in the right order (assuming the timeline hasn't passed)

Another situation with FT came up this weekend. B1 fouled A1 with A in the double bonus. The foul was B1's fifth. I report the foul, inform the coach and player, and am waiting for the sub to report. My partner (oops) has now allowed A1 to shoot the first of the two shots while I am waiting for the sub. We cancelled the FT (which was made) and then administer the FT correctly...but the first was missed. The coach wasn't happy, but we goofed.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2001, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ngilref
I had a similar situation this year. yes, you cancel all FT and shoot them in the right order (assuming the timeline hasn't passed)

Can you give a reference for this (the timeline part)?

Quote:
Another situation with FT came up this weekend. B1 fouled A1 with A in the double bonus. The foul was B1's fifth. I report the foul, inform the coach and player, and am waiting for the sub to report. My partner (oops) has now allowed A1 to shoot the first of the two shots while I am waiting for the sub. We cancelled the FT (which was made) and then administer the FT correctly...but the first was missed. The coach wasn't happy, but we goofed.
OK, I have to ask what part of 2-10 allows you to cancel
the FT? No one got anything that they didn't have coming
to them anyway.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2001, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

you can not just cancel things because you screwed up. You have to just eat this one, and got to the arrow. Be ready for one of the coaches to give you an ear full, and play on. Learn your lesson and go. THIS IS WHY YOU PRE GAME AND WHY WE COMMUNICATE ON THE FLOOR.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2001, 04:35pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

I agree with Dennis. There are five correctable errors and this is not one of them.

You have administered the free throws incorrectly, but you did not award an unmerited free throw -- it was merited!

You cannot have a "do over" in this situation -- you have to go with the arrow. Simply put, you have a dead ball and neither team in possession. You must go with the arrow.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Question go to the arrow??

Guys,

Why are we going to go to the arrow in the play where the 1st of 2 was shot before the disqualified player was replaced? You may not have a "do-over", but you can still line the players up for the 2nd free throw and play on.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 11:16am
Whack! Get Out!!!

It's a one-and-one... not two.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by ngilref

Another situation with FT came up this weekend. B1 fouled A1 with A in the double bonus. The foul was B1's fifth. I report the foul, inform the coach and player, and am waiting for the sub to report. My partner (oops) has now allowed A1 to shoot the first of the two shots while I am waiting for the sub. We cancelled the FT (which was made) and then administer the FT correctly...but the first was missed. The coach wasn't happy, but we goofed. [/B]
Brad,

This was the post that dealt with cancelling free throws. It was a two shot sitch.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 12:44pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

I was replying to the original post... Sorry for the confusion.