The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Most free throws? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/32605-most-free-throws.html)

Rock Chalk Fri Mar 09, 2007 01:40pm

Most free throws?

What is the largest amount of free throws you can award any 1 player on any 1 play?

- there are no intentional or technical fouls involved
- only one player is going to shoot the free throws because he/she was the only one fouled

i ask this to my local officials and only 1 guy got it right

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Mar 09, 2007 01:45pm

4<b><b><b>

Rock Chalk Fri Mar 09, 2007 01:49pm

no, you'll be suprised at the answer

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Mar 09, 2007 01:49pm

And now, to elaborate, this would occur if you were to call a multiple foul on a missed 3 point shot. For example, A22 is attempting a 3 point shot, and is fouled simultaneously by B23 and B32. The attempt is no good. You call both fouls. It's 2 shots per foul.

Rock Chalk Fri Mar 09, 2007 01:50pm

you have the right idea..but 4 isn't right

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Mar 09, 2007 01:50pm

Now that you put it that way, the answer would be 10. Same sitch I described, although the player is fouled simultaneously by all 5 opposing players on the court at the same time.

Rock Chalk Fri Mar 09, 2007 01:52pm

correct...but the odds that all 5 defensive players foul the same 3 pt. shooter at the same time and an offical calling 5 fouls is about .00099%.

JugglingReferee Fri Mar 09, 2007 02:46pm

I like these questions because I think it shows that those who nail it right away have a very good understanding of the rules.

Actually calling a 5-person multiple is a different arguement. ;)

Adam Fri Mar 09, 2007 02:47pm

Not to mention it's a bad offensive play to take this shot with 5 defenders on you. Someone has to be open.

deecee Fri Mar 09, 2007 03:11pm

not if your jon diebler -- then you hit the shot and instead of getting a chance at 10 points you screw your own team because now you only get 1 because the basket was good? so we later find that jon is human after all and cost hes team 6 points by making a basket from 3 point territory with 5 defenders on him. the boy, no the man, is a legend.

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Mar 09, 2007 03:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee
not if your jon diebler -- then you hit the shot and instead of getting a chance at 10 points you screw your own team because now you only get 1 because the basket was good? so we later find that jon is human after all and cost hes team 6 points by making a basket from 3 point territory with 5 defenders on him. the boy, no the man, is a legend.

While you are correct about screwing your team by making the shot, you are wrong about how bad you are screwing them. If you make the 3 and the official calls the 5 foul multiple foul, you still get 1 shot for each foul -- 5 shots, so a potential 8 point play.

deecee Fri Mar 09, 2007 03:21pm

so missing the shot is still better because Jon just cost them 2 points :o

SamIAm Fri Mar 09, 2007 03:47pm

Can we not get 15 shots?

JugglingReferee Fri Mar 09, 2007 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee

you're

Jon Diebler

Run-on sentences? ;)

BEAREF Fri Mar 09, 2007 04:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
And now, to elaborate, this would occur if you were to call a multiple foul on a missed 3 point shot. For example, A22 is attempting a 3 point shot, and is fouled simultaneously by B23 and B32. The attempt is no good. You call both fouls. It's 2 shots per foul.

Only two free throws on a missed 3 point shot? Why not three? Or am I missing something due to the multiple foul? :confused: