The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

This is a great forum and we get a variety of officials with various levels of experience, expertise, and level of assignments. However, for the most part we are high school officials and should be replying with the NFHS rules in mind, unless the post states otherwise.

What bothers me in this group and in my local association is when someone asks a question and someone gives the answer,..."well in D-1 we were instructed to do ya ya blah blah and hum yup."

Address your answers to the majority of the people, thos who working at the 6th, 7th, 8th grade and higher up to the 12th grade games.

Yes there are some differences and NFHS this year added those differences to the back of the rule book so that everyone could see them in black and white.

BUT DO NOT LET THEM OBSCURE THE PLAY YOU ARE DEALING WITH FOR THESE YOUNGSTERS. IT CREATES CONFUSION AMONG US AND FOR THOSE WHOM WE ARE WORKING.

Sorry for the bandbox but...........

Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

When joining this bulletin board, I did not notice any criteria, nor did I see any statistics implying the majority of officials were of the high school levels. I access this site to learn from everyone and also to help everyone. Rather than posting separate topics for both HS and COLLEGE, doesn't it make sense that we cover all the bases.

I work both high school and college, primarily high school, but I need more input on college because I am less familiar. Maybe when posting, we can make it clear what level we want to discuss.

I will also enlist in sensitivity training.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 07:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Although I do not do college games, I enjoy and appreciate the input from those officials. Sometimes they have a different slant on things, which makes me a little more insightful regarding the theory behind the rules.

This information adds to my knowledge database and, I hope, contributes to me becoming an even better official.

As long as people identify to which level they are referring, I have no problem with it.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2000, 03:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Cool

Well, Mr. Silliman i agree with your assertion and if stated HS then the answer should be NF rule book.

However the camps/clinic's that i have gone to in Alaska have been put on by Dick Schindler, Hank Nichols or Jim "Boomer" Bain and i have no asperation of becoming a D-1 official but the basic philosophy is heading in the college direction. Dick Schindler instructed our association to study the rule's and referee from the heart. Referee Advantage/Disadvantage like the recent years saying "with 10 players running around in a confinded area their is bound to be contact, and some might be hard in nature but not necessarly a foul".

I also enjoy the varried discussion that results from the questions. The different approach's that result from a single play, i really like all the "WHAT IF'S"

------------------
Don