The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Question

A question for all the ppl here:

Since I often respond to queries about rules/mechanics with the FIBA (or FEEBLE) response, I was wondering if you non-FIBA officials feel that I am just confusing the issue. I am slightly concerned however, that I may be acutally making it harder for you to referee odd situations, as you may remember my FIBA response to a question, rather than the "correct" method for handling the situation.

I find it interesting to consider the different rules and methods that you guys (and girs) use to run basketball, and I hope you feel the same way. For example, I find the concept of Alternating Posession (AP) somewhat ridiculous, but there are other rules/mechanics that I would much prefer for FIBA to adopt.

anyway, just wondering what you all thought about my non-conformist input.....

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

I actually kinda enjoy it. To me, at least, having another view/interpretation helps in understanding my "natural" set of rules.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

It makes for confusing discussion, moreso that confusing officiating. At least for me.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 02:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile

Despite my usual teasing, I really like hearing rules from other organizations. I guess I am a "rules junkie" and am very interested in the evolution of a rule, and the reasoning behind it. Seeing what other organizations have come up with for the same situations (and, more important, why they came up with that reasoning) gives me more insight into the basis for a rule.

Someday, I am going to write a rulebook from scratch with rules the way I think they should be.

Then, I guess I'll have to start my our league somewhere.

Actually, I do write the rules for my local rec league, but they are really NF rules modified for certain grade levels.

BTW - in our new HS level rec league, we are going to a "sudden death" overtime. If there is an overtime (and, or course, there never is when I ref), the first team to score 5 points wins. If neither team has scored 5 points in two minutes, we rejump and the first team to score wins. No timeouts are allowed in overtime.

What do you guys think? I'll let you know how it works. The league starts in Jan.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 04:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
A question for all the ppl here:

Since I often respond to queries about rules/mechanics with the FIBA (or FEEBLE) response, I was wondering if you non-FIBA officials feel that I am just confusing the issue. I am slightly concerned however, that I may be acutally making it harder for you to referee odd situations, as you may remember my FIBA response to a question, rather than the "correct" method for handling the situation.

I find it interesting to consider the different rules and methods that you guys (and girs) use to run basketball, and I hope you feel the same way. For example, I find the concept of Alternating Posession (AP) somewhat ridiculous, but there are other rules/mechanics that I would much prefer for FIBA to adopt.

anyway, just wondering what you all thought about my non-conformist input.....
Duane,
We'll still listen to what you have to say.
It's better than seeing you pout.
...Plus, I may want to be an international referee next month, next year, or something.
mick
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Mark,
Wow, I thought I was the only one crazy enough to have a "sudden death" overtime in basketball.

I was doing a boys H.S. Varsity Tournament this summer when my partner and I really screwed up. We had 3 O.T's
Finally the game management came over and stated they were on somewhat of a time restraint...we needed to get this game over.

So we came up with your "Sudden death" scenario.

We had the players line up for the jump and away we went.
It was great...the game hinged on every shot. We even had a guy go to the line and miss the front end of a 1 and 1 that would have ended the game.
We all got a kick out of it, even the coaches, something I would highly recommend for your Rec League Mark.

Dan
Old Sun Nov 25, 2001, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Oz -- when it's strictly a rules discussion, I just ignore what you write about FIBA. I'm still new enough that I can't affort the uncertainty about a rule. But other points you make, about attitude, judgement and so on are very helpful and insightful.

Mark -- I like the 5 point sudden death overtime. It's fair without being tedious. A great solution.