The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   idaho state tournament video, fun referee examples (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/32525-idaho-state-tournament-video-fun-referee-examples.html)

Mark Padgett Tue Mar 06, 2007 08:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
I Think part of the excessive hand motions had to do with what I believe is an old mechanic that is still sometimes used, and that is, when reporting fouls, as you verbalize the color of the offending team, you also point to their bench. That mechanic has never been around as long as I've been calling games, but I've seen a number of officials that have been referees longer then me do it and seem to recall someone saying that at one time, that was the proper mechanic.

Yeah - we used to do that. We also had to check the ball at halftime to make sure there weren't any splinters from the peach baskets, too. :D

Nevadaref Tue Mar 06, 2007 09:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach
1:24:30 they shot a free throw with only 1 defender in the 1st spot.

That's what you get when you let the coaches pick the refs!!!

And then five subs enter for Green following that FT, but only four players exit. The second FT is then administered with six team members on the floor for Green, and this results in a technical foul. You can count the players @ 1:24:51 and you will see the coaches trying to get the extra kid off the floor and Green #10 comes over to the bench right at the end of the FT @ 1:25:01

Not a good sequence.

mplagrow Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:22pm

Absolutely hilarious listening to the announcer try to figure out the fouls and free throws!

hbioteach Wed Mar 07, 2007 01:36pm

Poor Mechanics mostly

11:30 Backcourt long switch
11:45 Same arm used to count inbounds as 10 sec count
12:25 lead official in free throw lane 1st of 2 attemps
12:29 green contact with free thrower/no warning
12:34 trail official doesn't close down goes other way on second free throw
12:55 trail puts arms out to side to indicate no 5 second count (not a high school mechanic)
13:30 trail official does not close down on 3 pt attempt
14:29 never seen that foul call mechanic in book
14:54 Trail moves over to see ball on other side (nice job)
15:13 Lead positioned under basket to give to thrower
15:42 trail moving away from nasket on 3 pt attempt
15:47 trail finally gets back to referee the play
16:38 trail moves down as ball moves into leads area(nice job)

Some things I saw watching a few minutes.

Nevadaref Wed Mar 07, 2007 07:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbioteach
11:30 Backcourt long switch
11:45 Same arm used to count inbounds as 10 sec count
12:25 lead official in free throw lane 1st of 2 attemps
12:29 green contact with free thrower/no warning
12:34 trail official doesn't close down goes other way on second free throw
12:55 trail puts arms out to side to indicate no 5 second count (not a high school mechanic)
13:30 trail official does not close down on 3 pt attempt
14:29 never seen that foul call mechanic in book
14:54 Trail moves over to see ball on other side (nice job)
15:13 Lead positioned under basket to give to thrower
15:42 trail moving away from nasket on 3 pt attempt
15:47 trail finally gets back to referee the play
16:38 trail moves down as ball moves into leads area(nice job)

Some things I saw watching a few minutes.

Perhaps you are the one who needs some work on your NFHS mechanics. :p

Remember these officials were using the 2-man system, and in the 2005-07 NFHS Officials Manual on page 38 there appears: (the bold is from the NFHS, not me)
"234. The officials shall always change positions after each foul is called. The "free" is responsible to force the change of positions prior to putting the ball in play. It shall be emphasized that the procedures for calling a player-control foul, or one of the nonshooting fouls, are the same as for any other foul call described, including the changing of positions before the ball is handed to the thrower."

So the officials were correct by the national mechanics manual to switch on this rebounding foul against the offensive team, which occurred in the new backcourt. Perhaps your local association teaches not to make this switch. There are a few which do that. However, you need to understand that it is your association which is doing the mechanics incorrectly, not these two officials from Idaho.

BillyMac Wed Mar 07, 2007 09:23pm

Connecticut No Long Switches

Connecticut IAABO Mechanics:
Arms extended not closely guarded signal.
Point to floor for two-point field goal try.
No long switches when foul is called in the backcourt and there is no change of possession or direction.
Team members are not allowed to congregate at midcourt during introductions.
Coaching Box must be marked. If home coach and/or home management refuse to designate coaching box with tape, the home team will not use a coaching box for that game. However, the visiting team will be allowed a coaching box. Notify Board Secretary or Commissioner the next day.

Nevadaref Wed Mar 07, 2007 09:28pm

So what's your point? Other than that IAABO doesn't follow the NFHS mechanics. The Idaho officials are not IAABO members.

As I said some local associations teach not to switch in the backcourt in 2-man. IAABO would fall into that category.

Nevadaref Wed Mar 07, 2007 09:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
Connecticut IAABO Mechanics:
Arms extended not closely guarded signal.
Point to floor for two-point field goal try.
No long switches when foul is called in the backcourt and there is no change of possession or direction.
Team members are not allowed to congregate at midcourt during introductions.
Coaching Box must be marked. If home coach and/or home management refuse to designate coaching box with tape, the home team will not use a coaching box for that game. However, the visiting team will be allowed a coaching box. Notify Board Secretary or Commissioner the next day.

BTW nowhere does your post specify whether these mechanics are for 2-man, 3-man, or both.

jmaellis Wed Mar 07, 2007 09:40pm

As a new official I found the time markers and the comments from the more experienced referees to be helpful (very, even).

For me, and I'm sure many other newer officials as well, I would love to see more threads like this. I know it's probably a lot of work, but I appreciate it.

Kudos.

Nevadaref Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmaellis
As a new official I found the time markers and the comments from the more experienced referees to be helpful (very, even).

For me, and I'm sure many other newer officials as well, I would love to see more threads like this. I know it's probably a lot of work, but I appreciate it.

Kudos.

The two best ways to improve are court experience and watching film of yourself and good officials. Quality preparation isn't far behind.

Swingandamiss Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
No shot at Idaho officials... My reference was to the six eyes on the ball, meaning if that was the case, then you would have a crew of ball watchers. Which is no-no in my crews, and would probably be reiterated during halftime.

This was my only question. If this was a state championship, why only a 2-man crew?

bronco Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swingandamiss
This was my only question. If this was a state championship, why only a 2-man crew?

Idaho won't go to 3-man, whether it is because of a money question or what, I don't know. It is 2-man in league, and I can understand an argument that the refs and players have done 2-man all season, and you wouldn't necassarily want refs using a system they haven't used all season.

It is about the same reason they don't have a shot clock, even after a full-game stall, in the state championship game, about 5 years ago. That's the way Idaho has always done it.:(

Nevadaref Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronco
It is about the same reason they don't have a shot clock, even after a full-game stall, in the state championship game, about 5 years ago. That's the way Idaho has always done it.:(

Yeah, how silly of Idaho and those 42 other states which don't use a shot clock. :rolleyes:

Scrapper1 Thu Mar 08, 2007 08:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
So what's your point? Other than that IAABO doesn't follow the NFHS mechanics. The Idaho officials are not IAABO members.

As I said some local associations teach not to switch in the backcourt in 2-man. IAABO would fall into that category.

Nevadaref, I believe that the mechanics listed by BillyMac are used in Connecticut only. They are Connecticut adaptations of IAABO mechanics. IAABO does not recommend the use of the "not closely guarded" signal or pointing at the floor on a 2-point attempt, etc. (as far as I know).

IAABO only differs from the FED mechanics on a couple of points (one good and one bad, IMHO) and none of them is listed in Billy's post.

26 Year Gap Thu Mar 08, 2007 08:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref

Not our IAABO board.