The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coming Back Inbounds (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/32472-coming-back-inbounds.html)

cshs81 Mon Mar 05, 2007 09:51am

Coming Back Inbounds

A1 is chasing a ball to the sideline. As he's falling out of bounds, he a)catches the ball then flips it back inbounds b)he bats the the ball back inbounds. In both scenarios, he comes back inbounds and picks up the ball(first to touch it).

Any call on either scenario?

cshs81 Mon Mar 05, 2007 09:54am

OK. Maybe I found the answer.

A is a violation due to having control while B is not a violation. Correct?

truerookie Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cshs81
A1 is chasing a ball to the sideline. As he's falling out of bounds, he a)catches the ball then flips it back inbounds b)he bats the the ball back inbounds. In both scenarios, he comes back inbounds and picks up the ball(first to touch it).

Any call on either scenario?

A) legal.

B). legal. If he batted the ball with a close fist it would be a violation.

RushmoreRef Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie
A) legal.

Legal in both and to make a quick point because I had this the other night:

Only needs 1 foot back on the court (the other can't be touching OOB) to be able to retrieve the ball.......and also can go ahead and dribble at that point.

shave-tail Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:30am

Quote:

A1 is chasing a ball to the sideline. As he's falling out of bounds, he a)catches the ball then flips it back inbounds

Has A1 lost his dribble in this case?

cshs81 Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shave-tail
Has A1 lost his dribble in this case?

No. He's chasing an errant pass.

JoeTheRef Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:42pm

Quote:

No. He's chasing an errant pass.

He can continue to dribble, but he can't pick the ball up and start to dribble. The throw starts the dribble.

cshs81 Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie
A) legal.

I would have assumed (BTW I'm not an official) that since the player in Scenario A had control (ie caught the ball with both hands before saving it) that it would be the same as throwing a pass and then being the first player to touch the ball after the pass was made. Not true?

Would it matter if A1 was airborne or not when he saved the ball inbounds?

cshs81 Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
He can continue to dribble, but he can't pick the ball up and start to dribble. The throw starts the dribble.

I'm assuming then by your post that that he can pick up the ball but not dribble. Correct?

Mark Padgett Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:44pm

Quote:

I would have assumed (BTW I'm not an official) that since the player in Scenario A had control (ie caught the ball with both hands before saving it) that it would be the same as throwing a pass and then being the first player to touch the ball after the pass was made. Not true?

Not true. It would be considered a fumble. And yes - that is also a basketball term.

cshs81 Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Not true. It would be considered a fumble. And yes - that is also a basketball term.

My rulebook says a fumble is "the accidental loss of player control when the ball unintentionally drops or slips from a player's grasp."

That doesn't seem to apply here since in Scenario A that the player caught the ball then intentionally dropped/threw the ball inbounds.

JoeTheRef Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:55pm

Quote:

My rulebook says a fumble is "the accidental loss of player control when the ball unintentionally drops or slips from a player's grasp."

That doesn't seem to apply here since in Scenario A that the player caught the ball then intentionally dropped/threw the ball inbounds.

The toss back to the court (inbounds) is considered to be the start of the dribble. You're correct, this is NOT a fumble.

Camron Rust Mon Mar 05, 2007 07:37pm

Quote:

Would it matter if A1 was airborne or not when he saved the ball inbounds?

It is not a pass since it didn't go to another player. It can only be the start of a dribble (which is interruppted then resumed).

Nevadaref Mon Mar 05, 2007 08:55pm

7.1.1 SITUATION D: A1 jumps from inbounds to retrieve an errant pass near a boundary line. A1 catches the ball while in the air and tosses it back to the court. A1 lands out of bounds and (a) is the first to touch the ball after returning inbounds; (b) returns inbounds and immediately dribbles the ball; or (c) picks up the ball after returning to the court and then begins a dribble. RULING: Legal in (a) and (b). Illegal in (c) as the controlled toss of the ball to the court by A1 constitutes the start of a dribble, dribbling a second time after picking up the ball is an illegal dribble violation. (4-15-5; 4-15-6d; 4-35; 9-5)

cshs81 Mon Mar 05, 2007 09:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust
It is not a pass since it didn't go to another player. ).

So, if I pass the ball but no one is near the pass I can go retrieve it? Are you sure?