The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Can someone explain the reasoning behind the rule that states that when the clock reads 3/10 of a second or less, a try cannot score, but a tap can? I never understood the reasoning behind this. Thanks!
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

The reason is that the time it takes to get off a shot has been calculated as being impossible to get off in that time.
That being said a tip is merely a touching of the ball directing it to the basket.
Hope that clears it up!
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
timing

So, a player could inbound the ball, and the player on the court would have to bat it at the basket, rather than catch it and shoot, if the clock was 3/10 or less?
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Correct.

About 12 years ago, I believe it was an MLK holiday game, the Knicks and Bulls were playing in MSG. Bulls were up 1 with 0:00.1 remaining, kicks ball for a throw-in. The Knicks inbound the ball to Trent Tucker who catches the ball, turns and puts up a 3 from the corner. The horn didn't sound until the shot was almost to the basket. The shot went in, the officials counted it, and the Knicks won.

Obviously, the clock operator failed to start the clock when he was supposed to. Within a few days, the NBA instituted a rule that stated only a tap could score with 0:00.3 or less on the clock. THe NCAA and the NF soon followed.

Here endeth the lesson.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 10:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Cool Different Rule

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Correct.

About 12 years ago, I believe it was an MLK holiday game, the Knicks and Bulls were playing in MSG. Bulls were up 1 with 0:00.1 remaining, kicks ball for a throw-in. The Knicks inbound the ball to Trent Tucker who catches the ball, turns and puts up a 3 from the corner. The horn didn't sound until the shot was almost to the basket. The shot went in, the officials counted it, and the Knicks won.

Obviously, the clock operator failed to start the clock when he was supposed to. Within a few days, the NBA instituted a rule that stated only a tap could score with 0:00.3 or less on the clock. THe NCAA and the NF soon followed.

Here endeth the lesson.

TH, the rule in the NBA is .07, not .03 if I am not mistaken. You are correct about the game, but there was .07 seconds on the clock, when Knicks sniper Trent Tucker hit the game winning shot against the Bulls I believe. They did change the rule, but they said that the rule would be .07 you could only have a tip. The only reason the time was determined to be .07 was because that was what was on the clock when Tucker took the ball from out of bounds and drilled the 3 point shot that won the game. NF and NCAA did follow, but they determined less time than the NBA.

And you know, I could be completely wrong and stupid on this, but I saw the game live when this happen on TV. I have a pretty good memory, but I could be wrong.

Does anyone remember this but me and TH?

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on Nov 21st, 2001 at 09:38 AM]
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

You aren't stupid but you are wrong. I have the game on tape. The story is just as I wrote it. That's why the Bulls were so upset. 7/10ths is enough time to catch and shoot. 1/10th is not.

And, the NBA rule is 3/10ths, just like the NF and NCAA. The link below explains the rule and how the 3/10ths riles governs any situation where the clock is stopped and then restarts near the expiration of time.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_l....av=ArticleList

Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
I "HEARD" that there was some actual testing that took place with players from all levels of play and it was determined that no one got get a "TRY" off in less than .3 seconds.

So that's where the rule came from.

Again, that's what I "HEARD"
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Cool

I remember the game. I agree with BktBallRef. I also thought it was a 3, I remember he was real close to the line when he put it up. That's definetly why the rule was instituted.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

clarifiy between NBA and NF

I just want to point out one thing, and If 'm wrong Drake will kick my butt, but the NF rule is .3 or less must be a tap.... NBA .3 must be deducted from the clock when it is caught. The way I understand it, in the NBA you can catch and shoot with .3 (in otherwords does not have to be a tap)NF used the .3 rule but stated at .3 or less must be a tap
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

green
you are very close to the nba rules interp. in the nba with
.3 on the game clock a player may catch and immediatly shoot with a slight dip.
during the nbdl meetings before the season officials were given extensive guidelines on shots taken with less than 1 sec on the clock. the pro and college timing is slightly different.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo
I "HEARD" that there was some actual testing that took place with players from all levels of play and it was determined that no one got get a "TRY" off in less than .3 seconds.

So that's where the rule came from.

Again, that's what I "HEARD"
There may have been tests conducted . But the initial NBA rule change came as a result of the Bulls-Knicks game.

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
green
you are very close to the nba rules interp. in the nba with
.3 on the game clock a player may catch and immediatly shoot with a slight dip.
during the nbdl meetings before the season officials were given extensive guidelines on shots taken with less than 1 sec on the clock. the pro and college timing is slightly different.
Yes, it is slightly different.

From EXPIRATION OF TIME

NO LESS THAN :00.3 must expire on the game clock when a player secures possession of an inbounds pass and then attempts a field goal. If less than :00.3 expires in such a situation, the timer will be instructed to deduct AT LEAST :00.3 from the game clock. If less than :00.3 remain on the game clock when this situation occurs, the period is over, and the field goal attempt will be disallowed immediately whether successful or unsuccessful.

So essentially, the NBA rule is :00.2 whereas the NF is :00.3.

Old Mon Nov 26, 2001, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IndianaUmpRef
I REMEMBER THAT GAME

I remember that Knicks/Bulls game.

There was :00.1 on the clock. And somehow, a guy got a shot off before triple-zeroes from way beyond the 3-point line.

The following year, the NBA, NCAA, and a year later the NFHS included a rule stating that you can only attempt a 'tip' at the goal with :00.3 or less on the clock. Therefore, if the clock operator makes a mistake and starts the clock late and the guy gets a shot off before triple-zeroes, it doesn't matter, its not legal, and according to the experts, not possible either.