The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Spaman_29
Ok here is a situation that I had last year. I had two high school teams that were competeing for the region title. At the start of the game we notice that one of the assistant coaches is wearing a gun and a badge, stating that he was a police officer. Both my partner and I noticed it and discussed it. There were 4 policeman assigned to the game already. Both high schools are very wealthy and really don't have gang or other type problems. We asked the coach what the deal was. He stated that they didn't want to have any problems so he always carries his gun. They were from two seperate counties so I know that he couldn't have any jurisdiction there being the visiting team. We let it slid. In hindsight my partner and I talked about it but I wanted to get some replies from everyone else.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

I would report that sort of thing to the actual uniformed police officers in attendance and let them sort out the legality issues.

Personally, I would not let him sit on the bench with any sort of weapon. He is off duty, and is representing his team, not any government source.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Wink I thought it was a typo

When I read the post I figured it was a typo.

I couldn't figure out why coaches couldn't have GUM.

I need to get more sleep.

Ren
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I thought it was a typo

Quote:
Originally posted by rgaudreau
When I read the post I figured it was a typo.

I couldn't figure out why coaches couldn't have GUM.

I need to get more sleep.

Ren
Coach blows a bubble.

TWEET! Technical foul - red coach - bubble gum use.

Coach: What the U*%^#$% was that for??!?!

Ref: Rule 11-32-1 - bench personnel shall not have in their possession any gum. Don't forget the seatbelt rule, coach.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
Don't know about the legalitiy issues in the states, but I believe certain types of law enforcment north of the border can carry arms at all times. Some RCMP officers, or any police officer can carry there guns at all times, depending on the circumtances. Some police officers have a legitmate reason to pack a gun, maybe he did too??
just a though

TR
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Many Law Enforcement agencies require their officers to carry at all times. I believe the reasoning is that if you're carrying your badge, you need to also carry something to back it up with. Many officers have a reason to. One of my father's best friends, a retired, highly decorated officer, had many death threats given to him by "perps" who may just act on them when they get out of prison. He always has at least one gun on him at all times.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Maybe he wanted to make sure his team got the last SHOT !!!
(one way or the other...)
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dave Brost
Would it be in the best interest of everyone involved to have a letter from the state association, stating that this coach is authorized to carry a firearm? It seems that the state governing association should be aware of this coach carrying the firearm, just like they want to be notified of any other incidents. (ie-injuries, ejections, etc.)
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Even if he's authorized to carry a gun at all times, that doesn't mean that he has to be allowed on the bench. It's like earrings on players. Sure, you can leave 'em in, but then you can't play.

I'm not sure that I would like to have a firearm on the bench next to children, surrounded by people who may become impassioned by a hard fought or close game. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Chuck
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
How about this one - I work as a police officer, and also referee - considering the possible threat to the officials, should I carry my firearm when I work games? (This is said with tongue-in-cheek - obviously, that would be a really stupid thing to do!)

I could just see it now...

"Sit down coach, or I'll make you sit down!"
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Excellent point, Dave. That says it all.

Chuck
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Question Hello Game Management

I am going to involve (inform) game management with this one.

This is out of my league (and perhaps echelons above my ability to understand). If you already have a security presence, Why does this guy need his gun?

My take is that he is "macho-cop" and wants to "impress" people. My apologies to the majority of law enforcement officers judiciously handle their authority.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dave Brost
I think the difference here is whether he is authorized to carry a firearm, or required to carry his firearm. If authorized, he should use his best judgement and leave the firearm at home. If he is required to carry it, then he should not be held back from coaching because of it. He should however, use some discretion about displaying it. I think he could carry his firearm and badge, and go unnoticed to the general public. Common sense to me.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChetLJ
I would have spoken to local law enforcement working the game and explained the situation. I also would have told the coach with the gun that his firearm was not allowed on the bench and that he was to remove it immediately.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

I find it hard to believe that some of you would actually tell a police officer (who maintains arrest authority 24 hours a day and is probably required to carry a gun at all times) that he couldn't sit on the bench wearing his gun.

Come on folks, he's not on the floor playing.

I guess I couldn't coach either since I'm a CPA. I couldn't sit on a bench so near children since they could get so geeked up on the passion of the game that they steal my .5mm Pentel pencil and jab it through someone's neck.