The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
I have a couple of questions on player control, mainly related to the mechanics - I spent over an hour looking around in the rulebook (NFHS) and had difficulty finding anything relative to what I was looking for.

1) There are no shots on PC, including when the team is in the bonus. Is this correct? (We're talking about B being in the bonus, and A having the PC)

2) PC Counts as a common foul would, as one of the 5 personal fouls, and one of the team fouls in the half. Correct?

3) Reporting to the scoretable - is a PC foul reported as PC, or as a charge (or other appropriate signal)? (Seems like a stupid question - I can't remember seeing anyone go to the table and report a foul with the hand behind the head... then again, it is called rarely in my area!)
Not that the signal matters to the scorekeepers... I'm just trying to get it right.

Thanks for any help you can provide to a newer ref!

Dave
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by drinkeii
I have a couple of questions on player control, mainly related to the mechanics - I spent over an hour looking around in the rulebook (NFHS) and had difficulty finding anything relative to what I was looking for.

1) There are no shots on PC, including when the team is in the bonus. Is this correct? (We're talking about B being in the bonus, and A having the PC)

2) PC Counts as a common foul would, as one of the 5 personal fouls, and one of the team fouls in the half. Correct?

3) Reporting to the scoretable - is a PC foul reported as PC, or as a charge (or other appropriate signal)? (Seems like a stupid question - I can't remember seeing anyone go to the table and report a foul with the hand behind the head... then again, it is called rarely in my area!)
Not that the signal matters to the scorekeepers... I'm just trying to get it right.

Thanks for any help you can provide to a newer ref!

Dave
Never shoot free throws for a PC foul.

PC fouls do count towards 5 personals and the team tally.

The "hand behind the head" is not used while reporting.

Hope this helps!
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Whenever I have seen it as a timer/scorer or reported it myself, the official will use the PC hand behind the head when reporting the foul so the table and benches know there will be no free throws.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Signalling the foul while reporting

This seems to vary state to state. When I refereed in Washington State, we always indicated the signal for the foul when reporting the foul to the table.

When I moved to Oklahoma, that's one of the first things they told me I didn't need to do.

My preference would be to always include the foul signal when reporting, especially on a call like a PC. Reduces any confusion.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto

The "hand behind the head" is not used while reporting.
Perhaps not where you live but we certainly do it. It's no different than any other foul. There's no reason to not give the signal.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Did I miss something?
If the only time you use the hand behind the head is at the preliinary report you will have mass confusion. You have to tell the scoretable that it is PC. That way you know and they know that you are not shooting shots. If you go to table and signal push etc, then anybody who knows the NF (not NBA) rule will be asking for shots.

If I remember right most of the NCAA refs do it the same way...
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 12:48pm
Administrator

This is for all of those officials who live in areas where they have been told not to signal the type of foul when reporting the foul. SIGNAL the type of foul, the NFHS and CAA manuals require it. It makes me sick that there are assigners out there that do not want their officials following correct procedures. Please do not tell when in Rome do as the Romans, this has nothing to do with that. DO IT CORRECTLY.

The protocol for reporting a foul a the table (both NFHS and NCAA) after coming to a stop in the reporting area in order is (I think I just conjugated the verb to be correctly just now):

1) Verbally state the color of the team committing the foul.

2) Using only one hand visually show the number of the player committing the foul while verbally announcing the number. Verbally state fourteen, not one, four. Make distinct separate hand signals. Do not flip your hand around for double numbers and pump your hand back and forth toward the table.

3) Signal the type of foul.

4) Signal the number of fouls or the direction and the spot of the throw-in.

5) Replace any and all disqualified and injured players.

6) Bring in any substitutes.

7) Grant a time-out.

8) Take your appropriate spot on the floor and get the ball back into play.

It should be noted that at one time when reporting a player control foul the official had to make two foul signals: 1) the type of foul (charging, holding, pushing, etc.) and then 2) the player control signal.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 01:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

4) Signal the number of fouls or the direction and the spot of the throw-in.

I think you mean to signal the number of foul shots , not the number of fouls, which always would be "1", since we all know there is no such thing as a multiple foul.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is for all of those officials who live in areas where they have been told not to signal the type of foul when reporting the foul. SIGNAL the type of foul, the NFHS and CAA manuals require it. It makes me sick that there are assigners out there that do not want their officials following correct procedures. Please do not tell when in Rome do as the Romans, this has nothing to do with that. DO IT CORRECTLY.
Yes! Well said and I may add. What happens if you are in a gym that has the noise level of a Concord taking off? If you don’t give a signal how will the table know, how will both coaches know, and yes even how will the fans know.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

7) Grant a time-out.

There is a time-out for each foul? ;-)

Do we get to pick the team if neither one volunteers?

[Edited by Camron Rust on Nov 20th, 2001 at 12:10 PM]
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 01:13pm
Administrator

Item (4): Meant number of free throws to be shot if any.

Item (7): This is the time to grant a time-out if one is reqested.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

I've always been taught to cup your hand behind your head when reporting the foul to signal player control. There is a big difference between a player control and a charge, so you have to signal it. I've worked games in 2 different states and both require the signal.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

If you only give the PC at the preliminary, it will be missed by the table many a time - ten tall basketball players in the paint, lead makes a call opposite the table, we don't have a clue what it is (except, maybe, by the fan reaction).
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

My 2 cents

Under FIBA a player control foul is signalled with one extended arm parallel to the ground, with the hand making a fist, point towards the offending team's offensive basket.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Question Curious

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
Under FIBA a player control foul is signalled with one extended arm parallel to the ground, with the hand making a fist, point towards the offending team's offensive basket.
Why would you point your fist toward the offended team's offensive basket? In most cases, that will be the direction in which the offensive player was just moving. Couldn't that be very confusing? It would look like you were signaling the ball to "stay here".

Around here, after giving the PC signal, we indicate that the ball will be going "the other way"; that is, we point toward the offending team's defensive basket. (Or toward the offended team's offensive basket. )

Chuck