The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote from February 2000 REFEREE magazine:

"The most susceptible guy in any gambling scheme is an official.....I mean, if we only knew the truth about games that were controlled by officials having gambling interests, I think it would be amazing."

Mr. (sic) Robert Montgomery (Good-Knight) Knight.

I have gambling interests.....I have bet on the Super Bowl, regularly bet on college basketball, and have given up betting on college football (can't beat the house). But then again it is legal here in Las Vegas.

Am I susceptible. I have never seen a line on any of the local high school games and of course if I did see one it would not have any impact on how I officiated a particular ballgame. I do have integrity, not like Mr. Good-Knight.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Smile

I wouldn't get your hopes up as far as calling a final four game. Bobby was talking about the Div I official, not the guy calling High School.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 03:07pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Personally, I don't think that any officials should gamble on sports.

Gambling on anything is looked at closely as you move up. As was stated, don't get your hopes up on calling in the Tournament - or even at the Division I level if you are a regular gambler at all... Especially sports gambling.

I am not at that level yet, but I don't even participate in NCAA Tournament pools, etc. unless they are just for fun (no money). Too much to lose over something not worth it.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I don't think anyone should gamble on anything. I like playing the see how many games you can pick correctly contest. I usually am around the 67% mark. But to put money on it is asking for trouble. But as far as the original remarks go, Don't get your hopes up about officiating at the NCAA Div I level. They are now checking your history.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm in my 27th year of officiating basketball and am not worried about officiating the 'Final Four.' I did attend one camp after retiring from the Air Force, but at 47 years young no one was going to waste the time on me when they can develop younger talent. And I did not have a problem with that.

I officiated at the highest level in the military, Air Force Championships and the Armed Forces Championships.

But, if you guys think that Mr. Good-Knight is talking only about Division 1 officials, you are wrong. He dislikes anyone who puts on a referee shirt at any level. His comment is questioning "your" integrity also.

I do agree that if there were a chance on my officiating at a higher level that I would not be betting on games. Now I've only been in this town for 7 years, but have yet to hear of anyone who works Division 1 betting on anything. They know better and would not do it.

But again, this guy was involving everyone in our profession.