The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 17, 2001, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, I'm trying to picture who goes where for FT's, and I think I have it down. A1 is shooting in this case.

(1) The two spots below the blocks MUST be occupied by team B.

(2) The next space (let's call it 2 - #s from end line to FT line) can be occupied by A. Question: if A does not want these two spots, can B take them?

(3) If A1 is in spot 3 on one side, A2 is in spot 4 on the other side, and vice-versa (plus B1 and B2).

Is this right?

Thanks.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2001, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Okay, I'm trying to picture who goes where for FT's, and I think I have it down. A1 is shooting in this case.

(2) The next space (let's call it 2 - #s from end line to FT line) can be occupied by A. Question: if A does not want these two spots, can B take them?

(3) If A1 is in spot 3 on one side, A2 is in spot 4 on the other side, and vice-versa (plus B1 and B2).

Is this right?

Thanks.
(1) is correct.

(2) -- B can take these spots if A doesn't

(3) -- I'm not sure of the numbering you are using, but the defense has the "right of first refusal" on the third spot and the offens has the "right of first refusal" on the fourth (closest to the FT shooter) spot.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2001, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
NCAA variations

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
(3) -- I'm not sure of the numbering you are using, but the defense has the "right of first refusal" on the third spot and the offens has the "right of first refusal" on the fourth (closest to the FT shooter) spot.
Bob,

For NCAA, does the "right of refusal" apply? I thought that the spots on the lane were reserved only for the use of the team that they are assigned to. In other words, only a teammate of the shooter can occupy "space 2". If he doesn't want it, then it stays empty. Am I wrong about that? I don't have my book at my desk right now. Thanks for helping me out.

Chuck
Old Sun Nov 18, 2001, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

Is this right?

Thanks.
Bob has pretty well summed it up. Just to add a point or two of my own

The keys to your question are the words "shall" in 8-3-a, and "entitled to" in 8-3-b. So B must be in the first spaces. (Except for Ts, end of quarter or game, etc.)

The next spaces can be filled by anyone, the problem for you comes-in when they do so. If you have bounced the ball to the free thrower or placed it on the floor than the other positions are frozen even though someone else is entitled to the space. At this point you could either have a disconcertion or a foul if someone tries to push another player out of his space.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2001, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Re: NCAA variations

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Bob,

For NCAA, does the "right of refusal" apply? I thought that the spots on the lane were reserved only for the use of the team that they are assigned to. In other words, only a teammate of the shooter can occupy "space 2". If he doesn't want it, then it stays empty. Am I wrong about that? I don't have my book at my desk right now. Thanks for helping me out.

Chuck
The "right of first refusal" does not apply to NCAA Women's ball. The defense must occupy the lowest spots (using the new definition of "lowest). The offense may occupy the next, but if they don't the defense can't -- they'll remain empty. Similarly, the defense may occupy the last spots (closest to the thrower) -- if the defense chooses not to, they'll remain empty.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2001, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: NCAA variations

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

The "right of first refusal" does not apply to NCAA Women's ball. The defense must occupy the lowest spots (using the new definition of "lowest). The offense may occupy the next, but if they don't the defense can't -- they'll remain empty. Similarly, the defense may occupy the last spots (closest to the thrower) -- if the defense chooses not to, they'll remain empty.
In men's the fourth space nearest the shooter cannot be
occupied by either of the shooter's 2 teammates (ie
reserved for defense only).
Old Sun Nov 25, 2001, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

free throw article

There is a good article on http://www.hoopsref.com you guys might want to check out. It does a good job of explaining this topic.