The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Dick Vitale and the Alternate Possession (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/32219-dick-vitale-alternate-possession.html)

Jim Bob Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:58pm

Dick Vitale and the Alternate Possession

Dick Vitale often (not as often as he used to) goes on and on about how he hates the alternate possession rule. He wants the old jump ball again. I think settling the issue via a jump ball is totally unfair (e.g. like when a 5'11 guard doubles down and ties up a 6'8 post player), and the alternate possession is as fair as you can get it. How do you officials feel about Vitale's comments?

JRutledge Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:02pm

I have no problem with the rule. I think the AP speeds up the game. I do not see the big deal.

Peace

Ref Daddy Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:08pm

His opinion. Makes no sense to me.

tjones1 Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
I have no problem with the rule. I think the AP speeds up the game. I do not see the big deal.

Peace

Neither do I. I think it works fine.

WhistlesAndStripes Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:11pm

I think you can line 10 guys up for a jump ball as fast as you can line them up for a throw in. But, you don't have nearly as many crooked tosses. :D

Adam Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:14pm

My opinion is that Dick Vitale isn't nearly the hoops expert he's marketed to be.

BillyMac Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:23pm

No, I Mean, No, Jump Balls

Back in the later part of the 20th century, we had jump ball for every held ball situation in the game, at one of three different jump ball circles, as well as at the start of each period, or overtime period. Back then, as an official, I knew every the jump ball violation rule like the back of my hand, chapter and verse. Coaches, including me, had several jump ball plays, depending on whether they thought they would win the jump ball or which jump ball circle was going to be used in reference to their basket. As an official, I worked on my toss, often trying to toss the ball through the basket from below.

Today, with the alternating possession rule, we usually have only one jump ball each game, about half the time I'm the referee, and about half the time I'm the umpire. To be completely honest with my fellow Forum members, if I weren't on my local association's training committee, I would probably have a hard time explaining all the various types of jump ball violations that can occur, and I know that, even then, it would be difficult for me to make some violation calls in the split second that we're allowed to determine if a violation did indeed occur. And I know for sure that I'm not as good in making the toss as I was before we went to the alternating possession rule.

Flip a coin. They do it in soccer and in football. Play rock, paper, scissors. Give the ball to the home team first. Give the ball to the visitors first. We got rid of Dr. Naismith's peach basket. Now let's get rid of the jump ball. Please. Pretty please.

MJT Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:32pm

Jump balls that used to occur in one teams front court were VERY chaotic. Guys moving around every where and not settling in.

Mountaineer Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
My opinion is that Dick Vitale isn't nearly the hoops expert he's marketed to be.

Nope, Billy Packer is the BEST!:D

I always thought DickieV wanted to dump the AP for a held ball going to the defense. I don't think that would work either but better than a JB. I like it the way it is.

TRef21 Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:53am

I like the AP. Like you guys said it speeds the game up. I was working a girls Varsity game about 2 weeks ago and we had 7.

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Feb 26, 2007 01:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer
I always thought DickieV wanted to dump the AP for a held ball going to the defense.

I believe this is correct. I love Vitale!! Even if I don't agree with all of his statements, you must love his energy.

Camron Rust Mon Feb 26, 2007 02:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Nope, Billy Packer is the BEST!:D

I always thought DickieV wanted to dump the AP for a held ball going to the defense. I don't think that would work either but better than a JB. I like it the way it is.

Well, they tried that just a few years ago (maybe it was experimental but I thought it was in place for a couple of seasons). It was a mess....a big mess. So, they reverted to the arrow.

Raymond Mon Feb 26, 2007 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
I think you can line 10 guys up for a jump ball as fast as you can line them up for a throw in. But, you don't have nearly as many crooked tosses. :D

Have you ever seen how long it takes the NBA to line up for a jump ball, especially when it occurs in the free throw circle. Almost takes as long as a hockey face-off.

Scrapper1 Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:16am

I wouldn't mind seeing the jump ball come back to NCAA. There really aren't that many in the course of the game. I think the AP is probably right for high school, because you get so many more in sub-varsity games.