The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 24, 2007, 06:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Aau

I'd gone all season with two coach techs; one in a girls AAU and one in a boys JV. Today, I get two boys AAU games last minute, and come out with two more coach techs.
First game, coach is jawing about a missed call early. I ignore it. Later, I have an OOB call in front of his bench that he disagrees with. He says, "You had the same view I did, right?" I respond, "I would have thought so, but apparently is wasn't exactly the same."
"That's terrible."
Me, "Coach, that's enough."
Coach, "That's two calls."
T

Might be a bit quick, so I'm open to comments on this one.

Second game, midway through the first quarter I hear the coach call for our Lord and Savior. Not sure whether he was upset over a no-call or at his kids for losing the ball, I ignore this one.
Several minutes later, his kid goes up for a shot against two well-positioned defenders and gets the shot blocked. Both coaches up yelling now, with the head coach this time pretty clearly asking Jesus Christ to give him a call. Easy T. What are these guys getting away with when I'm not there?
Old Sat Feb 24, 2007, 07:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Quote Of The Season

From Snaqwells: "What are these guys getting away with when I'm not there?"

Snaqwells: This could be the quote of the season. Not only does it apply to unsporting acts by coaches, but it could also apply to the the marked or unmarked, coaching box, proper or improper wearing of uniforms by players, etc.

Here in Connecticut we have a few of our own mechanics, one being, "Coaching Box must be marked. If home coach and/or home management refuse to designate coaching box with tape, the home team will not use a coaching box for that game. However, the visiting team will be allowed a coaching box. Notify Board Secretary or Commissioner the next day." Yet as late as early February, at sites that had hosted at least fifteen or sixteen combined girls and boys varsity home games, I had to instruct site directors or coaches to mark coaching boxes, even after junior varsity officials finished their game on the same court.

In my last girls varsity game, I had a girl wearing a gold headband with her white home uniform. I informed her that she must have a white headband to match her white jersey. She had already played at least nine home games and she looked at me like I was quoting a rule from the Martian Basketball Rule Book. In late January, in a boys varsity game, I had a visiting players with red jerseys wearing headbands, some red and some white. I told the players that they had a choice, white or red, so that they were all uniform in color. This was at least their fifth or sixth away game.

"What are these guys getting away with when I'm not there?" If everybody did their job in the early part of the season, I wouldn't have to deal with these problems later in the season.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 24, 2007 at 07:26pm.
Old Sat Feb 24, 2007, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
What are these guys getting away with when I'm not there?
Well, there getting away with behaving in an unsporting manner.

Good job. You handled it perfectly.
Old Sat Feb 24, 2007, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
From Snaqwells: "What are these guys getting away with when I'm not there?"

"What are these guys getting away with when I'm not there?" If everybody did their job in the early part of the season, I wouldn't have to deal with these problems later in the season.
Hmmm, Did a GV game Team B 41 has a knee brace on exposed hinges without a sleeve. Inform player and coach she cannot play without a sleeve. The coach stated they have played 21 games and no one have said anything about it before.

I told the coach I can't do anything about the first 21 game but this 22nd game she either put a sleeve or she will not play. "What are these guys getting away with when I'm not there?"
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Hmmm, Did a GV game Team B 41 has a knee brace on exposed hinges without a sleeve. Inform player and coach she cannot play without a sleeve. The coach stated they have played 21 games and no one have said anything about it before.

I told the coach I can't do anything about the first 21 game but this 22nd game she either put a sleeve or she will not play. "What are these guys getting away with when I'm not there?"
I tend to think the coach was not completely honest about this.