The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 13, 2001, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Question

Rule 9-1-4: "The free thrower shall not fake a try, nor shall any player in a marked lane space fake to cause an opponent to violate."

Situation: A1 has the ball to attempt a FT. A2, in a marked lane space fakes a move into the lane in an attempt to cause B1 in the adjacent space to violate. No member of Team B violates.

Question: Do you penalize the fake, even tho nobody fell for it? Or do you only penalize the fake if it actually causes an opponent to violate?

It seems to me that the wording of the rule is ambiguous: "to cause an opponent to violate". It can be read to mean that he fakes "in an attempt to cause an opponent to violate"; or it could be read to mean that his fake "actually causes an opponent to violate".

What are your thoughts? I argued that it means the latter; that is, you don't penalize it unless it actually causes a violation. But my friend insisted that you penalize any fake. He called our board interpreter, who agrees with him. I guess I can live with that, but I'm not convinced they're right.

[If A1 is at the line and B1 fakes, then you could have disconcertion; but that's totally different from what I'm asking.]

Chuck
Old Tue Nov 13, 2001, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

The case plays on the subject back up your argument. If the thrower fakes, it's a violation. If someone along the lane fakes, it's penalized if an opponent steps in.

Read the rule as two separate statements. Replace "Nor shall" with "shall not" to adjust for grammer.

"The free thrower shall not fake a try."

"A player in a marked lane space shall not fake to cause an opponent to violate."

I agree with you.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 06:23am
In Memoriam

Heckuva question,Chuck!I had to crack the books on it,and I honestly can't see a definitive answer.The wording in the rulebook is poor and the actual sitch is not covered in the casebook.Common sense tells me to agree with you and TH--you don't call the fake along the lane by A1 unless it actually causes a violation.You could quietly tell the faker to smarten up,though.The problem is my common sense and the rulebook don't go hand in hand sometimes.I used to think that simultaneous(hate that word) personal fouls couldn't possibly be a false double foul either.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
The case plays on the subject back up your argument.
TH,

The casebook plays in this year's book all seem to deal with a fake that actually works. Is there a case in a previous book that deals with a fake that doesn't draw an opponent into the lane? I have old casebooks, so if you're thinking of a particular one, I could go look it up (and rub my friend's nose in it )

Chuck
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

TH,

The casebook plays in this year's book all seem to deal with a fake that actually works. Is there a case in a previous book that deals with a fake that doesn't draw an opponent into the lane? I have old casebooks, so if you're thinking of a particular one, I could go look it up (and rub my friend's nose in it )

Chuck
I didn't dig up any old case books to look. You're correct that just because a play isn't in the casebook, doesn't mean it would be incorrect. But I believe we're correct, just based on breaking down the rule. Good luck with it!

Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Situation: A1 has the ball to attempt a FT. A2, in a marked lane space fakes a move into the lane in an attempt to cause B1 in the adjacent space to violate. No member of Team B violates.

[If A1 is at the line and B1 fakes, then you could have disconcertion; but that's totally different from what I'm asking.]

Chuck
Could an official's judgement be that A2's action were "disconcertation" (free throwing team's violation) and award the ball to Team B for throw-in at the nearest spot to where the violation occured?

Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 04:38pm
Esteemed Participant

I suppose the official could try that, but good luck explaining to Coach A that you are taking away their free throw because HIS OWN TEAM disconcerted the shooter!! Not a good idea...as stated above, if the fake on the lane doesn't cause a violation, we got nothing!!

dj
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Quote:

Chuck
Could an official's judgement be that A2's action were "disconcertation" (free throwing team's violation) and award the ball to Team B for throw-in at the nearest spot to where the violation occured?

Why look for violations? There will be enough to call that are obvious during the flow of the game. I have witnessed more officials digging themselves into a hole by "looking" for fouls and violations. Knowing the rules is one thing, but applying them using good judgment is another, IMHO.
1. Trust your partner, 2. Referee the defense, 3. CALL THE OBVIOUS, and 4. Stay in your primary.

[Edited by Fox40 on Nov 14th, 2001 at 03:57 PM]
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think anyone is looking for violations, Fox. We're simply disscussing the rule, so that we may enforce it correctly.

Willie, only the opponent can disconcert the shooter.

Old Thu Nov 15, 2001, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Solid Advice Fox 40

Todd-

I am also aware that the FT team can not disconcert its own shooter. Just throwing out a "red herring".
Old Thu Nov 15, 2001, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Re: Solid Advice Fox 40

Quote:
Todd-

I am also aware that the FT team can not disconcert its own shooter. Just throwing out a "red herring".
Who the hell is Todd?

Old Thu Nov 15, 2001, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Wink

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BktBallRef
[B]I don't think anyone is looking for violations, Fox. We're simply disscussing the rule, so that we may enforce it correctly.

BBRef,
I understand. I am just saying game management is just as important as knowing the letter of the rule. ---Fox
Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy My apologies TONY

I made that post in a hurry and errantly entered the WRONG NAME. I am at fault, no evil intent was involved. Please accept my humble apologies.

I will NOT make that mistake again.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Any o' you homos. . .

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Todd-

Who the hell is Todd?
Lighten up, Frances.

Chuck
Old Sat Nov 17, 2001, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

I was just yankin' Wally's chain.

Uh, Willie's chain.