Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
It's FAN-tastic

http://sports.aol.com/whitlock/_a/ma...20103009990001
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Wow!

And none of that made Sportscenter - shame.

thanks
DAvid
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

This rarely happens, but I actually agree with Whitlock. Bill Simmons' article about the weekend is pretty funny. I think they should dump the premise of all star games in all sports. The pro-bowl is terrible, the basketball game (admittedly I didn't watch) sounds like it gets worse every year, and the pitching restrictions in the baseball game makes players take the mound under very unfamiliar conditions. I guess they're a nice pay-day for the host cities and the leagues though.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 10:41am
In Memoriam

Oh !
My !
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
This rarely happens, but I actually agree with Whitlock. Bill Simmons' article about the weekend is pretty funny. I think they should dump the premise of all star games in all sports. The pro-bowl is terrible, the basketball game (admittedly I didn't watch) sounds like it gets worse every year, and the pitching restrictions in the baseball game makes players take the mound under very unfamiliar conditions. I guess they're a nice pay-day for the host cities and the leagues though.
Junker, what are the pitching restrictions in the baseball all-star game? Out of all the sports, I've always enjoyed baseball's all-star game the best. It's classy, they always spend time paying tribute to legends of the game and it's high quality because there's the home-field advantage at stake now.

The point of an all-star game is not to, as the NBA does, see how many highlight plays you can have in one game, but to answer the question "Man, how good of a game would that be if you got the game's best players all on the same court/field for one game." The NBA doesn't do that because no one really cares that much about the outcome.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

I don't watch the NBA but I would have watched the All Star game if I was home. However, I was not willing to change any plans just to see it. It's funny how the media is not making this top news yet we need to the minute updates in Anna Nichole. O-well, it's the same way the media covers most things.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
Junker, what are the pitching restrictions in the baseball all-star game? Out of all the sports, I've always enjoyed baseball's all-star game the best. It's classy, they always spend time paying tribute to legends of the game and it's high quality because there's the home-field advantage at stake now.

The point of an all-star game is not to, as the NBA does, see how many highlight plays you can have in one game, but to answer the question "Man, how good of a game would that be if you got the game's best players all on the same court/field for one game." The NBA doesn't do that because no one really cares that much about the outcome.
There are no real restrictions, but you have starter coming in after an inning or 2 and such. Then there was a couple of years ago when they called the game because neither team had enough pitchers to go extra innings. That was what I was trying to address. Of all the all-star games, I agree that baseball does the best job, but it still doesn't really get me going as a fan.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
There are no real restrictions, but you have starter coming in after an inning or 2 and such. Then there was a couple of years ago when they called the game because neither team had enough pitchers to go extra innings. That was what I was trying to address. Of all the all-star games, I agree that baseball does the best job, but it still doesn't really get me going as a fan.
I thought the pitching was great last year. What's his name from the Dodgers was unconscious through the first what was it? three innings? Didn't he get like 7 straight strikeouts or something?

Maybe they need to add more pitchers to the lineup to remedy the problem.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=DC_Ref12]The point of an all-star game is not to, as the NBA does, see how many highlight plays you can have in one game, but to answer the question "Man, how good of a game would that be if you got the game's best players all on the same court/field for one game." The NBA doesn't do that because no one really cares that much about the outcome.[/QUOTE]

and How good of a game do you really get? you get no defense from anyone NOT named Sean Taylor, you get a I am here because I have to be attitude from players, you have weird written and unwritten rules so NOONE gets hurt.

right what a great game where all the players are there for a paycheck and dont want to compete.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
you have weird written and unwritten rules so NOONE gets hurt.
Except punters playing for psychotic coaches.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 12:44pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
The NBA doesn't do that because no one really cares that much about the outcome.
I heard Kobe on the Dan Patrick show and he said that Bill Russell told him that in Russell's first All-Star game, there were 3 fights!! I guess they cared back then!
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Nothing
But
Assault

Scrapper also back then only the winning team got paid...
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 01:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

This did happen in a big city right? This was Las Vegas right? What does any of this have to do with the NBA. Gangs are all over the place. I doubt seriously that some of these same incidents do not take place during other events. And the fact that Jason Whitlock wrote this article tells me a lot about the credibility of this story.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

JRut -- you are failing to understand that this happened IN LAS VEGAS -- our most moral and uncorrupt city. The streets are safe and the people that visit are law abiding.

This weekend of terror can only be attributed to the thuggish mentality that the NBA brought to the quiet and peaceful city in the desert.

Jason Whitlock used extreme objectivity in his article and I am sure that the citizens of Las Vegas will be happy if this boorish game never went back.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 04:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Vegas was much better when the mob ran it. I first visited Vegas in 1961. My grandparents lived there and I would go out there from Chicago for a few weeks in the summers during school break. I took the train. I had cousins in LA that would meet me there. Dinner buffets were $1.99 and you could see two big acts at dinner shows for about $5.00 including dinner. I saw the original Rat Pack a few times. Then, in 1970, I lived there for a while before coming to Portland. I've been back numerous times, mostly for trade shows.

It's really a shame what's happened to that town.