The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 13, 2001, 04:31pm
Suppref

Smile

Has anyone had the opportunity to work some HS varsity (scrimmage or pre season tourney)? I am interested to the reaction of the POE on the forearm in the back. Previously we would allow it if there was no push off, although now we are supposed to call it. Any feed back?
Old Tue Nov 13, 2001, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I have called nearly a month's worth of HS senior varisty games already, both girls and boys. I see the forearm in the back more often than not in the girl's games. It is usually accompanied by the defender's knee in the other girl's rear. I know we are suppose to call it, but our crews have been using the advantage/disadvantage to the offensive player in that if it prevents a move by the offensive player especially with the ball, a holding foul is called. So, yes I call it and call it more often than in years past. But it is not an automatic with me. We work exclusively 3 man crews in Arkansas and have for years, so we get to watch a lot more "off ball" contact than in 2 man and that type of call (holding by the defense)is made much easier as well as "off ball illegal screens" and "hooking" by the offensive player where they find the defensive player behind them and wrap (hook)a arm behind the defensive player.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2001, 05:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

They get the "forearm on the back" look from watching NBA. If you allow it, even if there is no pressure, then next they will be emulating even more NBA junk, like wearing jewelry during games, choking coaches (although that's not really that bad ), getting a bazillion technicals each season and violating the drug rule.

As Barney Fife says, "Nip it, nip it in the bud."
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Mark

since when have you seen an NBA player wear jewelry? and Only Rasheed gets that many T's.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2001, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ref42
Forearm Also Accepted at NCAA Level

Mark,

Unfortunately this "forearm in the back" is really only a highschool "no no". At both the NCAA Men & Women levels this is accepted as legal guarding action, but now i'm only speaking for players in the post. Now for the men the player cannot "displace"(Keyword This Year)the oppnent with forearm, but can "rest" it. Then upon the post player receiving the ball the arm then has to come off immediately. For the women they have defined the forearm with even more situations, but i'm a men's official and don't know the specifics. So this is really no longer an "NBA Look", kids are seeing this all the time at the college level also on TV.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2001, 02:51pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Mark

since when have you seen an NBA player wear jewelry? and Only Rasheed gets that many T's.
Are you serious about the jewelry? Virtually every NBA player wears jewelry during games.

As for Rasheed, just wait until Ruben Patterson gets more playing time here for the Blazers. They're going to have a "T" contest.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2001, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Are you serious? there are no NBA players who wear jewelry on the floor. They wear a ton off the floor and that may give you the impression but the only thing the NBA has allowed that is less restrictive than NF is the rubber band on the wrist. The league does not allow jewelry. The league enforces the shirt rule tighter than NF does. The league does not allow T shirts nor did they ever allow compression shorts to show. There are few who wear goofy socks. THE NBA Is tight about the uniform rules, the players break them they dont play or get fined.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Yes, call it now, called it back when. This is not football; the defender is controlling the movement of the offensive player with that forearm in the back. There is no need to push off, all the defender has to do is ride/steer the other player away from where he wants to go.