The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 02:29pm
MWI

Time OUt - TO ?

We had this happen last night. Team A in controf ball. Partner think he hears TO from bench, I know should of seen it, and grants team A TO... When he gets to bench coach said she did not call TO, but was saying POP OUT...Partner then gets teams back on court and we resume play without charging TO.. I told him I thought we needed to grant TO once it is awarded...Thoughts.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 02:38pm
In Memoriam

Once the official grants it, the team has to take it. Case book play 5.8.3SitE.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 02:41pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Timeout question!
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Exactly. I know of at least one official that has booted this in his career (I'm sitting here smiling sheepishly.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Those situations are a nightmare.

A good pregame - and generally more so with female coach's who TEND to have lower vocals - remind them a visible TO signal is really needed.

It amazes me how many sounds drifting around a basketball court sound to me like "time out"!
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
Those situations are a nightmare.

A good pregame - and generally more so with female coach's who TEND to have lower vocals - remind them a visible TO signal is really needed.

It amazes me how many sounds drifting around a basketball court sound to me like "time out"!

I did the same this year.....

Coach is setting up a half-court play with his hand in the air and all five fingers extended yelling "5-Out"......

I grand the time out only to recognize my mistake...I compounded it by just inbounding the ball and moving on, I wasn't going to stick him with a TO he didn't want......Told him he needed a new name and signal for that play though....
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 03:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWI
We had this happen last night. Team A in controf ball. Partner think he hears TO from bench, I know should of seen it, and grants team A TO... When he gets to bench coach said she did not call TO, but was saying POP OUT...Partner then gets teams back on court and we resume play without charging TO.. I told him I thought we needed to grant TO once it is awarded...Thoughts.
He didn't ask for a time out -- this situation is far different than a defensive player or coach getting an unwarranted timeout. THEN I'd grant it.

It's an inadvertant whistle, or at least that's how I'm treating it.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
He didn't ask for a time out -- this situation is far different than a defensive player or coach getting an unwarranted timeout. THEN I'd grant it.

It's an inadvertant whistle, or at least that's how I'm treating it.
I agree....I'm not going to force a coach to take a timeout that he did not want OR ask for. Just simply rule inadvertant and move on. It's not a big deal...IMHO
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 04:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea
I agree....I'm not going to force a coach to take a timeout that he did not want OR ask for. Just simply rule inadvertant and move on. It's not a big deal...IMHO
It's also not the rule. You're making up your own rule because you don't like the one we are stuck with. That's wrong.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
IMO, this casebook play doesn't apply to the situation in the original post. Wouldn't this apply more to when you grant a TO to a request from a coach/player when their team doesn't have any left? I think it this situation I have an inadvertant whistle and resume play at POI.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In this situation, I read the case being that Team B was requesting a timeout in a situation where they should not be granted one. I read on that once a timeout is granted it can not be revoked, but is it really granted if it was never requested?
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 05:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF
IMO, this casebook play doesn't apply to the situation in the original post. Wouldn't this apply more to when you grant a TO to a request from a coach/player when their team doesn't have any left? I think it this situation I have an inadvertant whistle and resume play at POI.
That case play said that the official erroneously granted a TO. In the initial post of this thread, MWI said that his partner granted a TO, possibly erroneously if you believe the coach. According to the rules though, it doesn't matter whether the coach was actually calling a TO or not. All that matters is that you actually granted the TO. You might not like the ruling(I don't) but if you don't follow it, you're ignoring a definitive case play completely. And making up your own rules.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 05:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
In this situation, I read the case being that Team B was requesting a timeout in a situation where they should not be granted one. I read on that once a timeout is granted it can not be revoked, but is it really granted if it was never requested?
Go back and read the original post. The official granted team A a timeout. Granted! He may have granted the TO erroneously but he did grant the TO.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Go back and read the original post. The official granted team A a timeout. Granted! He may have granted the TO erroneously but he did grant the TO.
I guess what I am asking about is in case rule 5-8-3E it states that Team B was granted a TO in a situation where the official should not have granted it. In my mind that means the coach requested a TO and was granted a TO, give it erroneously and now must live with it. No question on that. but.....

My question is, if the coach did not actually request a TO, does this situation actually apply?
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 05:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
My question is, if the coach did not actually request a TO, does this situation actually apply?
Yes, you erroneously granted the TO. Now both you and that coach have to live with it. The case play says that it can't revoked after you grant it.

Again, I personally don't like that ruling. But....it is a ruling.