The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Hadn't seen this before

I am not a referee, just looking for some education. Was watching a 14u game last night. Team A has ball in front court. Ball gets knocked loose and a mad scramble begins. A team A player inadvertantly kicks the ball and it rolls fast into back court. Another team A player gives chase and stops the ball with his foot just like a soccer player and picks it up. He then dribbled back into front court. There is no way the official didn't see it happen as he followed the player into back court. I thought this was a violation. Please educate me one way or the other.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastdavis
I am not a referee, just looking for some education. Was watching a 14u game last night. Team A has ball in front court. Ball gets knocked loose and a mad scramble begins. A team A player inadvertantly kicks the ball and it rolls fast into back court. Another team A player gives chase and stops the ball with his foot just like a soccer player and picks it up. He then dribbled back into front court. There is no way the official didn't see it happen as he followed the player into back court. I thought this was a violation. Please educate me one way or the other.
AS described this was both a backcourt ("over and back") violation and a kick violation on A.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

What bj said. The 2 violations occurred simultaneiously.

Backcourt violation because:
ball was in team control in frontcourt, team A is last to touch the ball before it goes into the backcourt, team A is first to touch the ball after it has been in the backcourt.

The backcourt violation is not for making the ball go into the backcourt, but for being the first to touch it after it has been in the backcourt under the above conditions.

Kicking violation because any "intentional" contact with the ball by the foot/leg is illegal.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, there is some number of officials (and even more coaches) that think that a deflected ball absolves the team with "team control" from a backcourt violation in all cases without regard to who touched it last. (I believe that would actually be true in the NBA).