The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Do you apologize?

Varsity boys game last night and I think I blow a call early in the third quarter. Kid blows down the lane and in hindsight he probably walks before he gets fouled and the basket goes.

Coach goes ballistic and runs out onto the court while I am coming to the table to report the foul. I obviously have to whack him for coming on the court and throwing a tantrum. He returns to the sideline, but continues his tirade. I give him the stop sign trying to avoid the ejection, but he won’t stop. So I bang him with another. He also proceeds to drop an “F” bomb before he leaves the gym.

My question is this. Do you or should you ever apologize to the coach for probably missing one? Or should you just move on and forget about it?
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 12:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Start apologizing to coaches for bad calls after they start apologizing to you for bad coaching.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
It depends a lot of times on the relationship that you have with the coach involved. If he is being levelheaded and will talk to you (and listen), there is nothing wrong with getting close enough to him to let him know you missed a particular call. This is not necessarily apoligizing for the call, but just letting him be aware that you realize that the call was incorrect. He knows you can't take the call back, but should appreciate your honesty in admitting a mistake. Than being said, don't do it more than once a game.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu4scott
Varsity boys game last night and I think I blow a call early in the third quarter. Kid blows down the lane and in hindsight he probably walks before he gets fouled and the basket goes.

Coach goes ballistic and runs out onto the court while I am coming to the table to report the foul. I obviously have to whack him for coming on the court and throwing a tantrum. He returns to the sideline, but continues his tirade. I give him the stop sign trying to avoid the ejection, but he won’t stop. So I bang him with another. He also proceeds to drop an “F” bomb before he leaves the gym.

My question is this. Do you or should you ever apologize to the coach for probably missing one? Or should you just move on and forget about it?
Had the coach not gone ballistic, you might have been able to have a nice conversation and said something like, "I'll try to get a better look through the key next time coach." But since he made that conversation impossible, just let it go.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 12:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
In this case there's no way he gets an acknowledgement that you MAY have a missed a call. He blew that with his reaction.

There are 1 or 2 ocassions during each season where I told a coach that I may have missed something on an earlier play. But I don't go out of my way to do it nor do I apologize.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

It depends on the situation. If it was an officials error, i.e. giving the ball to the wrong team for inbound, then I have no problem explaining that to the coaches.

A possible error on a judgement call is a different. By definition it's subjective, and the judgement that counts is that of the official. Mistooks happen, and you need to remember that hindsight is always 20/20. We've all been in situations where we've second guessed our initial call, but one thing I've learned is that my initial call is usually correct. Trust your gut instincts. If there was a question at the time it occurred, then you need to get together with your partner immediately & decide what the call will be - travel or foul. Once the decision is made, it's done, and you move on from there.

Regardless of whether or not there was an error in the call, the coach's subsequent behaviour was completely unjustified. He deserved both T's and the resulting ejection, although it would have probably been better if your partner had issued the 2nd one. His expletive before leaving should also be in your ejection report.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
Had the coach not gone ballistic, you might have been able to have a nice conversation and said something like, "I'll try to get a better look through the key next time coach." But since he made that conversation impossible, just let it go.
Good point. Something I've used a time or two is "Coach, if it happened the way you described, then we missed it. We'll watch harder for it next time." But you have to have a dialog established for that to work.........in this case not possible.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

I had a coach the other night, that "thought" he saw a hold go uncalled. I was trail...we do 2 whistle in AZ...so we had about the same look through the players and from what I could see through the off ball action it wasn't.

We go the other way and I now have a foul against his team, obvious stuff, and he's up yelling.

I report and go over: "Coach, we may have missed it, but I won't have you screaming at us across the court."

He replies, "I wasn't screaming at you, but your partner..."

I cut him off and said, "You won't be screaming at either of us," then walked away.

I whacked him about 5 minutes later, too.

Seems that his number 1 seed in the region tournament was getting out played, and he was getting out coached...but of course it was the officiating that was costing him.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

i have had a situation or 2 come up where after I make my call i am not to happy with it -- coach says something like they disagree and asks what I had and I tell them "coach right now I am not too happy with that call either -- I will work harder next time." -- then move on. you have to read a coach and understand if they can handle this comment in a responsible manner -- if you think they will be a jerk down the line with it by bringing it up then just say something like "i will work harder to get a better angle next time".

its ok to show you could have screwed up but that you will work to improve. good coaches expect officials to screw up here and there and as long as its consitent they will work with you.

in your case there was no working with him -- next time maybe try and get your partner to attempt to smooth things over with the coach to cool him down while you are attempting the first set of T free throws. however unless he says something across court then nail him. I try and defuse situations between my partner and coaches whenever possible -- sometimes not possible at all and 99% of the time the coach gets what he deserves.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the responses.

It was the first time I've had to toss a coach in seven years of officiating. The part that makes me feel bad is that I screwed up and while he did over react if I would have gotten the call right he would be coaching again tonight. Instead he sits out his teams game tonight and I'm off to officiate.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 02:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

It was the first time I've had to toss a coach in seven years of officiating. The part that makes me feel bad is that I screwed up and while he did over react if I would have gotten the call right he would be coaching again tonight. Instead he sits out his teams game tonight and I'm off to officiate.
Don't beat yourself up over this. I'm willing to bet this wasn't the first call you missed in your 7 years; yet no other coach has lost his composure like this. You weren't the problem here, and you can't kick yourself for not calling the perfect game.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

As an experience ref you know you have certain options to correct a call, as a matter of factyou have a series of choices you can make.

My view is that you were (are) considering a correction but the higher priority of sportsmanship, capacity for human error, respect for basketball and the roles officials play, were overcome by other events mandating calls you must clearly make.

Your options were removed for you.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
As an experience ref you know you have certain options to correct a call, as a matter of factyou have a series of choices you can make.

My view is that you were (are) considering a correction but the higher priority of sportsmanship, capacity for human error, respect for basketball and the roles officials play, were overcome by other events mandating calls you must clearly make.

Your options were removed for you.
Very well put.

I'm done with it..... on to the state tournament.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

He has a right to be angry about the call. He needs to learn to express the anger appropriately. You have helped teach him.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
I agree with you zebraman, he wouldn't let it get to the point you could talk to him. They no in a 3-man crew you will be tableside and they can talk to you without yelling. Maybe he will do that better next time.