The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
In your sitch there's no way he gets any explaination. However, there have been times where a coach went nuts on a walk or oob call (or whatever) and I've gone over and said something like "Yep, I kicked it - sorry coach, I haven't quite mastered that 'perfect' thing yet" - it gets a smile and he knows I'm human and in his own little way feels vindicated and I believe appreciates it.

We have a guy in our board that does it the wrong way. A mediocre official but makes himself even worse by apolgizing all the time. "Coach, I'm sorry I had to call that foul." "Coach, he did walk, but I'm sorry I had to call it" - sheeeeeesh, now that's a problem.

I kicked one bad last year at the end of a game that did actually hurt a team - didn't cause them to lose the game - but didn't help them win either. The coach and I do have a good relationship and talk often when we cross paths. He told me during a softball game this summer that I blew it - I told him, hey I might have - I didn't have a great look at it and I'd love to see the tape. Of course it was months after the game and tempers were calmed down but I did admit that it's possible I blew it. I'm not one to put on the superior attitude that I cannot make a mistake - if I'm wrong I admit it - but never in a situation like in the OP.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Just a follow up.

On my way to my game last night I get a call from the offending coach apologizing for his actions. He was very complimentary of me and said, "even though I think you missed the call I never should have acted like that".

Told him that I owe him a beer for the bad call and he owes me $.39 for having to report his tantrum to the state.

We both laughed and all's well that ends well.