The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Just elated

The efforts of tying to improve my game have paid off. I got my first HS playoff game this past weekend. Everything went well. I got called to do a second playoff game, but had to decline because I live in the school district of one of the teams.

I want to thank all who have helped me over the years to improve my game through your rules knowledge and advice. I do credit this forum as being a valuable tool.

Thanks again to all.

Keith
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref in PA
The efforts of tying to improve my game have paid off. I got my first HS playoff game this past weekend. Everything went well. I got called to do a second playoff game, but had to decline because I live in the school district of one of the teams.

I want to thank all who have helped me over the years to improve my game through your rules knowledge and advice. I do credit this forum as being a valuable tool.

Congrats!! Is that a PA rule that if you live in the school district you can't call the game?
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Not here

In my district, only if there is a conflict of interest. You or a close relative workis at that school or your kid goes there. Maybe his district is different.
You also need to be 10 years removed. EX: I went to school A. I stopped going at age 17. I can't ref them in the playoffs until I am 27.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

At the WPIAL meeting for potential playoff refs, they said they wanted you to refuse the game if there was a conflict of interest. Living in the school district was one of the conflicts they listed. My daughter graduated from the school district last year and my niece plays JV ball there - so I qualified for a conflict on a couple of different levels.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At the WPIAL meeting for potential playoff refs, they said they wanted you to refuse the game if there was a conflict of interest. Living in the school district was one of the conflicts they listed. My daughter graduated from the school district last year and my niece plays JV ball there - so I qualified for a conflict on a couple of different levels.

CONGRADULATIONS!! I had to refuse a HS playoff assignment because I have a nephew that goes to that HS and he doesn't even play Bball. Iwas put on another game though. ENJOY!
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

congrats --

In California we cannot officiate playoff games from our association -- and I hate it -- got us driving 1.5-3 hours for games.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 11:34am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
What if you dis-owned them? Then, no conflict of interest.

Just kidding: congratulations!!!
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Same school I'd understand but the entire district seems a little too broad. Only way I'd see a district as a conflict is if the official or relative worked for the district in a district-wide position.

My oldest child will be a student (non-athelete) at school A next year. As long as she is there, I'll not be scheuded any games there. But that should have no impact on schools B, C and D which are in the same district. It's just not relevant.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 03:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

In my area we get to choose where we personally do not want to work. There are not specific guidelines on what schools to block off. I could even see myself working a game with my HS Alma mater if for no other reason that I do not live there, I have not been there in years. I know more people at schools in that area.

Peace