The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 10, 2001, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

I should know this one, but I can't seem to find the rules or casebook play.

A1 is bringing the ball up after a made basket. A2 is straddling the halfcourt line - one foot FC, other BC. A1 passes to A2.

If A2 starts a dribble, can he then move completely into the backcourt? Also, are there any other restrictions on his movement?
Old Sat Nov 10, 2001, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

If A2 starts a dribble, can he then move completely into the backcourt? Also, are there any other restrictions on his movement?
Yes.... He can move completely into backcourt because technically he still is in backcourt. He never gain front court status... NF 4.4.1, 4.4.2, 4.4.6

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

The only problem is if A2 first pivots on the foot in the FC. This requires the foot in the BC to be raised off the floor, and A2 now has FC status. The dribbling exception (3 points, both feet and ball) is not in force because A2 is not (yet) dribbling.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2001, 04:27pm
Suppref

How about this?

Quote:

A1 is bringing the ball up after a made basket. A2 is straddling the halfcourt line - one foot FC, other BC. A1 passes to A2.

What if A2, straddling the division line fumbles the ball into the front court, then while still straddling the line picks it up? BC violation?
Old Tue Nov 13, 2001, 04:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool here it is - your moment of zen

Isn't it weird that the division line is always in the backcourt? What I mean is, if team A has the ball, their backcourt includes the entire line, but if team B has the ball, the line is now part of their backcourt even though the line never moved!!!

I think Kafka wrote the NF rules.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2001, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Re: How about this?

Quote:
Originally posted by Suppref
Quote:

What if A2, straddling the division line fumbles the ball into the front court, then while still straddling the line picks it up? BC violation?
Yes, violation. The ball gained FC status when it bounced...a fumbler does not benefit from the dribbler exception. When A2 touches the ball again, it has backcourt status. There was team control by A the entire time. A2 was the last to touch the ball that had frontcourt status before A2 touched it in the backcourt.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Nov 13th, 2001 at 06:40 PM]