The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 24, 2000, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Question: What are your thoughts about the philosophy that if in the open court, with no defensive pressure on the ball handler, the ball is carried as it is brought up the court? I have heard that in that exact scenario, no violation should be called. My belief is: If it is a violation with defensive pressure, then it is also a violation without defensive pressure.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2000, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

This is something that is hard. Yes you are right in the fact that a carry is a carry, but if there is not any defense, I might try and tell the player if not the coach that they need to be careful of the dribble, because it is close to a carry. If there is defense on the player than I will call the carry.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2000, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
Smile

quote:
Originally posted by PatLynch on 01-24-2000 06:38 PM
Question: What are your thoughts about the philosophy that if in the open court, with no defensive pressure on the ball handler, the ball is carried as it is brought up the court? I have heard that in that exact scenario, no violation should be called. My belief is: If it is a violation with defensive pressure, then it is also a violation without defensive pressure.

Early in the game--No Pressure--I tell the coach to let the guard know that he needs to keep his hand on top. First dead ball--I tell the player the same thing--then I nail them if they do it again with or without pressure. After the first quarter--I call it when I see it. I have heard several advanced officials say that if you haven't called it all game, you can't call it in the 4th quarter. I have called it for the first time in the 4th quarter and calmly explained to the coach that that was the first time I saw it--usually not a problem. I also make an allowance for 4th quarter subs (non-starters) in blowout games. They will probably get a warning if they are unguarded.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2000, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

A question: in open court. Was the carry clearly evident to everyone in the building and did it bring a loud roar from the throats of the crowd.?

or: without defensive pressure the thrower-in had his big toe across the endline and only you saw it?

A believe this might be a distinction on when to pass and when to call the violation.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2000, 11:35pm
In Memoriam

quote:
Originally posted by BK on 01-24-2000 07:29 PM

Early in the game--No Pressure--I tell the coach to let the guard know that he needs to keep his hand on top. First dead ball--I tell the player the same thing--then I nail them if they do it again with or without pressure. After the first quarter--I call it when I see it. I have heard several advanced officials say that if you haven't called it all game, you can't call it in the 4th quarter. I have called it for the first time in the 4th quarter and calmly explained to the coach that that was the first time I saw it--usually not a problem. I also make an allowance for 4th quarter subs (non-starters) in blowout games. They will probably get a warning if they are unguarded.

Yeah, Bk!
Sounds pretty okay to me.
mick

Old Wed Jan 26, 2000, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

The men's college philosophy is that an advantage must be gained to call a carry. A dribble can almost do anything he wants in the backcourt with no pressure and not violate.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

That is true 'boileref', but in the same regard, the NCAA also made palming a Point of emphasis. I like the advantage/disadvantage philosophy. I think the spirit of the rule is what is important here when managing violations 85 feet from the hoop. On the other hand, it is a double edged sword because it is in fact a violation and there are many coaches who want you to call it by the book.

How is that for 'riding the fence' on the issue. I guess I have not offered much of a concrete answer. Sorry guys(gals!