The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Very Earnest Dad

I was working some games in Padgett's league Saturday morning, and we had one game with this really nice dad to do the book. He'd never done it before, and wanted to do a good job. Padgett instructed him carefully, and then turned to the clock person to instruct him (this is common since most of these parents haven't done these things before). Padgett told the clock guy, "Set it for seven minutes" and then told him how to do it. The book dad said to me, "Quarters or halves?" I said (joshingly, I thought), "Halves." He looked at me kind of puzzled, and I said, "Just kidding."

So at half-time, we are walking over to the book, and he's getting up which is no big deal really, Padgett looks at the book, and says to him, "You needed to keep the team fouls all in their own half of the game," and he pointed to that part of the book. The book dad said, "I did. See this is the second half here". He was so sincere, I had to muster all my self-control not to laugh out loud in his face.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 12:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Juulie - you forgot to mention how "Mr. Coffee" was guarding the girls bathroom.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Juulie - you forgot to mention how "Mr. Coffee" was guarding the girls bathroom.

I'll let you tell that one in your own inimitable way.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 01:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I'll let you tell that one in your own inimitable way.
First of all, before all of you think I can't count to eight, our rec league plays seven minute quarters at that level.

OK, now about "Mr. Coffee". We rent the gyms from the School District and they have a rule prohibiting food or drink in the gyms (except water in plastic bottles). We always get some people who try to bring their Starbucks, etc., into the gym and we have to tell them to take it outside. One of our own conditions for the refs is that they have to do this if they see it. If a school custodian comes by during the game (which happens often) and he or she sees a coffee cup, it gets reported and our league (an independent non-profit) has to pay a fine ($15) to the School District for each infraction.

On Saturday, some guy comes in with his mug. I ask him (politely at first) to take it outside and state it's a School District rule. He says I'm the "only ref" who enforces that rule and just smirks. I thank him for telling me that and state I will make sure all the other refs enforce it and reiterate that he must take the mug outside. He just sits down and ignores me (he thinks). I give him the ejection mechanic and, in a very loud voice, tell him that if he doesn't take the mug outside immediately, he will be kicked out of the gym and suspended from attending games for the rest of the season.

He stares at me and asks my name. I give him my first name. He says he's going to "report me". I tell him "fine, since I'm in charge of the refs and am on the Board of Directors, you would be reporting me to me." He stares again, then gets up and leaves. About 10 minutes later, he returns (without the mug) and proceeds to stand up for the rest of the game right in front of the girls bathroom (I have no idea why). Late in the game, when Juulie says she is going to the restroom (yeah, I know - much more than you wanted to know), I tell her I hope she can get past the "guard".

Aaahhhh! Saturday morning rec leagues. They're fun and a half.