The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Thumbs up ODU vs. VCU

Did anybody see that game this saturday????? Comments.....I thought the game got way out of control and the official had to reel it in very quickly which cased two top players from both side fouling out.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to miltdawg55
Yeah, I saw it but I thought the crew did a good job reeling it back in once they decided they'd had enough. They started blowing everything.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Was this a regional game? Those games can sometimes be wars and the referees don't understand why.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonetoRef
Was this a regional game? Those games can sometimes be wars and the referees don't understand why.
It was a conference game between colleges that are 75 miles apart. There was a lot of heartburn from the first contest @ VCU on the part of the ODU coaching staff.

I'm sure the officials were well aware that this would be a heated rematch.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 04:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Say what? I can't agree with that statement at the college level. Whoever's handing out the assignments and giving direction to the officials in the respective league usually will let the officials know if there might be problems. Most officials are also usually aware going in if there is a traditional rivalry involved, trouble expected from a previous game, etc. It's usually made part of the officials' pre-game re: what to expect.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

JR...I agree most officials should discuss animosities during pre-game. College schedules are given before the season (except for injury/illness). Someone who is Jurassic should know; rivalry games are at a higher level to begin with. I didn't see the game...according to IREFU2 it must of been out of hand until the officials reigned it in. At the college level...GAMES SHOULDN'T BE OUT OF HAND, PERIOD.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 04:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Excerpts from the local paper>>>

This is from the newspaper that covers ODU locally:
Saturday's game mirrored the one played three weeks earlier in Richmond -- back-and-forth, emotional and physical. Each team had a starter foul out -- Vasylius with 3:50 remaining; VCU's Jesse Pellot-Rosa two minutes earlier. The Rams shot a season-low 33.3 percent from the field, including 5-of-16 from the 3-point arc in the second half.
The Monarchs also did a good job of adjusting to Vasylius being in and out of the lineup. He picked up his fourth foul with 12:57 remaining when, after being hacked by Wil Fameni, Vasylius was called for a technical. Vasylius said he "didn't say a word;" Taylor said the explanation he got was that there was some "bumping" going on after the whistle.
Limited to 22 minutes, Vasylius still exceeded his per-game averages with 16 points and 10 rebounds. His workmanlike afternoon can best be summed up by the nasty gash between his eyebrows that required him to sit a few minutes for treatment in the first half.
Heated rivalry game between the top 2 teams in the CAA. There were only 45 fouls called. Hopefully this was one of them:

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Feb 13, 2007 at 12:53pm.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 04:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
At the college level...GAMES SHOULDN'T BE OUT OF HAND, PERIOD.
At the college level, the players determine how the game is played. PERIOD. Sometimes you can try to rein 'em and they don't want to be reined in. You just do what you have to do.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Punch!!!

This was another one too!!!!!
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 10:26am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2

This was another one too!!!!!
Now that is really taking something out of context. Did you see this play live? There is no way I can tell that this was a punch for sure.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Now that is really taking something out of context. Did you see this play live? There is no way I can tell that this was a punch for sure.
It was a joke.......I didnt see that play, but I watch the whole game and tv and the ODU Guy (White Jersey) was getting hammered all game.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 10:35am
Huck Finn

OK, I see the thumbs up icon, I see several exclamation marks, but I don't see a smiley face. Are you trying to backpedal a bit?
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK, I see the thumbs up icon, I see several exclamation marks, but I don't see a smiley face. Are you trying to backpedal a bit?
Never, of course a still picture says a thousand word and if you look even closer, you could say white is slapping gold on the head!!!!! Plus, I am using the quick post button....no icons for faces....LOL
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 10:48am
Huck Finn

You can use these when you do a quick post.

Colon + capitol D will get you this:
Colon + "rolleyes" + colon will get you this:
Colon + close parenthesis will get you this:
Colon + open parenthesis will get you this:

I would just like to go back in time and see what you would have said if someone would have jumped on the punch bandwagon.
If I was a player, I don't think I would choose to punch someone when the ball is free right in my face.

Last edited by tomegun; Tue Feb 13, 2007 at 10:50am.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You can use these when you do a quick post.

Colon + capitol D will get you this:
Colon + "rolleyes" + colon will get you this:
Colon + close parenthesis will get you this:
Colon + open parenthesis will get you this:

I would just like to go back in time and see what you would have said if someone would have jumped on the punch bandwagon.
If I was a player, I don't think I would choose to punch someone when the ball is free right in my face.
Look, no debate here. I posted that pic to add to BadNews Picture. It was just a small comment to add to what his post said and the game was very rough and got out of control. But, the officials did a wonderful job getting it back under control. Sorry if I caused you or anyone any confusion on the post. I dont judge any official on any level, just learn from them.

Last edited by IREFU2; Tue Feb 13, 2007 at 10:58am.