The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 26, 2000, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

It seems as though the association should maybe think about restricting officials from playing in the leagues that they call games. It is a conflict of interest. It seems as though it may be possible if the players could keep their cool. I think it should be addressed among the board for the association or a discussion at a future meeting. The officials who play need to realize that there is professionalism that goes along with being an official whether you are calling a game or not people sometimes know you are an official.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2000, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

I am an official that also plays in the recreational senior league in the city I live. Our Officials Assoc. is currently struggling with the problem of officials that play. The problem has many layers that make a black and white answer impossible to use. Some of the other officials that also play have a hard time controlling thier emotions/tempers as players. This causes many problems within the assoc. and within the Rec. league.
Our Assoc. has adopted a policy that if you recieve a T-Foul you are automatically fined 1 game fee ( no questions asked). The league automatically fines the Player $10.
The problems that arise are:
1)You may have to work with the official that handed you The T-Foul the next night.
2) As a Player ( who also officiates) you make the assoc. look bad when you disrespect a fellow official.
3) You make yourself look bad (hypocrite).

If you have any past experience or thoughts on this subject please reply.

Old Wed Jan 26, 2000, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

I play in two leagues with the same teammates, and we occasionally encounter ref's who belong to our association. My team is pretty mellow, but I make it clear to the ref's that we get no preferential treatment, due to my standing in the association (I'm VP). But the flip side is my team knows when they kick a call, or if they're outta position, or reach on a call. You'll take some heat. There's a fine line, but rarely do we go overboard. BTW, our association has no guidelines concerning this.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2000, 03:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I occasionally work a rec league in which one of the senior members of my association plays. When he plays, he's usually the biggest jerk out there. I admit it does make it awkward to call his games, since I also have to sometimes work with him.

Since I am VP of my association, I think I may offer a rule to start next year against us playing in leagues in which we also ref and vice versa.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Our Rec. league has 8-10 divisions each year. If , for example, you play in Div. 2 and you are also an Official you are not assigned any Div. 2 games.
We have previously had rules that you couldn't play if you were an official. I don't think our assoc. can place this restriction on it's members from a legal standpoint.
Any ideas on a way around this?
One of the officials who is predictably a "jerk" 99% of the time is a real thorn in our Assoc. side.