The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

I need help on call I made tonight.

I need help on a call that I made tonight that I believe I may have gotten wrong.
Here is the situation: A1 attempts to dunk the basketball. As A1 gets above the rim, the ball slips from his hands and goes upward about two feet. A1 then grabs the ring and pulls down on it (ball is in cylinder at this time, probably about a foot above the ring). I call basket interference and then the ball falls straight down through the net. I wave off the basket and the coach of Team A questions why it's basket interference. I state that since the ball was in the cylinder and A1 grabbed the ring that it is basket interference. At halftime, my partners and I talk about it and try to search the NCAA rulebook for the correct call. We couldn't find the information we needed.

So...Can someone please help me to know if I was right or wrong on this play. Please cite NCAA rulebook with answer. Thanks for the help. If anyone needs more information about the play, please let me know.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

It's not basket interference. Rule 4.4.2 states that the ring must touch the ball before it goes back to its original position for it to be BI. In your case, the ball went straight through the hoop, so no BI.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Yep, you kicked it. The only possible call here is a technical foul for grasping the ring not to prevent an injury and since you said that this was a dunk attempt gone awry, that likely isn't appropriate.

Here is the NCAA BI rule:
Rule 4

Section 4. Basket Interference

Art. 1.
Basket interference occurs when a player:

a. Touches the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or

within the basket;
b. Touches the ball while any part of it is within the cylinder that has
the ring as its lower base; or
c. Reaches through the basket from below and touches the ball before
it enters the cylinder.

A.R. 68.
The ball is touching the side of the ring of Team A. B1 jumps and contacts the net. The ball is not touching the top of the ring. RULING: No violation. The ball shall remain live.

A.R. 69.
While the ball is touching the top of the ring on a field-goal attempt, a player emphatically grasps the ring. RULING: Double infraction. Both basket interference and an indirect technical foul shall be called. The moment the hand touched the ring, it was basket interference. When the player emphatically grasped the ring, an indirect technical foul occurred. (See Rule 10-3.12.)

A.R. 70.
The ball enters the basket during a field-goal try by A1. Before the ball is in flight for the try, A1 is fouled. A2 touches the ring while the ball is in the basket. RULING: Basket interference on A2. The goal shall be canceled. A1 shall be awarded two free throws because of the foul.

A.R. 71.
A1 rebounds the ball while part of the ball is in the cylinder and, in the same continuous motion, dunks. RULING: Basket interference. The ball shall be ruled dead when A1 contacts the ball in the cylinder, and the dunking of the dead ball shall be ignored. The basket shall be disallowed.

Art. 2.
Basket interference also occurs when a movable basket ring is pulled

down by a player so that it contacts the ball before the ring returns to its
original position.

Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

If A1 was still holding onto the rim when the ball entered the basket, it would be BI.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 05:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
If A1 was still holding onto the rim when the ball entered the basket, it would be BI.
True, but not applicable to the original post. TGR called BI before the ball entered the basket.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
True, but not applicable to the original post. TGR called BI before the ball entered the basket.
That doesn't means it's not BI. That just means he blew his whistle to early.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Similar sit. happen in my college game....only the player was still holding the rim when the ball finally passed thru the rim/basket (after bouncing up in air while still in cylinder).

As the T I froze and was about to call a T, but C came with a BI and waved off the basket. This was the absolute best outcome on the play....H coach is happy his player did not get a T for hanging on the rim and the V coach is happy because there is no basket. Neither coach said a word or complained about the call.....
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 06:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea
Similar sit. happen in my college game....only the player was still holding the rim when the ball finally passed thru the rim/basket (after bouncing up in air while still in cylinder).

As the T I froze and was about to call a T, but C came with a BI and waved off the basket. This was the absolute best outcome on the play....H coach is happy his player did not get a T for hanging on the rim and the V coach is happy because there is no basket. Neither coach said a word or complained about the call.....
Well, I guess that's better than making the right call and pissing someone off.

I guess.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Very good addition, Camron. I was envisioning the player letting go of the ring before the ball came down and entered the basket. The OP may have actually gotten the call correct for the wrong reason.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Well, I guess that's better than making the right call and pissing someone off.

I guess.
How is calling BI not the right call? It is precisely the right call.

The grabbing of the rim is, at most, a judgement call and you can't say that it was right or wrong....especially if it was a dunk attempt and even more so if there were other players near the basket.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
How is calling BI not the right call? It is precisely the right call.

The grabbing of the rim is, at most, a judgement call and you can't say that it was right or wrong....especially if it was a dunk attempt and even more so if there were other players near the basket.
Jeffpea wrote "As the T I froze and was about to call the T...". He had already judged that it shoulda been a "T" but was simply late blowing the whistle to call it- for some reason. His partner then called BI, so he just plain decided that he would ignore his own call. His rationale was that no one complained and everybody was happy.

My opinion is that you have to make the right call, and whether anyone is happy or not with your call should never be a factor.

You're trying to make a supposition out of a fact, Camron.