The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 05, 2001, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Question

In short Rule 9.4 (NFHS) states that a player cannot intentionally strike the ball with a fist. Has anyone ever called this or seen it called?
Old Tue Nov 06, 2001, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
At the lower levels, especially girls where they have just finished with volleyball season, you may see this by one or both of the jumpers during the opening toss.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2001, 03:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Believe it or not, this story is absolutely true. It happened about 10 years ago in a men's rec league game. I was working the game with a long-time veteran who has since retired.

The game was extremely rough and we had already called a bunch of technicals when it got out of hand and one player threw a really hard elbow in the nose of a defender. Another player on the defensive team then ran up and hit the first player right in the crotch.

He went down like a tree, as you might imagine. After we restored some semblence of order, we dealt with the ejections.

Afterward, my partner said I was too harsh on the guy who threw the punch and only should have called a violation, not a flagrant foul. I asked him why. He replied that it is only a violation for striking the ball with the fist.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2001, 03:13pm
Administrator

I have seen this call made by a partner in a boys' H.S. jr. varsity game years ago and I called it twice on the same player in the same game this summer in the YBOA Boys' Nat'l. Champ. Tourn. (14U age group).

It is a rare one, that is for sure
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Nov 08, 2001, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

I've called it, probably Frosh or JV boys. I don't recall where the air ball came from (it was not a shot) but the player wanted to really send it toward his own end.

My problem is thinking "fist" and coming up "open hand".
Old Sun Nov 11, 2001, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Believe it or not, this story is absolutely true. It happened about 10 years ago in a men's rec league game. I was working the game with a long-time veteran who has since retired.

The game was extremely rough and we had already called a bunch of technicals when it got out of hand and one player threw a really hard elbow in the nose of a defender. Another player on the defensive team then ran up and hit the first player right in the crotch.

He went down like a tree, as you might imagine. After we restored some semblence of order, we dealt with the ejections.

Afterward, my partner said I was too harsh on the guy who threw the punch and only should have called a violation, not a flagrant foul. I asked him why. He replied that it is only a violation for striking the ball with the fist.
ROFL my head off

My two sense!