The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Question What would you do?

JV Girls game tonight. I am R in 3 whistle crew. Player A steals ball from Player B at midcourt and drives toward basket. Player B gets behind her and at the top of the key makes a weak attempt to trip her from behind. There was no contact whatsoever, so I (Lead) made no call. Coach complained to my partner who was T, but he did not see it. After thinking about it, I am not so sure I did the right thing. I thought maybe Unsporting Act, and wondered if it should be treated as a swing that did not connect? What do you think??
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Kinda have to see it, but I think I'd have to say, no contact no foul. Maybe she was clumsy or awkward. If I was somewhat sure she had intent to trip, I'd probably let her know what horrible things would happen to her if she tried something like that again.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 10:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

If you were absolutely positive she was intentionally trying to trip the other player from behind and just missed, you certainly should call the T. Otherwise, no. And - if you call the T, also tell her that if she actually had connected, you would have considered it flagrant and would have ejected her. Impress upon her the danger to the other girl if she gets tripped while running.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 06:18am
Official Forum Member

Do what Mark said and here is how to do it in real life:

WITHHOLD WHISTLE
10.4.1 SITUATION E: A1 is driving toward the basket for an apparent goal when the official, while trailing the play advancing in the direction in which the ball is being advanced, is cursed by the head coach of Team B. How should the official handle this situation? RULING: The official shall withhold blowing the whistle until A1 has either made or missed the shot. The official shall then sound the whistle and assess the Team B head coach with a technical foul. If the official judges the act to be flagrant, the coach shall be ejected and shall leave the vicinity of the playing area and have no further contact (direct or indirect) with the team. If A's coach was the offender, the whistle shall be sounded immediately when the unsporting act occurs.

PS You are very fortunate to be in an area that does this:
"JV Girls game tonight. I am R in 3 whistle crew."