The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up I didn't see this one coming!

Losing coach finds me a few minutes after game time in a hallway. I was chatting with the varsity crew just outside the locker room. (We didn't share space 'cause they were ladies.)

Before I even knew this coach was headed my way, he's right next to me. He wanted to tell me that he thought the game was one of the best officiated he has had. He even had to go out of his way to find me.

If the other coaches find out, this guy may lose his job!
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

you should have T'd him up and filed a complaint for his confrontation with you outside the game...horrible just horrible

did you let your association know? when will it stop?
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

mark tsk tsk

LOSING coach said this
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

It does happen once in a great while....... I had one early in the season last year. Varsity girls tournament, partner's vehicle died enroute & he couldn't get there, assignor called the officials for the following game, but they were both coming from across town, it was late Friday afternoon & traffic was a mess. I went ahead & started it single official, which is our policy - one of the following officials finally got there with 5 min left in the 4th. After the game as I was leaving the building, the losing team's coach approached me, thanked me for calling a great game, and said it was the best example of single official mechanics he'd ever seen. It made my week!
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

****faints****

Congrats!
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

I had the wife of the head coach from the winning-visiting-team tell me (and my partners) that our game was really well officiated......and the nicest compliment of all...."what was realy nice is that you guys weren't jerks".

Glad to know that, at least on that night, I was a good official and NOT a jerk.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

If you're going to believe 'em when they tell you how good you are, then you've gotta believe 'em when they tell you that you suck too.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
If you're going to believe 'em when they tell you how good you are, then you've gotta believe 'em when they tell you that you suck too.
I'm not sure I believed him. I was just surprised to hear it!

And he said "best officiated", not "well officiated". I just sucked less than everyone else.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

When the winning coach says you did a fine job, I tend to get a bit 'gun-shy' because this is the same guy that thinks you suck when he loses the game. The only times I feel we have done a good job is when the losing coach says, 'nice job, guys' or when nothing is said by either coach. Like we were ghosts out there and simply faded away after the game. sometimes after a game (week or two) a fan will simply say, 'Its like you guys were invisible out, we hardly noticed you'. That's when we know we hit it right.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_from_Mi
When the winning coach says you did a fine job, I tend to get a bit 'gun-shy' because this is the same guy that thinks you suck when he loses the game. The only times I feel we have done a good job is when the losing coach says, 'nice job, guys' or when nothing is said by either coach. Like we were ghosts out there and simply faded away after the game. sometimes after a game (week or two) a fan will simply say, 'Its like you guys were invisible out, we hardly noticed you'. That's when we know we hit it right.
Had a Boys/Girls Doubleheader a couple weeks ago where the visiting team was from 200 miles away. Between games, a fan approached me and told me what a nice job we had done in the first game and said, "We (as fans) really can't even tell that you're from here. Things were called pretty evenly." That was after the visiting team had lost the girls game.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 06:24pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea
I had the wife of the head coach from the winning-visiting-team tell me (and my partners) that our game was really well officiated......and the nicest compliment of all...."what was realy nice is that you guys weren't jerks".

Glad to know that, at least on that night, I was a good official and NOT a jerk.
jerk = ***** on the Fed board.