The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   No big dogs (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31483-no-big-dogs.html)

Rita C Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:57am

No big dogs

Tonight I reffed a JV game with two referees who are NOT super focussed on doing state games or advancing. Just content to do the best they personally can do.

What a difference. More fun.

Rita

zebraman Sun Feb 04, 2007 01:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rita C
Tonight I reffed a JV game with two referees who are NOT super focussed on doing state games or advancing. Just content to do the best they personally can do.

What a difference. More fun.

Rita

I have reffed with several people who are focused on advancing and working state tournament AND they have a blast too. Those two things do not need to be mutually exclusive of each other.

Rita C Sun Feb 04, 2007 01:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebraman
I have reffed with several people who are focused on advancing and working state tournament AND they have a blast too. Those two things do not need to be mutually exclusive of each other.

Tsk. Tsk.

I said it was more fun. I didn't say the others weren't fun.

Rita

Adam Sun Feb 04, 2007 02:33am

I thought for a second you were talking about "seeing eye dogs."

JRutledge Sun Feb 04, 2007 08:48am

Quote:

Tsk. Tsk.

I said it was more fun. I didn't say the others weren't fun.

Rita

I seriously hope (more for you sake) that you are not judging one day as the norm. It might be that these particular individuals were more fun to work with compared to what you have been dealing with previously.

Also the people that tend to be the most fun to work with are the people that want to advance, want to work post season. Why? These officials are usually trained more by attending more camps and they do a lot of little things to make sure the game moves smoothly. As compared to the working with the weekend warrior that is more concerned with their check than doing a good job.

Peace

BoomerSooner Sun Feb 04, 2007 09:52am

I also find that the other officials that I work with that are motivated toward climbing the ladder to higher levels, etc. are more confident and thus will be more likely to joke around at appropriate times. Pre-gamming with them is much more efficient because we aren't covering obscure little things and therefore have time to debate weird things that we have encountered. Also many of the more experienced/motivated officials are a bit older than I am, and know that I've got a 4 year old, my wife and I are expecting our 2nd, and I am finishing up my degree, therefore they give me the kid in need of some charity treatment by buying dinner when we go out after games and the such. Actually have had a couple of guys give me equipment that they've only used once or twice and just didn't like the feel. They had it dry-cleaned and everything first.

tomegun Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:27am

I guess the thinking behind this thread got shot down pretty quick. :D

Ref Daddy Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:44am

Seen my share of ref's that get caught up in the competitive spirit, they are driven to get the biggest games, gym's, players, game checks, etc.

They chase the "stage".

Others enjoy the basics. A good sweat on a competitve court of play and $35.00 pocket money.

Nothing wrong with either - but when these two forces share a locker room ..... :mad:

Rita C Sun Feb 04, 2007 05:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun
I guess the thinking behind this thread got shot down pretty quick. :D

Yeah, they got defensive fairly quickly.

But none of you asked why, really.

I appreciate the pregames and the postgames of the big dogs. I learn a lot from them. But one game once in a while where I can just go out and officiate and enjoy the game and be my own critiquer and work on what I need to work on and then go home is quite refreshing and a needed break.

I know they just want me to improve and I do too. But it's been a tough season for me physically and mentally, especially since I lost a lot of games to weather and illness. So it's nice to just "play" for one evening.

It's a heads up for some of you who wonder about how to retain the new officials. Why do they leave after a couple of years? What I'm feeling may be a part of it.

Rita

zebraman Sun Feb 04, 2007 05:43pm

Quote:

I appreciate the pregames and the postgames of the big dogs. I learn a lot from them. But one game once in a while where I can just go out and officiate and enjoy the game and be my own critiquer and work on what I need to work on and then go home is quite refreshing and a needed break.

I know they just want me to improve and I do too. But it's been a tough season for me physically and mentally, especially since I lost a lot of games to weather and illness. So it's nice to just "play" for one evening.

It's a heads up for some of you who wonder about how to retain the new officials. Why do they leave after a couple of years? What I'm feeling may be a part of it.

Rita

Sorry if you thought I got defensive. I didn't. I just didn't think your point was valid.

I can't remember a recent game that I didn't enjoy, nor can I think of one when I wasn't working on something. And I work with big dogs as well as little dogs regularly.

I've seen many reasons why officials leave the game after a couple years.
"Working with the big dogs" has never been on the list. :)

Johnny Ringo Sun Feb 04, 2007 06:04pm

it was a 3-person crew at the JV level?

Rita C Sun Feb 04, 2007 06:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebraman
Sorry if you thought I got defensive. I didn't. I just didn't think your point was valid.

I can't remember a recent game that I didn't enjoy, nor can I think of one when I wasn't working on something. And I work with big dogs as well as little dogs regularly.

I've seen many reasons why officials leave the game after a couple years.
"Working with the big dogs" has never been on the list. :)

I had two games I didn't enjoy this year. Games I probably shouldn't have worked but I didn't realize how sick I was before I went. (And didn't know till I went to the doctor a few days later. Sinus infections can sneak up on you.) My partner snapped at me out on the court. In the locker room he told me I had to suck it up. I was but not enough for him. It was terrible. If I had the ego some people bring to officiating I wouldn't have come back it was that bad.

But I do have enough ego that I have been having to work at bringing the fun back since. Hence the relief last night was.

Rita

Rita C Sun Feb 04, 2007 06:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
it was a 3-person crew at the JV level?

That's required here. Plus it allows the "middle" officials that I'm supposed to be to gain three person experience before advancing to varsity.

Rita

JRutledge Sun Feb 04, 2007 06:16pm

Quote:

Sometimes the crap people come up with amazes me. If you wanted anyone to know why, then why did you not put that in your post?

Quote:

So you want to go in to a game not knowing the expectations of your partner whether it is mechanics, rules or how to handle tough situation which tend to come up during any game? That is telling in a lot of ways.

Quote:

Rita

Actually Rita, I do not want to work with officials that have your attitude. Maybe officiating is not for you. I know younger officials that do all those things you seem to despise. Also I know younger officials who do this more so than veterans who have been around for decades and are less accomplished. Whatever floats your boat.

Peace

Rita C Sun Feb 04, 2007 06:36pm

[QUOTE=JRutledge

Actually Rita, I do not want to work with officials that have your attitude. Maybe officiating is not for you. I know younger officials that do all those things you seem to despise. Also I know younger officials who do this more so than veterans who have been around for decades and are less accomplished. Whatever floats your boat.

Peace[/QUOTE]

You don't want to work with someone who wants to do her best at every game? As I said, it's been a rough year but I can see improvement. I found the other day that when I was reading the officiating manual that it was finally making sense on the level that means I've gotten to the point that I'm starting to fine tune the mechanics instead of having it all be Greek.

What did I say that I despised?

Very interesting. Chip on your shoulder too?

Rita