The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Angry Liability Issue @ Ortonville

I am interested in hearing some opinions from registered officials on this matter.

On Tuesday, January 23rd my stepson participated in a Freshman Boys Basketball game at Brandon High School. Due to poor planning or scheduling, or perhaps just mixed signals, no registered officials were present at this game. Instead, a woman faculty member of Brandon High School, and also what I can only assume was an underaged female student, were asked to "referee" this contest. I'm not quite sure the reasoning behind this decision. Perhaps Brandon didn't want to forfeit the game, or perhaps the parties responsible simply didn't realize the error they were making in this decision.

Am I wrong in assuming that the athletic director of Brandon High School made a huge mistake by allowing these two unregistered females to officiate? Two random unregistered females are not insured in a situation like this. Especially an underaged student. Had an accident happened during that game, both the female "referees" would have been in enormous legal trouble, not to mention the school.

Did Brandon High School violate any laws or rules by allowing this to happen? My son was on the visiting team from Rochester, and a few of us were appalled by this.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeneFam
Am I wrong in assuming that the athletic director of Brandon High School made a huge mistake by allowing these two unregistered females to officiate? Two random unregistered females are not insured in a situation like this. Especially an underaged student. Had an accident happened during that game, both the female "referees" would have been in enormous legal trouble, not to mention the school.

Did Brandon High School violate any laws or rules by allowing this to happen? My son was on the visiting team from Rochester, and a few of us were appalled by this.
Check and see if your state has rules covering the situation. I doubt very much that anyone here could give you any kind of definitive answer. It's really outside our area of expertise.

I do know that most school insurance policies will still cover whoever the school designates to officiate, so I doubt that the there was no coverage for your team or your son. I'm not a lawyer though.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

You cannot start a game with only one registered official. I have not seen anything regarding the use of non-registered officials. I'm not sure what effect a conference game using officials such as these would have on standings etc.

I think that the players/team members etc would all be covered under insurance policies for any injuries etc that might happen- perhaps even the non-registered officials as well. However, the insurance companies themselves might look to take action against the unregistered officials if they believed that their action, inaction, or lack of basketball knowledge was a contributing factor in an incident. In any case - I think that the game should not have been played under those circumstances.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

This isn't the place to come for answers - you need to be asking these questions of someone at your State governing association for high school sports to find out what their policies and procedures are. Before you do though, get facts - assumptions and opinions are worthless.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
You cannot start a game with only one registered official.
Perhaps that is true where you live, but I think in most places, you can play a game with only one official.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Yup, that is a state issue. In my state, as I understand it, the host school would have to forfeit the games because all high school contests need to have two registered officials (or 3). In middle school games only 1 official has to be registered with the state.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
This isn't the place to come for answers - you need to be asking these questions of someone at your State governing association for high school sports to find out what their policies and procedures are. Before you do though, get facts - assumptions and opinions are worthless.
This is not a place to come for answers? I would think an officiating message board would be the foremost place to come for answers regarding an officiating question.
I did check out the Michigan High School Athletic Association's website regarding insurance liability and according to them, unregistered officials would not be covered by them.

I am not looking to take any legal action, I was merely wondering for my own curiosity.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:43pm
Official & Member

Quote:
My son was on the visiting team from Rochester, and a few of us were appalled by this.
Would you have been less appalled if the game was just cancelled after travelling across town? I'd give the home team administration some credit for letting it take place at all. Understand that it was a sub-varsity contest...that means, most likely, the only real effect of not playing would be on the JV players.

I'm not a lawyer, but I expect the "refs" they used were probably covered legally & insurance wise as they were performing duties related to athletic activity...whether as a student or faculty member. Just a guess, though.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Thu Feb 01, 2007 at 03:47pm.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

We cannot start a game with only one registered official, however, if something happens where an official cannot continue, the game may be finished with only one official even if the incapicatated official was hurt on the jump ball starting the game.

kind of weird.

All officials must be registered from MS through HS Varsity contests.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
You cannot start a game with only one registered official. I have not seen anything regarding the use of non-registered officials. I'm not sure what effect a conference game using officials such as these would have on standings etc.
Says whom?

I have had many games over the years start with one official. That is only a local rule if there is any rule that covers this at all. That also might not apply to the OPers area.

Also you cannot assume that the officials are not registered. They very well might have been. All you can do is talk to the coaches and maybe AD to who the officials are, but you cannot assume that they were not licensed or did not fit many requirements of that level.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am interested in hearing some opinions from registered officials on this matter.

On Tuesday, January 23rd my stepson participated in a Freshman Boys Basketball game at Brandon High School. Due to poor planning or scheduling, or perhaps just mixed signals, no registered officials were present at this game. Instead, a woman faculty member of Brandon High School, and also what I can only assume was an underaged female student, were asked to "referee" this contest. I'm not quite sure the reasoning behind this decision. Perhaps Brandon didn't want to forfeit the game, or perhaps the parties responsible simply didn't realize the error they were making in this decision.

They probably didn't violate any laws or rules but I'd bet a game check that they violated the terms of the school's catatrosphic insurance policy. Most of the policies requires officials who are registered with a state association or sanctioning body.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is not a place to come for answers? I would think an officiating message board would be the foremost place to come for answers regarding an officiating question.
I did check out the Michigan High School Athletic Association's website regarding insurance liability and according to them, unregistered officials would not be covered by them.

I am not looking to take any legal action, I was merely wondering for my own curiosity.
This is not an officiating question. We deal with the rules of the game, not with what your state or school's insurance provider requires.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Just curious...if they had been male, would your post have included this many references to their gender? Doubtful.

Your problem seems to go beyond "unregistered", which for all we know, is an assumption on your part.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Also you cannot assume that the officials are not registered. They very well might have been. All you can do is talk to the coaches and maybe AD to who the officials are, but you cannot assume that they were not licensed or did not fit many requirements of that level.
No I know this for a fact, one official was a substitute teacher, the other was student, still dressed in her JV volleyball practice uniform. The teacher MAY have been registered, but I find that a stretch. And after emailing the principal he acknowledge that there were no registered officials present.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No I know this for a fact, one official was a substitute teacher, the other was student, still dressed in her JV volleyball practice uniform. The teacher MAY have been registered, but I find that a stretch.
Why? Because she was a substiture teacher, or because she was a she?

I was "registered" when I worked as a substitute teacher.