The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 05:04pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I will agree that shining the laser in a kids eye is wrong for an adult to do. Shining a laser in any players eyes is wrong. My point is this. Why not give people a chance.

Please tell me where you officiate. I want to be sure I don't have any relatives or friends in your state that can possibly end up in a game where you are working. Why not give people a chance to do what?!? Permanently injure a kid? This isn't just bad judgement on an alleged adult's part. It's CRIMINAL abuse!!!!
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You got no legal issues coming at you. Sometimes the simplest approach is the easiest approach.
Although we may live in a litigious society, it's doubtful there's a basis for legal action, at least meaningful action. How about an 'enjoyment obstruction' theory? Judge---summary judgment for the defendant and awarded attorney fees.

Although, Old School, I understand your desire to give people a chance, a warning, in my opinion, would be inapropriate given the safety concern and considering that the perpetrator was an adult.

In regards to the wife requesting to meet with the official. Whoever fielded this request should have immediately told her---NO.

Last edited by dan74; Sat Feb 03, 2007 at 06:07pm.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 06:23pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan74
Although we may live in a litigious society, it's doubtful there's a basis for legal action, at least meaningful action. How about an 'enjoyment obstruction' theory? Judge---summary judgment for the defendant and awarded attorney fees.

Although, Old School, I understand your desire to give people a chance, a warning, in my opinion, would be inapropriate given the safety concern and considering that the perpetrator was an adult.

In regards to the wife requesting to meet with the official. Whoever fielded this request should have immediately told her---NO.
How about a meeting with the parents of the FT shooter?
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How about a meeting with the parents of the FT shooter?
God help the guy who shines one of those at my kid. God help me afterwards.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
God help the guy who shines one of those at my kid. God help me afterwards.
Now, now Ignats! You wouldn't want to embarrass anybody!
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sometimes the simplest approach is the easiest approach.
Well, that's both a redundant statement and an easily misinterpreted abuse of "simple" as an adjective. Did you mean "easy to understand" or "unlearned, as in ignorant," or perhaps "lacking mental acuteness or sense."

Truly, the easiest to understand is often the easiest, as is being ignorant. However, I find that lacking sense takes a great deal of effort.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 12:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Bach
Well, that's both a redundant statement and an easily misinterpreted abuse of "simple" as an adjective. Did you mean "easy to understand" or "unlearned, as in ignorant," or perhaps "lacking mental acuteness or sense."

Truly, the easiest to understand is often the easiest, as is being ignorant. However, I find that lacking sense takes a great deal of effort.
You forget, as long as your consistent in your ignorance, you'll do fine. Old School might even assign you some of those career-enhancing YMCA games.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 12:52am

Quote:
I will agree that shining the laser in a kids eye is wrong for an adult to do. Shining a laser in any players eyes is wrong. My point is this. Why not give people a chance. This is a game of competition and everyone is looking for an edge to help there teams win. Maybe some people cross the line as in this case, but I will never believe that the parent who also has a kid out there on the floor is trying to do harm to the other players. Consider this if you will. How would you feel if you walked over there and gave the parent a warning not to shine that laser again or he will be removed? The parent complies and there's no more problems the rest of the game. The game completes normally. How would you feel then? That's all it took! Isn't it at least worth a try? You didn't embarrass nobody, you got no after the game issues you need to go talk to some administrator about. You got no legal issues coming at you. Sometimes the simplest approach is the easiest approach.
OS/JMO-This is insanity.

Last edited by sj; Sun Feb 04, 2007 at 01:36am.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 01:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Can't stop laughing.......can't breathe......
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Why? Do You breathe thru your kneecap?
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 12:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
Please tell me where you officiate. I want to be sure I don't have any relatives or friends in your state that can possibly end up in a game where you are working. Why not give people a chance to do what?!? Permanently injure a kid? This isn't just bad judgement on an alleged adult's part. It's CRIMINAL abuse!!!!
Not sure I understand where I officiate has anything to do with this. My point is; no one was injured and there's no telling how long he was doing this b4 someone mentioned it. So if the parent was doing this and nobody got hurt. Telling him not to do it again is reasonable, at least to me it's reasonable. You must also tell him that it is illegal at any basketball game because he simply may not know. Aren't these the same lasers they use in some rock concerts? If they are, I haven't heard of anybody's eyes being put out here because of this. Maybe these parents are thinking the same thing. To me, this falls in the same category as artificial noise makers, or other devices used at the game to try and get an advantage.

Give the person the benefit of the doubt. Now that you have informed him that it is illegal. If he does it again, it's out and you got more people to help ensure it doesn't happen again. Jumping to the extreme like what was done put everybody on the brink. You took away any chance for the parent to not lose face and say, I didn't know and will never do it again. This is a good result too, even though nobody here will acknowledge it. Instead you choose the no other way option and now you got the worse coming at you. Now, the incident is not over. Several days later and you're still dealing with it. Your job is to officiate the game, not to police the event.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 12:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
Why? Do You breathe thru your kneecap?
Not everyone keeps their genitals in the same place, Captain.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 12:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Not sure I understand where I officiate has anything to do with this. My point is; no one was injured and there's no telling how long he was doing this b4 someone mentioned it. So if the parent was doing this and nobody got hurt. Telling him not to do it again is reasonable, at least to me it's reasonable. You must also tell him that it is illegal at any basketball game because he simply may not know. Aren't these the same lasers they use in some rock concerts? If they are, I haven't heard of anybody's eyes being put out here because of this. Maybe these parents are thinking the same thing. To me, this falls in the same category as artificial noise makers, or other devices used at the game to try and get an advantage.
These are the same laser pointers used in classrooms and business meetings; the ones that come with warnings not to shine them in the eyes of anyone. It's not about the eyes being put out, it's about the long term damage. They're not just illegal, they're dangerous.

Where you officiate is relevant only in as much as none of us want our kids put in danger because some official wants to "give people a chance."
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 12:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Telling him not to do it again is reasonable, at least to me it's reasonable.
That sums it up quite nicely for anyone that might still be wondering what way to go.

One one side you have the opinion of officials. On the opposite side you have the opinion of Old School. Make your choice.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 12:38pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Where you officiate is relevant only in as much as none of us want our kids put in danger because some official wants to "give people a chance."
EXACTLY! Thank you, Snaq.