The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
Of course, he apparently swore on his way out of the gym and his wife calls the AD midweek with a circular conversation and in the end wants to talk to me next week about embarrassing her husband, etc.

You didn't embarrass her husband. He embarrassed himself. Don't bother talking with this idiot, or his wife.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 03:18am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Ref
You didn't embarrass her husband. He embarrassed himself. Don't bother talking with this idiot, or his wife.
If you do talk to her, tell her to confiscate his toys next time she lets him out of the house to play.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 06:19am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I would have given the parent a warning first to let him know (just in case he doesn't) it's illegal. If he shines it again, we're stopping the game and I'm going to have a conversation with this person.
You wouldn't use The Old School Stare of Immediate Painful Death(tm) first?
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
I work with lasers on a daily basis, and even the low power LED laser pointers can be dangerous if shined directly in the eyes - hence the warning label you'll find on every one of them (its required by federal regulation).
Warning: Do not look into laser with remaining eye.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Let me get this straight. His wife called the AD? His wife wants to talk to you about embarrassing him? Did his wife pay for his ticket to the game?
She paid the full $1, I'm sure.

Ok, thanks for the replies - I guess there is nothing specific in the rules regarding laser pointers and yes, I will remember to communicate with the fans exclusively through the AD next time. In no way will I believe a warning should have been given to an adult before ejecting them for this.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
In no way will I believe a warning should have been given to an adult before ejecting them for this.
Not to an adult, a teen, or a chimpanzee. I'm walking right over to game administration, pointing the person out, and telling them to give him the heave ho. I've seen too many adults like this fool and his wife, who believe that there should never be consequences for their stupidity. And I know their kids, too.

Old School, I didn't think you could amaze me with your foolishness any more than you already have. Congratulations, you proved me wrong.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

We are responsible for the safety of the players. That is dangerous behavior. that is also ludicrious behavior at a 6th grade game. Evidence Exhibit 1,243 in the Ignats theory that grownups shouldn't be allowed to attend kids' games.

Personally, he's lucky all I did was embarass him. And yes, I would personally ask him to leave and point him out to the site administrator. The game doesn't start until he is gone.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 02:05pm

I will agree that shining the laser in a kids eye is wrong for an adult to do. Shining a laser in any players eyes is wrong. My point is this. Why not give people a chance. This is a game of competition and everyone is looking for an edge to help there teams win. Maybe some people cross the line as in this case, but I will never believe that the parent who also has a kid out there on the floor is trying to do harm to the other players. Consider this if you will. How would you feel if you walked over there and gave the parent a warning not to shine that laser again or he will be removed? The parent complies and there's no more problems the rest of the game. The game completes normally. How would you feel then? That's all it took! Isn't it at least worth a try? You didn't embarrass nobody, you got no after the game issues you need to go talk to some administrator about. You got no legal issues coming at you. Sometimes the simplest approach is the easiest approach.

My point is also this. One you locate who it is, you just told everyone else in the gym, particularly the opposition, that this moron is doing this and they will make sure that doesn't happen again, and if it does, somebody else will probably report him and you don't have to worry about it.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I will agree that shining the laser in a kids eye is wrong for an adult to do. Shining a laser in any players eyes is wrong. My point is this. Why not give people a chance. This is a game of competition and everyone is looking for an edge to help there teams win. Maybe some people cross the line as in this case, but I will never believe that the parent who also has a kid out there on the floor is trying to do harm to the other players. Consider this if you will. How would you feel if you walked over there and gave the parent a warning not to shine that laser again or he will be removed? The parent complies and there's no more problems the rest of the game. The game completes normally. How would you feel then? That's all it took! Isn't it at least worth a try? You didn't embarrass nobody, you got no after the game issues you need to go talk to some administrator about. You got no legal issues coming at you. Sometimes the simplest approach is the easiest approach.

My point is also this. One you locate who it is, you just told everyone else in the gym, particularly the opposition, that this moron is doing this and they will make sure that doesn't happen again, and if it does, somebody else will probably report him and you don't have to worry about it.

Unbelievable. You get this idiot out of the gym immediately and hope that they never let him or his wife back in again! Those two need serious help.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is a game of competition and everyone is looking for an edge to help there teams win

Where do I start. Does the concept of unsporting behavior ring a bell? Give soemone a chance? Hell no. That kind of idiocy is out the door for any game I'm working.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 03:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Ignore. Wrong.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 03:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Any parent who would try this to begin with needs to be taught a lesson by having him removed. No warnings, no pleases, and no thank yous. Laser pointers come with warnings, and a parent who read the warning and chooses to endanger another child's eyesight deserves a lot of punishment. Unfortunately, the most I can do is have him removed. Any parent who is ignorant of this warning needs a hard lesson to remind them to read the labels. He's done, and I'm not thinking twice about it. I'll never know how it feels to warn him and be able to finish the game peacefully.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

No, perhaps Old School is on to something. Let's adopt this with our justice system. After a gangbanger shoots somebody, we just explain that it's wrong and we expect that he will not do it again. If he says OK, then why bother with any punitive action? We got what we wanted and we don't have to deal with the whole hassle of the legal system.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 04:34pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
If the guy's wife wants to see her husband embarrassed, then perhaps charges could be laid against him. Pretty sure this behavior is unlawful in addition to being moronic.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 04:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
If the guy's wife wants to see her husband embarrassed, then perhaps charges could be laid against him. Pretty sure this behavior is unlawful in addition to being moronic.
Nothing like an "assaulting a minor" charge to teach a lesson.