The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 25, 2000, 01:59am
Official Forum Member

A foul is called just before the end of regulation. Buzzer sounds - time is at 0:00 and the game is tied. The foul results in free throw attempts. Can the opposing coach call a time out? And if so, how many???
Old Tue Jan 25, 2000, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Either team can call time out. However, successive time outs are not allowed after the expiration of playing time in the fourth or extra period. (5-12-3)

Therefore, after the first time out at the end of playing time, neither team may be granted a time out until the clock has properly started to begin the overtime period.

[This message has been edited by ken roberts (edited January 25, 2000).]
Old Tue Jan 25, 2000, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

The coach can call a time out, and that's it, only one. No other time outs can be called by either team, until time has run off the clock.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2000, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Since the foul and resulting free throws are technically still part of the fourth quarter, and the question of overtime hinging on whether any of the throws are made, could it be that the successive time-out rule does not apply yet? Once there is definitely going to be an overtime period, you can't have successive TO's before OT starts. But I'm thinking (without my rule book handy) that until we officially begin the minute between regulation and OT, we are still in the fourth quarter and the coach might still be allowed a couple of time-outs in a row if he so desires.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2000, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Since the foul and resulting free throws are technically still part of the fourth quarter, and the question of overtime hinging on whether any of the throws are made, could it be that the successive time-out rule does not apply yet?

Rule 5-12-3: "Successive time-outs shall not be granted after expiration of playing time for the fourth quarter or any extra period."

Playing time has expired for the fourth period, but the period itself continues. Freezing the shooter at the end of the game is precisely the reason for the successive time out rule in the first place.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2000, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Good point. I gotta start putting my rule book in my briefcase, or keep last year's books in my office.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2000, 07:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

quote:
Originally posted by Todd VandenAkker on 01-25-2000 04:09 PM
Good point. I gotta start putting my rule book in my briefcase, or keep last year's books in my office.

Why not just buy two books?

Old Wed Jan 26, 2000, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett on 01-25-2000 06:28 PM
Why not just buy two books?

Didn't you notice the last name? I'm Dutch! (gotta live up to our reputation) Besides, I never order my books--our state association automatically sends them to us each year after we register.