The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Virginia vs. Clemson (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31293-virginia-vs-clemson.html)

IREFU2 Sun Jan 28, 2007 04:09pm

Virginia vs. Clemson

Anybody see the travel on the Virginia Player when he lands on his back after getting the rebound near the end of the game?:confused:

Toadman15241 Sun Jan 28, 2007 04:53pm

I was about 12 feet away from the play, and being a Clemson fan obviously thought it was a travel.

Rich Sun Jan 28, 2007 04:57pm

If the player went straight to his back from the air, I believe this is legal under NCAA rules. Travel in NFHS land, though.

Someone who is certain will come on here and comment, I'm sure. I'm just a HS official.

Nevadaref Sun Jan 28, 2007 05:27pm

A.R. 110.
Is it traveling when a player (a) falls to the playing court while holding the ball; or (b) gains control of the ball while on the playing court and then, because of momentum, rolls or slides, after which the player passes or starts a dribble before getting to his or her feet? RULING: In (a), yes, because it is virtually impossible not to move the pivot foot when falling to the playing floor. In (b), no. The player may pass, shoot, start a dribble or call a timeout. Once the player has the ball and is no longer sliding, he or she may not roll over. When flat on his or her back, the player may sit up without violating. When the player puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is the first to touch the ball, it also is traveling. When a player rises to his or her feet while holding the ball, it is traveling. When a player falls to one knee while holding the ball, it is traveling if the pivot foot moves.

Jurassic Referee Sun Jan 28, 2007 06:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
In (a), yes, because it is virtually impossible not to move the pivot foot when falling to the playing floor.

What pivot foot has a player in the air grabbing a rebound established before landing?:confused:

IREFU2 Sun Jan 28, 2007 06:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
What pivot foot has a player in the air grabbing a rebound established before landing?:confused:

He got the rebound, and then fell backward on his back. Both feet hit the floor first.

Rich Sun Jan 28, 2007 06:11pm

Quote:

Regardless, in NFHS rules this (falling straight to the floor) is a travel. I know you know that, but I'm trying to be thorough. 4-44-5a.

IREFU2 Sun Jan 28, 2007 06:13pm

:D We are talking about NCAA Rules.....that call could have change the momentum of the game.

Rich Sun Jan 28, 2007 06:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2
:D We are talking about NCAA Rules.....that call could have change the momentum of the game.

Yawn. And so could 6743 other things.

Jurassic Referee Sun Jan 28, 2007 06:21pm

Quote:

He got the rebound, and then fell backward on his back. Both feet hit the floor first.

But if his butt hit first, would it still have been traveling? If he lands flat on his back and the bottom of either feet never touch, is it traveling?

When did a pivot foot get established and moved in those cases?:confused:

Raymond Sun Jan 28, 2007 06:27pm

Quote:

Meaning it's a travel, NCAA or FED.

Rich Sun Jan 28, 2007 06:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Meaning it's a travel, NCAA or FED.

Right. It's a travel, as described.

Scrapper1 Sun Jan 28, 2007 06:34pm

Quote:

But if his butt hit first, would it still have been traveling? If he lands flat on his back and the bottom of either feet never touch, is it traveling?

In those two cases, forget about calling traveling. . . Call the trainer. Ouch!

Rich Sun Jan 28, 2007 06:36pm

Quote:

When did a pivot foot get established and moved in those cases?:confused:

In a HS game, this is traveling. 4-44-5a.

Jurassic Referee Sun Jan 28, 2007 06:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
In a HS game, this is traveling. 4-44-5a.

Quit trying to spoil my fun by being realistic.:mad:

I figgered in another post or two I coulda had Nevada agreeing with me.