The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Tip off

Hi all,
I have a real newbie question for you. What is a good technique for tossing up the ball for the tip off. It kind of feels natural to me to push it up using one hand from about chest level. However, it doesn't consistently go up straight. What are some recommendations?

Thanks!
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 03:10pm
In Memoriam

Have one of your partners do it.

And welcome to the forum.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

practice practice practice

then repeat as necessary
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 03:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is completely personal to what you do. I use a two hand toss after a bounce. It works for me and I rarely have a bad toss (in my opinion at least). I have tried the one arm toss and I cannot do it very consistently. I would suggest that you try some different techniques and come up with the most comfortable.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski
Hi all,
I have a real newbie question for you. What is a good technique for tossing up the ball for the tip off. It kind of feels natural to me to push it up using one hand from about chest level. However, it doesn't consistently go up straight. What are some recommendations?

Thanks!
Welcome to the board. Whatever form you use, practice it under the basket. As I stand under the basket, I'm aiming to go straight up through the bottom, then straight down. This is the only "nuthin but net" I can do anymore.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 03:22pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
This is completely personal to what you do. I use a two hand toss after a bounce. It works for me and I rarely have a bad toss (in my opinion at least). I have tried the one arm toss and I cannot do it very consistently. I would suggest that you try some different techniques and come up with the most comfortable.

Peace
Two-handed for me, too, Rut.
My one hand toss looks like my shot, ... too far left, ...too far right, ...short, ... long and all right only 35% of the time.
Dang right-handed balls !
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the welcome. In my brief carrier, I have found this site and it's patrons to be a huge asset to me. I did my first JH games last night all went pretty good. I used a lot from what I've learned here.

I like that under the net trick. I've seen the two handed bounce technique many times, but why the bounce?
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 03:30pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
The answer is - whatever you feel comfortable with.... and practice, practice, practice. And, if it goes wrong, make sure your partner is there to blow the whistle, and line em up again!
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 03:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I like that under the net trick. I've seen the two handed bounce technique many times, but why the bounce?
I bounce the ball mainly because I get the players to give me room. If I hit a foot, they are likely too close. I used to throw the ball up without getting between the jumpers until I was given a few pointers from a clinician at a camp.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 03:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome. In my brief carrier, I have found this site and it's patrons to be a huge asset to me. I did my first JH games last night all went pretty good. I used a lot from what I've learned here.

The bounce:
  • can signal the players to pay attention,
  • can get your hands comfortably on the ball,
  • can hit your foot and leave the circle.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
Welcome to the board. Whatever form you use, practice it under the basket. As I stand under the basket, I'm aiming to go straight up through the bottom, then straight down. This is the only "nuthin but net" I can do anymore.
Alternately, practice over a marked spot on the floor that would represent the center of the jump circle. If the toss goes high enough and you can consistently land the ball on that spot, it will give just as good of a practice as the basket method.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

I use a volleyball technique

First, most gyms have a beam that runs right above the division line, so look for it. It helps

Second. As an old setter from Volleyball, I would always aim for a spot in space for the hitter to come spike the ball. It works well on the toss. When you step into the circle to toss the ball, you can gauge the height of the jumpers and determine where you want the ball to go. Then, try to toss to that spot in space. Its sounds a little goofy, but it works well for me.

Practice, practice, practice.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

I have tried three basic techniques:
  • One-handed underhand toss
  • Two-handed underhand toss
  • The shotput toss
In my experience the two-handed toss is more reliable than the one-handed. I have also learned that the shorter the distance the ball has to travel, the less opportunity for it to get "off course." So now I do all my tosses with the shotput. It cuts about three feet of vertical travel off the toss and seems to be the most reliable method I've tried.

BTW, I've seen Scott Thornley (MWC mens official) stand on the edge of the jump circle and toss it so that it drops down over the players. Interesting, even cutting edge, but hardly likely to fly in HS circles
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
I've actually found that it is much easier to skip the toss and just line up the fastest player from each team on their respective endline and have them race to the ball placed at center court. All the other players take their place around the circle as they would like but can not impede the players run at the ball. The sprinters must still tap the ball to a teammate. Other than some increased incidental contact, this works well for me.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

I do a one hand toss from chest level because thats' what works best for me. You'll figure out what's comfortable and what's not. If its a lower level game use different styles to see what works.... but if you botch it...retoss it. That's how you learn what works.