The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   association kowtowing to the schools (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31238-association-kowtowing-schools.html)

jdw3018 Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:29am

We don't have that problem with regular season games - typically one person on each crew is given mileage if the leagues still pay it, but many leagues around here have simply gone to paying more per game and eliminated mileage all together.

But, this is our state's policy on post-season games:

Per KSHSAA Executive Board Policy, 36¢ per mile to assigned driver.

Note: The KSHSAA will assign “a” driver to pick up and transport other officials when convenient. It is understood that frequently this will require game officials to either arrive and observe a contest prior to the one to which they are assigned or, to remain and observe the contest immediately following theirs. The professional growth opportunities available through observation of officials in game situations, whether young and less experienced or veteran officials, remains an invaluable learning tool, in addition to the positive support and camaraderie it provides.

When such assignments are not satisfactory, officials may choose to drive themselves but will not be reimbursed for the mileage. Only the designated driver will be paid mileage.

BillyMac Sat Jan 27, 2007 02:43pm

GameTime

Here, on our local IAABO board, varsity officials are strongly encouraged to get to the game site in time to watch the first three quarters of the junior varsity game. The varsity officials get dressed and have their pregame meeting during the fourth junior varsity quarter. Between games the varsity officials are expected to give feedback to the junior varsity officials about their junior varsity game, mechanics, calls, game management, positioning, etc. The junior varsity officials are strongly encouraged to stay and watch the varsity game until at least halftime, and during the varsity halftime intermission, the two crews discuss the first half of the varsity game.

After we all go home, we are all expected to rate our partners and the officials in the other game. These ratings are sent, secretly, to our commissioner at the end of the year. There is some talk on our board this year that junior varsity officials, especially junior varsity officials with limited experience, should not be allowed to rate varsity officials.

Rich Sat Jan 27, 2007 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindzebra
First off, driving together makes for a very good pregame...something many officials spend too little time on as it is...so that is a bonus.

Second, part of our jobs as veteran officials is to mentor our less experienced members, so IMO, you should be watching a large part of that JV game anyway, and they in turn should be watching yours...riding together, bonding, pre-gaming, talking about interesting plays, watching each other work, and breaking down the games on the ride home is a great way to strengthen your association.

So what were you complaining about again?;)

It's not part of the "job." It's something we should do in order to give back to people that mentored us, but for it to be mandated is ridiculous.

Camron Rust Sat Jan 27, 2007 04:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
Here, on our local IAABO board, varsity officials are strongly encouraged to get to the game site in time to watch the first three quarters of the junior varsity game. The varsity officials get dressed and have their pregame meeting during the fourth junior varsity quarter. Between games the varsity officials are expected to give feedback to the junior varsity officials about their junior varsity game, mechanics, calls, game management, positioning, etc. The junior varsity officials are strongly encouraged to stay and watch the varsity game until at least halftime, and during the varsity halftime intermission, the two crews discuss the first half of the varsity game.

After we all go home, we are all expected to rate our partners and the officials in the other game. These ratings are sent, secretly, to our commissioner at the end of the year. There is some talk on our board this year that junior varsity officials, especially junior varsity officials with limited experience, should not be allowed to rate varsity officials.

That is all good, but is it necessary/reasonable to expect that the Varsity officials get to the JV game in time for the JV officials to dress, pregame, etc....perhaps 45 minutes or more before the game. On the flip side, is it reasonable to expect the JV officials to hand around after the varsity game while the varsity officials shower.

Seperate mileage for each crew (if mileage is paid at all) is the only equitable thing to do.

Rich Sat Jan 27, 2007 05:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust
That is all good, but is it necessary/reasonable to expect that the Varsity officials get to the JV game in time for the JV officials to dress, pregame, etc....perhaps 45 minutes or more before the game. On the flip side, is it reasonable to expect the JV officials to hand around after the varsity game while the varsity officials shower.

Seperate mileage for each crew (if mileage is paid at all) is the only equitable thing to do.

One reason I only work varsity games is that I can actually work at my day job longer. I don't have that luxury during baseball/football season.

We're expected to arrive at 6:30PM for a 7:30PM start around here. Sometimes we show up at 6:15PM. The day I'm expected to arrive at 5:15PM for a 5:45PM JV start and then stay until 9:15PM or later....

Camron Rust Sun Jan 28, 2007 01:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
One reason I only work varsity games is that I can actually work at my day job longer. I don't have that luxury during baseball/football season.

We're expected to arrive at 6:30PM for a 7:30PM start around here. Sometimes we show up at 6:15PM. The day I'm expected to arrive at 5:15PM for a 5:45PM JV start and then stay until 9:15PM or later....

Exactly!

If I had to show up for a JV game, I'd have to give up officiating. JV games start at 5:45. To arrive at 5pm or before, I'd have to leave work at 4 for many sites....not possible.